Skill-based Endgame Systems

That’s not how the devs work either, they have some “roadmap” that they follow, perhaps 10% from that comes from here, then they ask for feedback whether or not what they thought of did well

Not bashing on that idea (or way of working), but here’s the problem - back at the start there were about 10x pieces of feedback that were better thought and measured than any of the “loud mouth” streamers, and people were patient and reasonable (for about 3 weeks) before everyone started becoming more “toxic”

Now after all that “extra effort gymnastics” and “reworks” one after another you’re saying “pls, miracle cures only”, which is largely the reason why even got where we got in the first place

One of those “miracle cures” was density increase (still bad move b.t.w.)

The next of those “miracle cures” was Damage Buckets rework (in other words making Crit and Vuln additive as opposed to multiplicative), maybe did better, not sure, but

• It would’ve been easier (and fairer) to just remove Exploit from the game

Then scaling got “screwed with” badly, basically one-shotting everything until lvl85, 90, 95 at times even (depending on the build)

And now - sure, arguably the road to 100 is “paved well” but the problem of that is the road to 60-70 has been completely trivialized

Sorry to say but “easy miracle fixes” won’t fix those problems… And even worse - the very approach to implement “easy miracle fixes” like the ones mentioned above are/were part of the problem in the first place

The bucket reworks are good. Now not every build needs to stack on Vulnerable and Crit Dmg.

Ironically they still kept two skills in the game that scale with no cap off vulnerable and crit damage… and they are still the strongest builds in the game =_=

If they would remove the cap on, for example, Ice Damage for sorcs, or Crowd Control for Druids, I mean why are these even capped, Sorc can’t even get more than 500% Ice Damage or so and they still felt they needed to cap the multiplier to 30%. Druid CC% ggot capped to 40x. Yet Barb Vulnerability and Crit Damage are unlimited and go up to 4000% or so. Rogue Vulnerability goes up to around 2000%.

The design and decision making skills of the D4 team is incomprehensible.

1 Like

I agree but the alternative solution would’ve been to try out with applicability limitation, i.e. instead of whole screen of mobs being rendered vulnerable just a few/several ones in vicinity

That could/would (and frankly should) have been tried out first

I get it, it is easy in hindsight to argue about things, but the reason why I pointed that out is the “drive for finding an easy miraculous fix” (density increase for faster leveling or whatever, then later instead of reducing applicability rate of Vuln to completely gut the two mechanics, then to overreact to “no target farming” again to put all the Uniques in boss fights, e.t.c.)

i.e. overkill, overreaction, overkill, overreaction - one after another (all in the attempt to make a “miracle fix that will solve them all at once”)

IS what brought us here in the first place

I would love a more skill based system where you can get somewhat further based on your ability. That would require something like unlimited roll movement or something. It should be a combination of skill and gear. Also, there should be more skills and more ways to make fun builds.

The biggest problem and I don’t understand why this is so hard is balance. Why can’t they make a system that balances the game? Do they break it on purpose?

If they can make more depth to skills and get the balance right so things do what they are labeled to do, I’d be happy.

Yes, additional content would be lovely - more skills, more skins, more items, more monsters. What do you imagine it’ll cost?

The additional skills come as endgame loot drops, along with any other related items if applicable (i.e. additional skill containment structures and inter-level effects). This should make the item hunt itself more exciting.

That’s called innovation. I also wouldn’t call it completely different but more evolved. The reality is the traditional ARPG “combat model” hasn’t even exited the primordial ocean. The time is coming for something better. The inadequacy of the current ARPG standard of spamming one skill and an extremely simple rotation incessantly will one day render the conversations we’re having right now ludicrous. That’s called vision.

It’s the same one. :wink:

In a nutshell. The weird thing about Blizzard is that if anyone has the resources to offer a better playing experience it’s them.

The thing about balance is that I’ve never seen it. So you can fail at balancing something exceedingly simple to play or you can finally start pushing the envelope.

1 Like

I would prefer skill to matter, but in order to do that they would have to make mechanics matter and create difficulty through something other than HP and damage sliders for the enemies.

They would also have to tone back our ability to one shot everything other than bosses which will never go over well with the player base. It seems the majority of players just want to blast in this game and a majority of those players want to be able to do so by playing however they want.

Bottom line there is no skill here, only math. If you are good at math you can absolutely wreck this game. If you are able to copy someone else’s math you will probably wreck the game even harder.

Interesting idea but the problem is can use only 6 skills at a time, the item-equipped skill better perform comparable to the already equipped ones so there’s a reason people forego one skill of theirs (or maybe limit to 2 additional skills) so the game does not go full piano mode :smiley:

This alone should be able to do it (or at least sufficiently enough to make it work), thanks for the clarification :slight_smile:

The additional skills go on their own action bars. The action buttons stay the same, the concept works via actions remapping onto the buttons, whether triggered by another button to enter an additional skills structure, by executing a normal skill, or by executing an additional skill within a grouping. It’s like multiplying your current action bar without changing the keys. The forced progression requires that you make considerable decisions as you play, adding consequence to your actions.

The irony of the math approach is that the playing experience ends up being the dumbest (and rather unfulfilling), and most people have some awareness of it. You aren’t the only one who’s disillusioned and wishes for more. There are many ways in which things can work, most have been relatively unexplored in this genre. In my opinion this is close to the rock-bottom of gaming, which, again in my opinion, explains why this is a niche genre. I dislike the wasted potential, especially in Blizzard’s case where they have the sensory and technical foundations and the capability to do better.

What a well thought out read

1 Like

This is such a good idea reading it again

1 Like

I do appreciate the effort OP made into creating this thread but I honestly disagree. I’m not calling the OP stupid or anything like that though.

I think the ideas make for a really interesting combat system. One I wouldn’t mind seeing in other games.

Diablo though, is a pure bred action RPG of old. They were never really about amazing player skill. Sure, skill could matter but in the end you were wading through hordes of monsters slaying them as quickly as possible and hunting for better loot. It’s just what these games are.

Personally, I feel OP’s suggestion would take Diablo to far away from the type of game Diablo and other ARPG’s are. Just my opinion.

1 Like

That I think is the problem. This rigid attachment to the past. I keep running into it again and again. It’s not that anyone actually knows how things can be different or better. There’s a simultaneous dissatisfaction with ARPG games (here D4 and D3 in particular) and a funny refusal to be open-minded to anything different, an evolution of these games. If what I’m suggesting is truly incompatible with Diablo I wouldn’t bother suggesting it. It’s an advancement in an area everyone knows is (very) weak. It’s also something modular enough that people who cling to the same old, same old don’t have to participate.