Reflect damage deaths?

Posted in HC, but got no responses so posting here. Is there some kind of reflect damage I’m not aware of in D4 season 2. This is my second death this season (and my only two deaths period) where I’ve apparently killed myself. It was very reminiscent of PoE reflect deaths. I had full health, fully fortified, and then no health, INSTANTLY. Was also using the vampiric power that gives %DR for %health lost.

One death was on a cursed chest where everything was piled up on the chest and I was just blowing everything up as it spawned and the second death was in one of those connecting chambers in dungeons where a bunch of elites spawn and you have to kill them before you can proceed along the dungeon. There would seem to be a need to at least have an indicator that something is reflecting damage, but that wouldn’t have helped on the cursed chest as it was just a mass of mobs, no way you would be able to pick that out. I was playing a DB/upheaval build if that makes any difference.

I did 100 in season 1 with a similar build, nothing like that ever happened. So just need to know what the heck is going on this season.

Thanks in advance for any info.

No there is no reflect effect in the game.

you may have got someone with a big damage without noticing.
from memory i can see 1 that could kill you fast if you didn’t notice them:
those little exploding demons.

skelly balistas also have a big damage, piled with other monsters could kill you fast too.

edit: spiders too. if you have a big amount of spiders exploding with poison, that could down you fast, but i think that with spiders you would have noticed.

The kill feed said Shark was slain by Shark. My barb was extremely tanky. I can take multiple on death explosions and still walk away alive. I’ve been taking a softcore character around and dying to on death explosions to see what the kill feed would say and so far the ones tested give the mob type in the kill feed (ie Shark was slain by corpse feeder or whatever) I was not standing in any on death explosions anyway. I casted upheaval and then died instantly. That sure seems like reflect to me. Maybe there is a bug or some weird interaction that’s happening, I don’t know. To be clear, I’m not complaining about dying just want to know why I’m dying.

I have had a few really wacky things happen in NM dungeons where a mob would essentially one shot me and then I would spawn and go back to the same mob and instantly delete them. Just missing parity in the behavior of a mob from one encounter to the next. Seemed glitchy. You would have to be a masochist to play this game in hardcore.

Thats when you die to things the game doesnt make sense. Typically environment deaths. i.e. barrels or Lightning Storm affix.

1 Like

I died to myself today. No idea how, because there is the mindblowingly terrible decision to not have an event log. Just said ‘Charname died by Charname’ out of no where.

Pretty sure (but not 100%) that when the goat shaman puts that lightning buff on another goat man, and you hit the goat man with the buff it reflects the damage back at you. When this happens you have to kill the shaman and avoid hitting the one with the buff. Every time I’ve killed myself (X killed by X in my log) that shaman is doing some bull$#!%.

1 Like

I could see the game giving that type of kill feed when you are killed by environment or something other than mobs. The NMD had suppressor and attack speed or something along those lines, nothing that would be fatal or exploding. There were no barrels near me, nothing was falling from the sky, it was just me, a cursed chest, and mobs spawning from it. Someone said something about the shaman and the lighting buff, but I was deleting the mobs so fast I’m not sure I could tell you what they were.

I’ve run into so many bugs playing this game including flopping over to stuff that shouldn’t be able to kill me one hit. They are either backend trolling like losers or they somehow are worse than small groups of indie developers when it comes to gameplay mechanics.