[SOLUTION] Couch Coop, "None of your characters are eligible to join current game"

I finally have figure out why we get “None of your characters are eligible to join current game” message, and how to fix it.

Reason for error: Your coop partner P2 hasnt completed prologue properly, and you need to redo it.

Description: Your coop partner P2 either joined too late or missed a quest or two right at the beginning of Prologue, resulted in you P1 completing prologue but your partner P2 missing a dialogue or two, and stuck in prologue.

Solution: Create a new character for P1. Your coop partner P2 should be able to join you right away. Make your coop partner P2 LEAD the way and clear prologue. You will know they are clearing prologue when they start receiving XP for completion prologue quests.

Once your coop partner P2 completes prologue (a message will appear that say that), you can switch P1 back to your original character and continue playing.

Total time for prologue completion is one hour. Good luck and have fun.

Note: I wanted to post this in “Console Discussion” but for some reason I cannot post or comment there so tough luck. Hope I could help everyone here! The prologue absolutely sucks and shouldn’t be a prerequisite to continue playing.

2 Likes

It worked!!! Thank you so much I was at a loss 100% right!!

1 Like

Glad I could help.

One big giveaway that your prologue partner is not getting progression is P1 gets XP but P2 doesnt get XP. If that happens, something was missed.

Right, but ive done the prologue and my partner joined by creating a new char… fine. No prob! But, then we leave the game and come back after dinner and the character my partner created is gone.

There needs to be clear definitions of how coop works. Because right now it seems totally broken.

1 Like

This is not a solution, as there is a significant issue with couch coop. The ONLY way to play couch coop is to start a new char and complete the prologue. Your partner can only join you at this moment and create a character. If you close the game or it crashes, your partner’s character disappears, and you’re now forced to start another character and complete the prologue AGAIN if you want to play couch coop again. Totally and completely broken.

1 Like

running into this today as well - played about 7 hours of couch co-op yesterday and today can’t continue with my couch co-op character. due to the login issues I definitely joined after the prologue (and haven’t been getting main questline xp as mentioned above) so I’ll try the workaround and report back. this definitely needs a more comprehensive fix in the long run though

yep that worked! thanks op :heart::heart:

1 Like

Hey teamfrolic,

This 100% needs a permanent fix because I really panicked when it first happened. Took me a day to figure it out. Very silly oversight. If someone wants to create a new character mid-game, you have to go through this prologue problem all over again.

Skip the prologue should be an option.

I have the issue today and I do not want to start the whole game again. This should be fixed.

Co-op badly needs to be fixed, I can’t log back into my character and join the co-op character my partner created to play with me.

Every time we try to play together, I get the “no characters eligible.” We played using fresh character originally, got pass the prologue, take a break, log back and I can’t join. We try again with a fresh set of characters: same problem. No regression being made on the primary account with this co-op character, but we can’t play together without starting over and I’m not doing the prologue a third time.

What’s the problem here Blizzard?

2 Likes

Same here, even after following directions in this post and going through prologue a second time, it’s still broken. This is very dumb. It was already stupid that my second player had to create a battle.net account instead of just playing as a guest, but this is really a cherry on top.

The silly thing that seems to work for me for now is:

1. Start game on P1 as my 2nd character which was created purely to do the workaround by running thru the prologue again.
  2. Have P2, which is otherwise “ineligible,” join game.
  3. P1 leaves game.
  4. P1 rejoin game as desired original character, which is for some reason permitted.

Why does this need to be so hard? Why this restriction AT ALL?

1 Like

Had that same issue since day 1, had to create a whole new character to have my couch co-op rejoin. Made progress and definitely passed the prologue. Now I am not sure if I want to try and play the game solo just to have couch co-op unable to join later. Any insight on that happening?

The workaround does not work for me.
Why can’t they fix this bug! Expensive game that does not provide the promoted features!

Not working. Your information is not valid. However, once I went back to town second player was able to sign in. Maybe this will help others

Same. Another example of untested mechanics. It’s ridiculous.

I have 2 children, Diablo 4 2 players is so interesting. I have my case : begin a new game, create new player 2 when start new game. So 2 players can do quest and get level at the same time. They can be together all time. I notice one detail : some lands need level and complete quest… so 2 player needs to be same level and do quest already.
I create 2 account for 2 players.

I have to register 2 account battle.net. Play same time , do quest same time…. Create your PS5 account 2 accounts and get 2 accounts battle.net link to 2 PS5 accounts. This is my discover :laughing:

This is a necro, but it’s the first search that popped up in my google. This exact thing happened to me and my gf today… and oh boy… this is act 1 prologue, and I am on act IV already…

quick update: She only needed to the prologue quest, and was able to proceed later as normal (she was only one quest behind me).

Hope that helps someone.