Skill-based Endgame Systems

agree. i mean there are suggestions, and you know, wanting to redesign the game.
now, if one thinks d4 is boring and soulless, thats very much their right. Instead of redesigning the game id personally look for alternatives that suit me better.

this thread belongs rather into the “trying to redesign the game”-category. nothing wrong with trying i guess? just not seeing it happening.

4 Likes

A bit too much TLDR but just as a simple concept to clarify:

Are you suggesting:

• Combo-based spells (Spell A does A then Spell B does AB)

OR

• Combo-based skill trees (more akin to LE ?)

The first one exists in D:I b.t.w., was an interesting part of the game before it became p2w but IDK, not having an opinion yet

As for the latter, not entirely convinced that “what player does” needs to be addressed as much as taking another look at mobs and all the “repetitive runs” the game consists of rather :thinking:

Combo can mean different things. Think sequential skill levels where you’re automatically offered a refreshed skill bar after performing one action per level. A preceding action can or cannot affect the next set of options, which you can identify by if statements. At this point I don’t think I’ve included an interaction where skills mix in the environment. The first examples I provided are directly tied to normal abilities as follow-ups for the specific normal ability you’ve just used. The rest of the examples are independent additional skill structures that you can enter or exit by the use of a button.

The game is not only lame because of simple mobs and “repetitive runs”. It’s lame because your character is lame - it can’t do much at any point in time, and indeed, it actually does quite little and the repetition is mind-numbing. These things go hand-in-hand.

1 Like

Yes, but how do you decide what a certain of your skills does “extra” ?

Is that something you unlock, equip, learn, buy, select on paragon, select on skill tree, select in a skill menu (similar to Enchantments), do you commit or can swap on the fly ?, e.t.c… :thinking: :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is an entirely different concept and I didn’t get that from the original post.

This is a completely different design to the combat model of Diablo and basically every ARPG on the market.

You’re looking for Street Fighter or Tekken in ARPG form. This is not that.
If you want an in-depth combat system with streaks, combos, and such, then you probably want to look somewhere else.

I never wish for people to go away, I wish for them to face reality of what the game is and what they want it to be. I also know Blizzard as I’ve been with them quite literally since Rock N Roll racing. I will bet you the expansion price (just 40 bucks) your idea, and 99.9% of the ideas on this forum will never come to fruition.

I applaud yours and everyone else enthusiasm, effort and time put into all of your ideas. However you would have better luck banding together, making a kickstarter and learning programming before they incorporate these ideas into D4.

I’ve liked your ideas. This current one isn’t bad either, but again I just don’t see it happening in D4. This has everything to do with the developers and the amount of work it would take to completely change the game from almost the ground up.

Let’s do an experiment. Go through the forum, and just pick a date range. Let’s say from June 15 2023 to August 15 2023. Or any dates you want honestly. Look at all the ideas from people. Tell me what percent of ideas posted have made it into the game since then. I doubt you’ll be surprised.

Just as I’m not surprised when ideas such as these never get implemented. So as always, good luck, and I wish you well.

3 Likes

On that note, Blizzard have specifically said that they do not take ideas/suggestions from the forums. They take notes on how things make people feel, and adjust accordingly.

There are some exceptions of course, and these are most likely due to coincidence as opposed to them taking an idea verbatim.

I agree though, the ideas are nice from a combat system perspective, it’s just not D4, so making your own game that works this way would be a better option.

1 Like

This is a great idea, but Blizzard will never do it because insert random excuses here to do it.

1 Like

Yes… I think that a general system, where you can save different styles according to the challenges, is easier to implement than the arsenal that has to change the entire paragon.

So we could have points for: Increasing boss damage, area damage, attack speed, chance of gaining another skill, etc. This would refine more builds due to their shortcomings.

We could change their types. Like ice hydra, rapid fire with guided missiles, poison grenades, etc. But that would be more complex.

what people want: new exciting skill upgrades with endless combinations and badass visuals.

what people get: pit +100 stages and 2000 platin pet skins.

1 Like

That’s not how the devs work either, they have some “roadmap” that they follow, perhaps 10% from that comes from here, then they ask for feedback whether or not what they thought of did well

Not bashing on that idea (or way of working), but here’s the problem - back at the start there were about 10x pieces of feedback that were better thought and measured than any of the “loud mouth” streamers, and people were patient and reasonable (for about 3 weeks) before everyone started becoming more “toxic”

Now after all that “extra effort gymnastics” and “reworks” one after another you’re saying “pls, miracle cures only”, which is largely the reason why even got where we got in the first place

One of those “miracle cures” was density increase (still bad move b.t.w.)

The next of those “miracle cures” was Damage Buckets rework (in other words making Crit and Vuln additive as opposed to multiplicative), maybe did better, not sure, but

• It would’ve been easier (and fairer) to just remove Exploit from the game

Then scaling got “screwed with” badly, basically one-shotting everything until lvl85, 90, 95 at times even (depending on the build)

And now - sure, arguably the road to 100 is “paved well” but the problem of that is the road to 60-70 has been completely trivialized

Sorry to say but “easy miracle fixes” won’t fix those problems… And even worse - the very approach to implement “easy miracle fixes” like the ones mentioned above are/were part of the problem in the first place

The bucket reworks are good. Now not every build needs to stack on Vulnerable and Crit Dmg.

Ironically they still kept two skills in the game that scale with no cap off vulnerable and crit damage… and they are still the strongest builds in the game =_=

If they would remove the cap on, for example, Ice Damage for sorcs, or Crowd Control for Druids, I mean why are these even capped, Sorc can’t even get more than 500% Ice Damage or so and they still felt they needed to cap the multiplier to 30%. Druid CC% ggot capped to 40x. Yet Barb Vulnerability and Crit Damage are unlimited and go up to 4000% or so. Rogue Vulnerability goes up to around 2000%.

The design and decision making skills of the D4 team is incomprehensible.

1 Like

I agree but the alternative solution would’ve been to try out with applicability limitation, i.e. instead of whole screen of mobs being rendered vulnerable just a few/several ones in vicinity

That could/would (and frankly should) have been tried out first

I get it, it is easy in hindsight to argue about things, but the reason why I pointed that out is the “drive for finding an easy miraculous fix” (density increase for faster leveling or whatever, then later instead of reducing applicability rate of Vuln to completely gut the two mechanics, then to overreact to “no target farming” again to put all the Uniques in boss fights, e.t.c.)

i.e. overkill, overreaction, overkill, overreaction - one after another (all in the attempt to make a “miracle fix that will solve them all at once”)

IS what brought us here in the first place

I would love a more skill based system where you can get somewhat further based on your ability. That would require something like unlimited roll movement or something. It should be a combination of skill and gear. Also, there should be more skills and more ways to make fun builds.

The biggest problem and I don’t understand why this is so hard is balance. Why can’t they make a system that balances the game? Do they break it on purpose?

If they can make more depth to skills and get the balance right so things do what they are labeled to do, I’d be happy.

Yes, additional content would be lovely - more skills, more skins, more items, more monsters. What do you imagine it’ll cost?

The additional skills come as endgame loot drops, along with any other related items if applicable (i.e. additional skill containment structures and inter-level effects). This should make the item hunt itself more exciting.

That’s called innovation. I also wouldn’t call it completely different but more evolved. The reality is the traditional ARPG “combat model” hasn’t even exited the primordial ocean. The time is coming for something better. The inadequacy of the current ARPG standard of spamming one skill and an extremely simple rotation incessantly will one day render the conversations we’re having right now ludicrous. That’s called vision.

It’s the same one. :wink:

In a nutshell. The weird thing about Blizzard is that if anyone has the resources to offer a better playing experience it’s them.

The thing about balance is that I’ve never seen it. So you can fail at balancing something exceedingly simple to play or you can finally start pushing the envelope.

1 Like

I would prefer skill to matter, but in order to do that they would have to make mechanics matter and create difficulty through something other than HP and damage sliders for the enemies.

They would also have to tone back our ability to one shot everything other than bosses which will never go over well with the player base. It seems the majority of players just want to blast in this game and a majority of those players want to be able to do so by playing however they want.

Bottom line there is no skill here, only math. If you are good at math you can absolutely wreck this game. If you are able to copy someone else’s math you will probably wreck the game even harder.

Interesting idea but the problem is can use only 6 skills at a time, the item-equipped skill better perform comparable to the already equipped ones so there’s a reason people forego one skill of theirs (or maybe limit to 2 additional skills) so the game does not go full piano mode :smiley:

This alone should be able to do it (or at least sufficiently enough to make it work), thanks for the clarification :slight_smile:

The additional skills go on their own action bars. The action buttons stay the same, the concept works via actions remapping onto the buttons, whether triggered by another button to enter an additional skills structure, by executing a normal skill, or by executing an additional skill within a grouping. It’s like multiplying your current action bar without changing the keys. The forced progression requires that you make considerable decisions as you play, adding consequence to your actions.

The irony of the math approach is that the playing experience ends up being the dumbest (and rather unfulfilling), and most people have some awareness of it. You aren’t the only one who’s disillusioned and wishes for more. There are many ways in which things can work, most have been relatively unexplored in this genre. In my opinion this is close to the rock-bottom of gaming, which, again in my opinion, explains why this is a niche genre. I dislike the wasted potential, especially in Blizzard’s case where they have the sensory and technical foundations and the capability to do better.

What a well thought out read

1 Like