Skill points - can’t refund

Anyone else having this problem?

Edit: Patch 1.0.2.42131 is out today and has fixed this problem.

1 Like

Yes, had to use full respec.

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t want to blow 40k gold just to respec a few points.

So it’s unofficially confirmed: early access players paid to be beta testers. Unreal.

1 Like

The server is having problems right now, might be related

2 Likes

If refunding the skill point would break the tree (i.e your skills further down), you cannot refund single ones above without removing some below.

4 Likes

That is of course obvious man. The problem is I can’t remove even small nodes at the very end of big nodes, or remove a point out of say 5/5 to make it 4/5.

1 Like

is there an error message of any sort that pops up when you try?

I have not. I’ve respec’d a few points a couple of times now.

Error message:

You cannot refund a node that is required to keep the cluster unlocked.

It makes no sense especially for those small tip end nodes. I’m trying to switch basic skill - cold chill node to the cold vulnerable node.

1 Like

Because you’re obviously missing one somewhere. I had the same problem until I backtracked my previous ~10 choices or something.

This is likely because you can’t respec the node without removing the points spent on that skill itself. You have to work backwards. I.E. If you’re specced all the way down the tree and then you want to change your basic skill, you have to spend an equal amount in another basic skill before you remove them from the one basic skill you have; because you need X points spent inside the basic node to access all the ones in lower nodes.

If you have no skill points, you must start at the bottom to free up enough points to invest in the minimum, then spend them in the skill you now want, then remove them from the skill you no longer wanted, and reinvest those back into the skills at the bottom that you used to keep the nodes open.

In short; Y’all just not understanding how the nodes work. If you do a full respec; it’ll work, because duh. You could have done it without doing a full respec if you understood how the nodes work.

In other words, the game is smarter than you.

1 Like

It means that the point you are trying to remove is vital cause of it’s contribution to the main vein of the tree. It means that it and everything in it’s depth is required the meet the minimum requirements of a larger node deeper in the main tree itself, not just like core skills or whatever.

I have tree all the way down. I’m level 34. I removed 2 small nodes connected to frozen orb. I put those points in to blizzard. I trie removing point from orb 5/5. Not allowed:

You cannot refund a node that is required to keep the cluster unlocked.

Ok, so by being able to remove the 2 small nodes, this basically destroys your logic. Also what if I want to use lightning instead of frozen orb? Or both? Why can’t I reduce orb to 3/5 and make lightning 2/5? Respec is broken man.

Another example, I have ice bolt as basic skill and have 2 small nodes connected. It won’t let me respec the end node to the other node, both attached the parent.

1 Like

It makes perfect sense. I.E. You need 5 points in this node to unlock the next node. If 3 of those 5 points are a skill and 2 branches, then removing a skill point from the branch will be impossible because it’ll put your node investment at 4, so that would force you to not have access to any of the skill points spent in lower nodes.

Again, if this is too complicated for you, then Diablo isn’t your game, because the game is smarter than you.

1 Like

At least you are smarter than the game.

1 Like

Talking about the entire tree, not the twigs for the skills. You need X number of points to have skills further down selected. If you remove too many it breaks that.

1 Like

D4 latest hot fix, version 1.0.2.42131. I can now refund points where it was impossible before.

2 key note worthy facts:

• Looks like you aren’t smarter than the game. Not even close.
  • I am smarter than the game.

L M A O

1 Like

This part, lol thank you.

I thought the same thing but actually they’re totally right. It was impossible before before because you had less skill points. There’s no bug, the clusters it’s talking about are the branches further down the tree you unlock when you spend enough points, like the one with all your ultimate skills. Refund enough points from the end of your tree first if its still happening

1 Like

So, in other words a bug

It makes no sense for an enhancement slot of a skill to be dependent on the rest of the tree, it never happens normally for skills