Rogue is weak and without identity

Rogue, I’ve been playing as a rogue since the beginning and I feel that of all the Diablo games, this rogue lacks many things to be truly considered an assassin or a ranger.

Its archer skills almost all require you to be very close to the targets and the arrows are very straight, making you need to align the mob and position yourself very well, a class that you have to put in a lot of effort but doesn’t reward you, the rogue is very weak considering this, I have some ideas that could give a sense to the class.

Starting with movement, Shadow Step should deal much more damage so you can reset it many times and play the role of an assassin with movement, instead, it’s a very random skill difficult to choose the target you use to get the Timbault buff.

The aspect of the dash that releases grenades is very imprecise, many times it passes through the monsters and the grenades don’t fall, there should be another way to reduce the cooldown.

Twisting Blades, the initial idea of the Twist Blade was to hit a monster and travel through the map dealing maximum AoE damage, and then it became a build of constantly spamming the button, this could easily be solved with recipes, Twisting Blades chance of additional blades, Twisting Blades sizes. They could also create a unique one that when impaling an enemy with Twisting Blades, when it returns, it has a chance to come with random imbues, another interesting idea is an aspect of Twisting Blades where the blades orbiting around you have a chance to be thrown in various directions impaling new enemies.

Flurry, is a very generic and uninteresting skill, which becomes spam, they could visually modify it to make it more visible by increasing the size of the skill a bit more.

Rapid Fire, the new unique of Rapid Fire is still quite ineffective, they could create a recipe where Rapid Fire shoots arrows in various directions instead of duplicating the arrows and increase the size of the arrows.

Barrage, could become more interesting with a larger size and bouncing off enemies that go back and forth to give a greater identity to the skill.

Penetrating Shot, is a very strong skill but very slow having to align mobs, they could create a unique one that Pen Shot shoots in 3 directions, or that every 3 shots the third one has a much larger size. I think it would make the build more dynamic and fun to use.

Concealment is a strong skill but with too high of a cooldown for a quick and stealthy gameplay of an assassin, it should reduce the cooldown.

Caltrops, Caltrops are very transparent and this backward jump is quite annoying to hit, instead of being a backward jump, it should be a forward jump launching caltrops forward and jumping forward, and change the color, it’s too transparent.

Smoke Grenade, it should be easier to aim with control and increase the color, it’s very difficult to identify where the grenades were thrown. It should have aspects where marksman skills randomly throw grenades, or one where the grenades explode in the area after hitting an enemy, it would be a much more interesting skill, grenades should also be imbuable increasing the area, Shadow Grenade explodes in a large area and leaves vulnerable, Poison Grenade explodes and leaves a poison trail on the ground giving a DOT, Ice Grenade, grenade explodes and slows enemies and has a chance to freeze.

Poison Trap, the setup time is very slow, having to wait 1.5 seconds for the monster to step on it should be 0.25 seconds for a fast rogue gameplay would make much more sense.

Shadow Infusion should have additional explosion aspects, and aspect of creating shadow clones when killing enemies. Poison Infusion is already quite strong but still buggy, I think I have no ideas for it. Ice Infusion could have an aspect that when killing enemies with them creates ice spikes on the ground dealing damage and exploding, it would be quite fun and would be an alternative option to Shadow Infusion.

Shadow Clones, they have to inherit the attributes not all but at least 50%, they could create a unique item to have more builds around this skill, shadow clones now move and follow you for x seconds imitating your abilities, and recipes for shadow clone skills sizes, additional shadow shadow clone +1.

Death Trap, it’s a strong skill, I think it needs few changes, except for its useless unique that nobody uses.

Rain of Arrows, it should have an increase in size and be more precise where you aim, a recipe to increase size I think would solve the problems of this skill.

Rogues

3 Likes

It will always be this way as long as the developers would rather listen to “community feedback” aka Wudijo and his 10 page google doc. They took his Natalya changes in D3 word for word and implemented it. Look at the creators for other classes, Rob, NorthWar, they always use the strongest/broken builds, the most exploitive and efficient ways to play. He’s created a stigma where a rogue can never be strong. He refused to cover poison TB the entire time it was popular until it got nerfed. Rogue will never be fun or OP while they’re listening to him.

3 Likes

I agree. In season 4 rapid fire will cause explosions. I always tough Rogues are too single target and when you solo Duriel for example its a complete failure. Rogues needs the same rework Blizzard did to Barbarian for season 2.

Per Concealment, Aspect of Synergy is a decent enough compliment to reduce the cooldown somewhat, but heavy point investment and cdr is very much needed to keep it up reliably. On the other hand, if you are intending to zoom through content quickly, Resistant Assailant is definitely the move to just ignore trash packs.

Apart from that, Rogue needs to have its damage, buffs, and utility decoupled from Core Skills to make the class feel worthwhile. The Trapper playstyle feels shoehorned into using a Core Skill at all times for maximum potency, particularly Flurry with the Grenade synergies. Rogue definitely feels and looks the most behind (I made a post about Cheat’s Aspect being bad and the defensive Aspects are fairly lacking for Rogues).

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Am surprised by how much the Devs listen to HIS feedback and assume that every rogue player feels the same way. Every time some players comment that Rogues are weak - he’ll always make a comeback - look how strong Rogue is. But just look at the data. At least from the gauntlet - that’s an objective view of the current state of Rogues. Just hoping they’d be objective and not listen and cater to one player’s feedback. (He has singlehandedly destroyed Hardcore by advocating the removal of the death pot), and it might be the same for the entire rogue class. )

All of the streamers who are tied to this game are shills who have deep affiliations with Blizzard. It’s an indirect way for Blizzard to gaslight players, either because they don’t have time to improve Rogue right now, or they just don’t care.

Demon Hunter was my favorite class in D3 and I was hoping Rogue would be in D4. I have played every class to 100 and I feel I can compare them all now, and I can easily say Rogue is my least favorite. I play it the least, and have the least amount of fun with it.

Not sure what the class needs, maybe a simpler way to be effective? Right now, you really have to time your defensive and offensive skills perfectly, move perfectly, and gear perfectly in order to complete the highest content. And then you can still get one-shotted. I won’t even try rogue in HC any longer.

Maybe some people want that challenge though? I don’t know.

1 Like