Remove Lvl scaling for goodness' sake

Yes. It’s not my build.

I don’t think anyone needs help on how to spec, I think what OP is trying to say is that the power you get from levels usually doesn’t counteract the scaling of the world. Just because you’re able to clear it with a solid spec doesn’t make that statement on the scaling each level untrue.

I was clearing WT3 much easier at 55 than I am now at 63. That’s strange for an ARPG.

6 Likes

The biggest problem with scaling is the hold back of power, if you aren’t regularly upgrading your gear, then you things automatically start to get really difficult as the mobs outscale your current gear.

D4’s scaling is much worst than any other scaling I’ve ever seen in a video game before because the numbers on your gear are an outright lie. The weapon DPS listed on your items is not what you’ll be hitting for, your attack power is not what you’ll be hitting for. This is because the enemies all have pretty severe damage reduction potentials that are really only negated on Crit damage (at least that’s how it seems).

The result is that the player can’t really make accurate judgements on what’s gear improvement and what’s not because the raw numbers displayed on your character sheet are basically meaningless garbage. When the player can’t tell where they’re going wrong, or where they’re falling behind, that’s when your fundamental mechanics are failing.

When the loot is lying to the player, in a game about loot, you know you’re in trouble.

9 Likes

Zero issue with the scaling, I’ve been getting stronger and stronger. I’m 15 levels lower than the mobs in WT4 and I 1 shot a ton of them and 2/3 shot elites easily.

I think this comes down to learning the mechanics and itemization

2 Likes

This is further compounded because even if you have all your legendary aspects on your gear to make your build solid, you regularly still need your core items upgraded and those legendary traits moved over as much as possible in order to stay on the same level.

The biggest failing is that we aren’t hunting gear to get powerful, we are hunting to simply break even. And for a power-fantasy game, most people will absolutely hate that.

7 Likes

No one’s saying they can’t clear it. Just that when you level you shouldn’t feel weaker vs mobs as opposed to feeling stronger in the world.

4 Likes

Ok now let’s analyze this statement for accuracy please…

Start listening to what WE want? Or what YOU want? Because I am totally fine with level scaling and love that I have to think before every fight knowing that I could get overwhelmed if I just mindlessly try to steamroll everything.

1 Like

The paragon board is helping to keep you competitive as well, you should not be getting weaker. I’m pretty convinced people aren’t’ taking time to upgrade their equipment and equip aspects.

I’ve also seen so much misinformation about how hard it is or impossible it is to afford respecing, these forums have so many issues with people making baseless assumptions. You can literally farm 500k+ in 1 dungeon run. That’s the cost of respeccing a whole build at around level 60+.

Not to mention you can remove individual nodes instead for like 2-3k a point.

The paragon board did combat that pretty well until they nerfed most aspects of it by like 33-66% the other day lol. I’m going to say it again since you apparently can’t read: no one is saying they’re having a hard time clearing the content. Just that the scaling is very odd for an ARPG.

OP post says specifically it’s not fun since you can’t steam roll mobs like D2 or other ARPG, and I’m telling you I literally steamroll them. Even the dungeon ones, the open world mobs are a joke.

2 Likes

Ahhh…another one. I love how you assume most people LOL.

I want the challenge and love how they set this up, and personally I hated how D3 became so easy and you had to fight just to find a difficulty that could keep up with us.

1 Like

Clubbing baby seals is so 1990’s!

you do understand the D2 challenged you ALL the way through to Hell Baal right?.. if you want to steamroll everything with no challenge go to D3 and don’t influence D4

2 Likes

Pretty sure there is a balance between struggling and being a God.

Challenge the player with complex attack patterns and mob strategy. Not by making the numbers pointless.

This is a gear grinding game, challenge is fine for a while, but eventually I want to feel powerful while I’m grinding keys and grisly totems and helltide whatevers.

When the whole game feels the same, it ruins the motivation to grind. It’s cool you like a challenge, but when nothing changes for 100’s of hours while you level and gear hunt, that’s not really a good loop in the end.

1 Like

I’ll use this as an example, at 55 I was 1 shotting elite packs. I’m currently 63 with 2 glyphs and even better gear (full pulv druid, every legendary and unique with ideal stats) and now it takes 2-3 shots for elite packs. Still steamrolling but the fact that I’ve increased my power yet I feel weaker compared to 8 levels ago is what I’m trying to point out. Not saying it’s too challenging or that it’s difficult, just that it’s very weird to increase your power and feel slightly weaker at the same time.

1 Like

And you haven’t told us if you moved to WT4 or are doing nightmare sigils at higher tiers, like this is literally not helpful.

Are you joking? I wouldn’t be using a comparison of WT3 vs WT4 its the exact same mobs from dungeons / open world I’m using this example for, just difference in level. Use common sense.

The reward is not matching the effort. Even finding legos isn’t exciting anymore cause they usually have crap affixes or something my build doesn’t even use. And by the time I do find a good item I have already gained a level or two so it really just makes me break even.

I bet it is. But then what do I know. Only easily leveled 2 classes through WT2 and currently working on my 3rd not hitting this my character not feeling like it’s getting stronger.

I know this is a thing, but I’ve seen plenty of ARPG vets here and elsewhere complain about builds and struggling, while clearly making build and gear mistakes.

I’m following some of the best builds. I’m not doing my own on the fly. It’s not the build. It’s how things scale.

This is not this sort of case.