[S4] Barb builds - HOTA

Will the Banished Talisman and Red Ring Furor still viable for HOTA builds?

• Knowing that there’s a change on Furious Hammer, chc instead of dmg increase.

• Two-Handed Mace Expertise got buffed

• Unbridaled rage nerfed

• Blood Rage Legendary Node nerfed

• Banished Talisman nerfed

• Marshal Glyph nerfed

• Crusher Glyph nerfed

• Dominate Glyph nerfed

Result: Probably balance since it won’t “OVERKILL” bosses. but not sure if this is a benefit for pushing dungeons.

I think i am going for double swing bleed.
since Rage of Harrogath got reworked.

a nerf will never be a benefit for the build that was nerfed.

but it will be a benefit for the overall balance though.
in a perfect world : every build-type (atleast as long as they are well thought) should be able to aim at the same height

2 Likes

HOTA is not playable anymore due to a single change, the Furious Hammer passive upgrade.

All other nerfs are sensible and will bring Barbs in line with other classes.

I honestly think that HOTA barb will still be powerful enough but ofc not for one shot kill everything. It was over performing in comparison with other builds and I guess they just made the others more viable by nerfing this one.
The double swing bleed or dust devils builds (WW viable also) are looking appealing though.

if for you “not playable” is simply “not one shotting everything” then we have a different vision of “not playable”.

That being said, PTR is there for it, if indeed it is underperforming it might change a bit.
on the other hand if it still overperforming it might get even more nerfed.

all of these are PTR patch note, not live patch note.

4 Likes

Why do people do this? I said what I said. There is a difference between a nerfed skill and an unplayable skill. HOTA as of right now is unplayable. Maybe people don’t understand what made HOTA strong. I don’t even like the HOTA gameplay, I rather WW. I admit I dislike double swing more than HOTA.

Anyway, please stop doing this, assuming what other people mean. You can ask for clarifications but I feel like my stance is reasonable and clear. HOTA was overperforming, nerf it but don’t make it unplayable. This change reminds me of the season 1 nerfs. Same dev team making same mistakes. It is what it is.

i did say a “IF” so it’s not assuming.

that being said once again as i said : you can’t say it’s over or undeperforming currently , PTR will be able to tell you that and if it’s either of these it’ll be fixed to be more balanced

1 Like

I will play a barb, because I play barbs, but it will not be the first class I play next season. So yeah, this nerf has affected my play.

People said similar things about ball lightning when it was fixed. And they were wrong. Why not wait to see how it plays now?

5 Likes

Because what made HOTA overperform by a mile is completely 100% gone. It is not a numerical nerf or change or whatever, the mechanic itself is gone. I don’t know how it’s hard to understand. The whole damage scaling system is gone. All of it.

Thus it is unplayable now. It’s not weaker, it’s not nerfed, it’s gone :slight_smile: bye laters aligators.

So, my issue is that they are doing this intentionally. They knew what they were doing with this change. Nerf HOTA by all means. They nerfed (please let me be clear, NERFED not eliminated) a lot of other Barb damage scaling. So why was this completely removed? Makes no sensible sense to me. Nerf HOTA numbers, nerf it’s scaling, nerf nerf nerf but don’t change the way the system worked.

I cannot wait to see all the wonderful threads in S4 about how everyone now enjoys playing their class and build now that HOTA doesn’t exist anymore.

1 Like

So that would be good no?
Why do we need skills to overperform?

Okay so, I am not against nerfing overperforming builds or skills since this is set in stone as something they want to do (I would much prefer skills to be just fun to play but that’s a different conversation). I am against removing a system in it’s entirety. It’s a caveman solution to a problem that can be solved in a different fashion.

It’s so strange to me how they do these numerical changes but then out of nowhere ooga booga a system into oblivion. Do you really not understand the difference between removing and nerfing? Really?

1 Like

I’m gonna go back with old shout hota build. All Shouts/Berserk/HOTA…with bold chieftan on the ring.

You keep saying hota is dead but you have explained why. You’ve int said changing that skill kills it but didn’t explain why. Please elaborate so everyone can understand

We agree this is the wrong fix…as I have said before the core issue is the # of multiplier slots in play. But this is the way they chose to address it. I do think this is messier and will break something else but their game and their decisions and all.

I love when people take a stance like this when crying about their broken op build. You mistake other people’s “lack of caring” for “not understanding”.

Sorc has had things removed before, that weren’t even OP, like Icefall?. But it was a CC based barrier completely removed for 15% frost damage to vuln or something. For a class that had limited applications of vuln at the time. For someone using a blizzard build that was a huge change(CC), I am sure someone cried about it, but it wasn’t me.

Feel free to overreact but the better approach would be to wait for PTR and give your feedback. Who knows maybe they will change it to what you want or you will have to adapt.

The Furious HOTA passive upgrade scaled HOTA’s damage with max fury. That system of damage scaling has been eliminated and is now something completely different.

I am a necromancer player. I don’t know what is there for me to adapt.

Obvious tying a huge multiplier to mechanic that is based on the amount of rage, is what made Hota so strong.

Problem was or is, its the game itself. If rage was a resource that would be hard to aquire such a mechanic makes sense, not in that super op way. But it would make sense if barbs resource gain would be tactical and not like its current iteration, where it is never a probelm to fill it.

Then a strong hitter like the current Hota would be cool cause it would have its drawbacks.

Is the nerf warranted? yes. Is it the correct way who knows, but to balance Hota with that rage mechanic stay the same, u would need to change barbs whole system of rage aquirement. So they did the easy way instead and removed that for now, until they find a better solution. Which is my guess happened here.

Its a numerical change, not mechanical.

Furious Hammer grants 1% dmg per fury multiplicatively. Decently (not PERFECT) geared barb average about 220 fury. it is 220% multi dmg or 3.2x dmg (since D3, you do 100% dmg, any % increase is x% +1 in presentation). Mechanical nerf would be HoTA now can not scale with beserking/OP or can not crit etc.

I havent done the exact maths, but some claims a 85% nerf which is 6.67x. If we use that and if you are doing 850 mil in s3, post nerf with CLASSIC gears, you d be doing 127 mil (850/6.67). Still face rolling NMD 100. Any damage over 100 mil is NOT entirely DEAD.

There are still room to grow in power from tempering/masterworking/greater affix as well as generic stat inflation/buff in 1.4.0 base patch. I did not do actual numbers of upheaval, will do to compare. Thing is alot of those nerfs aren’t HoTA exclusive, it nerfs other barb builds as well.

That explains a ton.

Furious Hammer of the Ancients

• Previous - Hammer of the Ancients deals 1% increased damage for each point of Fury you had when using it.
  • Now - Hammer of the Ancients gains 2%[+] increased Critical Strike Chance for every 10 Fury you had when using it.

Go away.

Learn your mechanics and bring your brain on the forum.

Why does D4 players on this forum has 0 knowledges on mechanics or kindergarten maths?