RAM - 32gb or 64gb?

That’s because i wasn’t in them.

1 Like

How in the world do you need 32gb of ram for this game?

FWIW I had no issue running both free beta’s on:

Intel Core i7, 16 core
16 gig ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12gig ram

No one is claiming that we need 32GB of memory.

I however maintain that at a minimum, you should have 16GB. That said, it certainly won’t hurt to have 24GB or 32GB to have some head room, especially if you are the type of person that runs 10 other things in the background while playing.

Anything above that, meets the needed for X reasons due to how you use it, or because you have money to burn for no reason other than to have more GBs.

My only stance here and for me personally, is that I have maintained all my last few systems at 32GB. Even laptops. Before that I ran 16GB. I did this because I run a large variety of apps, and some can consume RAM.

My latest system the i9, would be the first one I have owned that will eventually move to having 64GB, and that’s a choice I’m making for me, not just for playing games. It actually has nothing to do with Diablo IV specifically.

This has been said about previous memory limits. Nothing is absolute. As noted with your next statement:

So… Not sure why so many are against having more flex in their system? Is it because they themselves can’t upgrade and feel jealous? What is it?

If the cost is reasonable, and within the buyer’s budget for their build, why not have more memory? Its not going to ruin anything for them.

Another thing that we tend to overlook when talking about memory:

Make sure your system is running the right amount of memory sticks. For example, Intel based systems enjoy having memory in pairs, so they operate in dual channel mode. That means each pair of memory sticks should be ideally the same brand, speed, voltage, etc. And if your system only has 2 slots, then both should be populated. If your system has 4 slots, then either 2 or 4 slots should be populated.

8GB is minimum required for Diablo IV. 16GB is recommended, 32GB would be optional/future proofing. Anything above that would be excessive. Why not leave it at that?

Game on.

had 32gb, system used 28gb on first beta, sickened me went out and upgraded to 64 gb and then gg.

They system I replaced had 32GB so this one I went with 4x16GB DDR5 for 64GB of ram
[CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB (4x16GB) DDR5 5200 (PC5-41600) C40 1.25V - Black]

And there is nothing wrong with that. If you have the option, its certainly not going to hurt the system.

However, what other’s seem to be trying to drive home, is that most of us don’t need or even use that amount of memory.

Take me right now as I’m typing this. I’m using 21% of 32GB right now. I have the bnet launcher running, and Firefox. A few other background apps, but that’s it.

So by that logic do I need 32GB? No.

But there are times that I run software or do work that does eat up a lot of memory.

I have 64 on my new pc ,but 32 is enough for D4

32GB of good quality high speed ram > 64GB of something inferior.

I found the jump from 16GB → 32GB to improve performance but didn’t see anything tangible going from 32GB → 64GB.

My advice get better RAM before forking out for more RAM to bump up to 64GB for Diablo 4.

But seriously in slam I caught mine using over 32GB of ram for D4

Better RAM is vague. Do you mean better speed, better quality?

Here’s a tip though for those wondering:

When you are shopping for memory, try to find the best price on memory and compare the memory speeds. If you can get a faster speed for the same price or only slightly higher, go for it. You do not need top tier speed memory. Also note the memory base speed vs its XMP profile speed. Usually memory is listed by its base designed speed. But it can sometimes go faster or be listed by its faster XMP speed.

Better quality memory often come with heatsinks attached. LEDs on the memory are for eye candy, not performance, so keep that in mind. Not to say some good memory can’t have lights, but if you are shopping and how it lights up is one of your concerns, you might be worried about the wrong aspects.

In slam I think my total system usage at the time never exceeded 19GB.

Tonight I just swapped over to the 3060 12GB that I have had, was running an older used 2070 8GB. Did a performance test. And it went as I expected. About 120 points faster with the 3060 over the 2070:

Asus RTX 2070 8GB:

https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=181813022920

MSI RTX 3060 12GB:

https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=182879147989

In other words, it didn’t make much difference. lol

Its vague because its generic advice and situation dependent. Provided someone is buying a mainstream brand then it comes down to speed generally.

The point was quite simple, don’t double down on old slow RAM just to get to 64GB…when a higher quality/faster 32GB set would produce a great performance boost in Diablo 4 (64GB is overkill).

Unless people post specification details its not possible to provide specific advice…

Not sure if you are aware of this or not, but 99.9% of people aren’t going to see that much difference in the computer’s performance based purely on speed change alone. And a huge speed change may mean they need to upgrade the motherboard as well.

So while I agree its a change better, its not a “great performance boost”.

You will see more performance going from single to dual channel and from less memory to more memory than you will simply changing speed. But the higher amount of memory you have to start with, the less impact the change in the amount will have on it.

Keep in mind, most computers are only going to run a select amount of speed on memory anyway. And lesser computers are more restricted, can’t even be tweaked to go faster. You might have an XMP option, and that’s it. But its not going to be enough for most to notice directly.

Its not like you can go from say 4000mhz memory to 8000mhz memory. That big of a change will require a high quality motherboard and a CPU that will run with it.

You take an average i3 or i5, they might have a difference span of 300-900mhz across different memory speeds they can support, which is further limited by the CPU model.

Which means, barely noticeable change.

Pointless debate until someone (OP) posts some specs for use to dig into…the post was specifically about RAM so that is where I left it.

I agree, there are probably better areas of a system to upgrade - but we don’t have that information so who would know.

Aye!

Legion 5 Pro laptop

Ryzen 7 6800H
3070 ti 150w
32 gb DDR5 4800mhz for now
NVMe SSD

Planning on 1440p, shopping for monitors.

I would like to potentially get into Cyberpunk, and that takes a lot of mods these days –

RAM looks fine, wouldn’t be spending money there personally.

Your best investment might actually be a decent cooling pad for your laptop. Laptops can run pretty hot and keeping the thing cool will likely yield the best performance boost in the short-term. You should be fine to run Diablo 4 on 1440p and I wouldn’t upgrade anything this close to the games launch. As to what FPS you get on max settings, you only have to wait a few days to find out but you may need to make a few in game tweaks to get it running smooth.

The issue with getting a true number for System Memory (DRAM) you need is hard to give a specific number. Here are some reasons why.

• Windows 10 = 4GB DDR4/DDR5 memory | Windows 11 = 6GB DDR4/DDR5 memory
  • Diablo 4 = 8GB DDR4/DDR5 memory (An extra 4GB might help a little if you go for 4K resolution at highest settings but VRAM is hit harder when it goes above 1080p)
  • Browser = 2GB DDR4/DDR5 memory
  • Other background applications and services = Variable

For Diablo 4 and a browser open on Windows you need 14-20GB memory. After this you need to factor in other background tasks and services. I would say 16GB is good for those at 1080p/low to mid settings 1440p. 32GB would be good for those that play on higher settings and stream.

There are too many variables to consider when saying how much system memory someone needs. I doubt the Diablo 4 will actually need more than 8GB itself but put an extra 4GB as an insurance policy for those with higher resolutions even though VRAM is the main target of this resource hit. Streaming and recording also play a role in how much system memory one needs.

I have 24mg RAM memory chips…feel like I should be OK unless it drops with the parallel vertices darkened shader too deep into the ambient settings. I mean, I feel like I could make it work but do I really want to if my performance is taunted and can’t strike back.? Whats fair is fair.

I’m hoping you meant 24GB. lol

Is using a steam deck for Diablo IV TOS breaking for Blizzard? I really want to be able to play when I’m traveling and I want to make sure before I buy one