[S4] Barb builds - HOTA

We agree this is the wrong fix…as I have said before the core issue is the # of multiplier slots in play. But this is the way they chose to address it. I do think this is messier and will break something else but their game and their decisions and all.

I love when people take a stance like this when crying about their broken op build. You mistake other people’s “lack of caring” for “not understanding”.

Sorc has had things removed before, that weren’t even OP, like Icefall?. But it was a CC based barrier completely removed for 15% frost damage to vuln or something. For a class that had limited applications of vuln at the time. For someone using a blizzard build that was a huge change(CC), I am sure someone cried about it, but it wasn’t me.

Feel free to overreact but the better approach would be to wait for PTR and give your feedback. Who knows maybe they will change it to what you want or you will have to adapt.

The Furious HOTA passive upgrade scaled HOTA’s damage with max fury. That system of damage scaling has been eliminated and is now something completely different.

I am a necromancer player. I don’t know what is there for me to adapt.

Obvious tying a huge multiplier to mechanic that is based on the amount of rage, is what made Hota so strong.

Problem was or is, its the game itself. If rage was a resource that would be hard to aquire such a mechanic makes sense, not in that super op way. But it would make sense if barbs resource gain would be tactical and not like its current iteration, where it is never a probelm to fill it.

Then a strong hitter like the current Hota would be cool cause it would have its drawbacks.

Is the nerf warranted? yes. Is it the correct way who knows, but to balance Hota with that rage mechanic stay the same, u would need to change barbs whole system of rage aquirement. So they did the easy way instead and removed that for now, until they find a better solution. Which is my guess happened here.

Its a numerical change, not mechanical.

Furious Hammer grants 1% dmg per fury multiplicatively. Decently (not PERFECT) geared barb average about 220 fury. it is 220% multi dmg or 3.2x dmg (since D3, you do 100% dmg, any % increase is x% +1 in presentation). Mechanical nerf would be HoTA now can not scale with beserking/OP or can not crit etc.

I havent done the exact maths, but some claims a 85% nerf which is 6.67x. If we use that and if you are doing 850 mil in s3, post nerf with CLASSIC gears, you d be doing 127 mil (850/6.67). Still face rolling NMD 100. Any damage over 100 mil is NOT entirely DEAD.

There are still room to grow in power from tempering/masterworking/greater affix as well as generic stat inflation/buff in 1.4.0 base patch. I did not do actual numbers of upheaval, will do to compare. Thing is alot of those nerfs aren’t HoTA exclusive, it nerfs other barb builds as well.

That explains a ton.

Furious Hammer of the Ancients

• Previous - Hammer of the Ancients deals 1% increased damage for each point of Fury you had when using it.
  • Now - Hammer of the Ancients gains 2%[+] increased Critical Strike Chance for every 10 Fury you had when using it.

Go away.

Learn your mechanics and bring your brain on the forum.

Why does D4 players on this forum has 0 knowledges on mechanics or kindergarten maths?

Does that mean you can only play necro? Then why even care about the barb change?

Also the full sentence, at least you quoted all of it, is “they will either change it to what you want or you will need to adapt to what you get”.
If the change does not impact you, then it doesn’t really matter.

At no point do I care what class you play, I play all the classes, when it comes time for me to play Barb again, I will give feedback, or I will adapt to what is currently in the game.

1 Like

I care because it sets a bad precedent. What’s gonna stop them from doing the same thing to a different class, or worse yet, start doing this every time they don’t know how to fix something.

All I’m saying is there is a better way of nerfing an overperforming skill. Making it unusable is just not something I agree with, that goes for any skill in the game.

And I agreed there is many different ways to deal with this, and it was not my preferred approach either.

They have already done it to other classes. I gave you an explicit example above for Sorc.

are u for real? you complain against a nerf, while havent played it nor did u experience the nerfed version since no1 can.

I seriously need to ask, did u hurt ur brain in anyway?

1 Like

Sorry, I completely ignored it because I have no idea about sorcs (rogues and druids for that matter as well). I only played necros and barbs to 100. I don’t fully understand the example you’ve given. Not your fault obviously.

That being said, if they already did this in the past and people were not vocal about it then hey, it’s like exactly what I said above about setting a bad precedent. See how that works? This is why I’m all bent out of shape about this.

I don’t know why people didn’t make a bigger deal about it but now that decision affects everyone, just like I feared.

You know what, thank you. For some time now I was wondering if I’m stupid to come here and post but you helped me understand that yes, I am stupid for coming here.

I am not suited to deal with how people interact here.

2 Likes

so thats a yes then :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually dislike Red Ring Furor as you need to spin the WW to activate it and use shout to regenerate back the resources to max level. You also need to have a quickhand to use the buff in 5 seconds and make sure you don’t lose the 3 seconds Exploit vulnerability buff. A lot of buttons need to be pressed for the perfect one shoot HOTA execution.

It also save my time of the need to refarm Varshan 100 times every season.

1 Like

Seems like “Furious Hammer” is not a good combination with the “Ring of Red furor”.

If you push for HOTA with Ring of Red furor, then VIOLENT HAMMER is the way :o

You get used to it.

Dude, we all are! :laughing:

It’s weekend, always gets spicy at the weekends, just a heads up.

Barbs can wear Sorc’s Esu Heirloom come S4?

@Paladina, does that spiciness also get 35% buff with Mother’s Blessing?

It’s currently March 30, 2024.
I wasn’t aware you had early access to the PTR. Can you share screenshots of HOTA numbers you feel makes it “unplayable”?

3 Likes

Esu is Sorc-only, unless it’s been removed. I also don’t see how Esu yields automatic critical strike.

But for you unplayable doesn’t mean overperforming? Right.

This thing you said right here means outright that you are citing the inability to over perform as why it’s now unplayable.

But let’s be serious for a minute and not point fingers, HotA barbs were so grossly over performing that it’s kind of silly to be mad even if it’s nerfed into the ground. We’re talking months of absurd levels of dominance and before that was another barb build in first place. If barbs got nerfed as an entire class, we shouldn’t feel bad. They had their time in the sun, give other classes a shot.