Season 2 Feedback

Hello devs , Here is some feedback that I wrote down while I was playing season 2.

Group Play in Diablo 4

In my opinion, in Diablo 4, there are two essential aspects of group play: the incentive to group up and tools for finding groups. While the game excels in one of these aspects, it falls short in the other.

Personal loot, XP bonuses, and various other features make grouping up with others a rewarding. Playing alongside others doesn’t feel like a penalty, this is great.

However, compared to D2, D4 lacks a tool for finding groups. In Diablo 2, we had the game lobby, which allowed the community to create and discover custom games easily. It was fun seeing the community finding min-maxed ways to level, like joining a tomb run, watching your XP bar climb rapidly.

In Diablo 4, I’ve found myself playing solo more often, mainly because there’s no in-game tool for finding groups other than relying on external platforms like Discord. While lobbies might not be the ideal solution, introducing a group finder feature would greatly enhance the game’s social aspect and encourage more group play.

Overworld Feedback

Diablo 4 adopts a more open-world approach to the overworld, which offers many advantages. However, occasionally, I miss for the more linear progression seen in Diablo 2. The structured journey through Act 3, knowing that you’d eventually reach Travincal by traveling deeper into the jungle, added depth to the game. Even if you had the WP to Mephisto, you still had to explore two more floors, creating a sense of anticipation.

In Diablo 4, the maps can sometimes feel bland and flat, lacking the sense of threat or uniqueness. Injecting more depth into the maps would be a welcome improvement to create a more immersive experience, this can be a challenge though since it’s a very different game.

Optimizing the Campaign for Replayability

One of Diablo 4’s strengths lies in its stunning campaign. However, after completing the campaign with my main character, I did not find the motivation to start a new character due to the repetitive nature of the leveling process.

In contrast, Diablo 2 always incorporates the campaign when leveling new characters, making it an essential part of the experience. I believe there’s untapped potential in optimizing Diablo 4’s campaign for subsequent walkthroughs. This could involve making certain steps skippable and increasing the pacing to make it the fastest way to reach level 50 and opening it up for speed running.

Players that already completed the campaign might not want to watch all the cinematics again, but a streamlined campaign experience for leveling new characters would be greatly appreciated.

Loot Discovery in Diablo 4

Discovering great loot in Diablo 4 can sometimes be hard.
I usually find myself with a full inventory, spending time analyzing each item to find something valuable.

In contrast, Diablo 2 had a more immediate and gratifying loot discovery system. When a valuable item dropped, you knew it instantly, whether it was a unique item or a high rune.

Diablo 4 takes a step in the right direction by treating legendary drops differently, they are displayed on your map, accompanied by a distinct sound, and automatically sent to your stash if not picked up. However, the majority of the time the legendary items are mediocre since the stats are the most important when looking for loot.

2 Likes

I cant agree more with this. In D2 uniques were good. You knew if something good dropped. Common, magic and rare items were mostly trash but you had to look at them. They didnt drop the same way “rares” drop in the game. You could do dozens of chaos runs not picking up anything because of the tier system.

D2 also didnt have smart loot so you saw all uniques drop instead of the limited pool we see today. The overall approach in making uniques sup par was a mistake and the codex is useless.

I hated what runewords did post 1.09 but overall sets were not bis but were balanced enough to be usable (execpt the druid/sin set). Uniques were also rare and lets face it the mf system in D2 was great.

There are a lot of things they can do. I do want D4 to be its own thing but they can pull the good systems in D2 and D3 without having a D3 clone.

It will be interesting what occurs in s4.

2 Likes

As long as it’s still optional you can make whatever changes you’d like to the campaign in my opinion. I personally would never want to play through it again. The only reason we did so in D2 was because there was literally nothing else to do. There were no endgame mechanics except for Baal runs and eventually Ubers. D2 campaign was so streamlined though to the point where you could complete the whole thing in a matter of 30 minutes with people skipping you everywhere. It didn’t add anything to the game by completing it multiple times per se, it was just a means to an end.

not really, the mf system was beyond bad imo. I didnt miss mf in GD, i didnt missed it in TQ, i didnt missed it in LE. And i still enjoy those games.
An artificial layer that served no real purpose, and made for some questionable gaming moments. There is a reason that is gone.