''$$ shop items will not look flashy or better than any gear available as drop in game'' --- D4 promotional videos before release

It is incredibly illegal to falsely advertise to the public. But these companies bring in revenue for the states their based in so nobody wants to do anything about it

Rod Ferguson in last interview on question ‘‘before D4 was released,you stated there wont be any flashy gear in $$ shop. $$ shop gear would be on pair with the cosmetics we get for playing the game’’

‘’‘‘As with each season,we kind of are getting more comfortable with ,okay,our launch is over we’ve had out ‘‘authentic moment’’ so we can start to turn the dial to be a little bit more fantastic’’ —Rod Ferguson

In other words ''we sold you a lie (no items in $$ shop would look better than the items you loot in game) after our lie and after you already bought D4 , we gonna start selling you best looking armor in game for $$

I knew this would happen…but i didnt think they would literally go out on social media and say ‘‘F you suckers’’ to everyone.

They never said in their D4 prepurchase bait videos ‘‘there wont be flashy gear in $$ shop until we feel comfortable releasing it’’ they presented it in that way,it looked like we gonna get a lot of nice looking items as drops . (i have been getting same items for 3 seasons now) and more and more flashy overpriced items in $$ store.

14 Likes

“A fool and his money are soon parted.”

2 Likes

I don’t know, isn’t this exactly what everyone should have expected.
Blizzard loves being “technically right” (even when they are genuinely wrong), also see the Diablo Immortal P2W shenanigans.

5 Likes

So does this mean you’re going to stop buying items in the store or keep buying them? I’m a little confused by the post is all.

I don’t buy items regardless, but to each their own.

4 Likes

Why not? People actively defend it and ask for games to have more MTX under the false-assumption that it “funds future projects” and “supports the game”

2 Likes

He’s not specifically saying that the cosmetics will be better looking, though they probably will be. What he is referring to is the lore and world appropriateness of the cosmetics. Before the game launched they talked about having only cosmetics that felt grounded in the world of Sanctuary which would make sense for time and place. They’re just saying that they’re going to open up the available themes to be broader and more fantastical, and not necessarily in alignment with the overall aesthetic of the game. Your gripe is probably legitimate regardless, but not based on Rod’s language here. :v:

1 Like

WoW sells characters boosts afters saying they would never do that.

You got baited child.

2 Likes

Easiest way to show the team you do not like this, is to not buy anything, from any cosmetic store.

2 Likes

Is there a source for when they said that cosmetics in the shop wouldn’t look ‘better’ than in-game attainable cosmetics?

It would be a wierd thing to say since its completely subjective in the first place.

But considering they havn’t even said that now all the ‘fancy’ stuff is only going to be in the store… this is all pretty much in OPs head.

It was pretty scummy of them to say that but to be honest, I don’t know why anybody ever took their word on it. They would never add comparable cosmetics to the game for free because doing so would directly cut into potential profits they could earn from the store.

1 Like

I don’t mind and have bought several items from the shop. Yes, I know. I am paying irl money for pixels but I love mogs and to me, it is worth it.
But OP is 100% right… the shop mogs are much nicer than what is currently in game. Has been that way since launch imho.

4 Likes

Yay, more things I’m not going to buy in the store!

All I have to say: things change. Tons have things changed from beta/pre-releasr to today’s game.

I don’t really mind the cosmetics shop having better looking items. If I desire them, I can get them. What perturbs me is changing paid-for cosmetics after the purchase. Several have done this.

It does suck that there’s no possible way to get anything close to what’s in the store by playing. That’s the downside of live service games even if it’s just cosmetics. They still matter because you’re looking at and playing your character all the time, and everyone wants theirs to look cool and powerful.

2 Likes

Its one of this promises that was inevitably going to be broken at some point. However, I would still expect them to add new base cosmetics as part of each expansion. That will level the playing field for a period but ultimately shop cosmetics will continue to push the boundary. I think what is important is the season pass rewards are good, its questionable if they are good enough right now.

I still think some of the in game cosmetics are better than the shop - especially for the Necromancer.

No one actually though the shop cosmetics wouldn’t continue to get dialed up though right?

1 Like

ofcourse paid cosmetics are going to look better than free ones available in game. did anyone actually think otherwise?

1 Like

Let me find the campfire chat, it was way pre game release they did actually state in game cosmetic would always be on par with the store.

I’m not surprised they are not, but I am saddened by the lacking amount of variety in in-game items. I feel they could add to it without negative effect to sales.

There where way more shiny in-game glow effected weapons during closed beta testing that I am yet to see here in-game or in-store. Only sole survivor seems to be mother’s fang dagger.

Gods only know why they removed them come live.

1 Like

I’ve not seen a single thing on the store I felt really ‘into’ to buy, thusfar.

Plus, since I play mostly Druid, I’m always just a damn bear or wolf anyway, and wouldn’t get to see what I bought…

So, they’re shooting themselves in the foot, financially, with Druid players by not making non-form caster or melee builds a thing.

Heavens forbid I be a top tier caster wind Druid in human form.

Ive only bought the battlepass a couple times and the druid electric armor set.

Not the first. Rember they also didnt want to have just stat-stick paragonboard unlike PoE? Or they wanted it to be more like D2 ? Or they wanted it not be like D3, damagewise and loot-wise? Or rich endgame? Or play your way? Or 150 Dungeons?
I lol’d hard.
They just wont stop with their lies and greedyness.
It plagues the whole gaming industry, watch what happened with Escape from tarkov today. Those devs / management today are just completely lost.

1 Like