PS5 Latency Issues

Background:
I’ve played Diablo I, II, III since beta for each. I played WoW in beta when we had the loot lag extravaganza. Heh. I played beta for Ultima Online and many other games throughout the years.

Here is what we saw on our PS5:

1. Rubberbanding - move the character across a field; pause; character slides/pops back to their original spot
  2. Delays on loot - I would break something and sometimes it appeared right away; many times it would appear 2ish seconds later
  3. Pauses on massive monster loading - we knew we were about to get swarmed because we would pause and then a swarm of monsters would spawn; much of that fight we would click buttons and hope with 2-3 second pauses spread throughout
  4. Couch Coop amplified these issues quite a bit, but they occurred during solo play as well on our PS5

Details:

1. We have a PS5 on a 5 GHZ network
  2. On our tests of our internet we get 500 MBPS down
  3. PlayStation test showed about 260 for that same thing
  4. My wife still plays WoW and is seeing no issue (she didn’t play it while were in D4 to get the best outcome for us.
  5. I tried to turn off any visual settings that might cause massive load (something about flashes and screen shake)
  6. It would work okay for a while and then become unplayable for stretches of time. The time of day had some impact, but not a lot.
  7. Tried 3 different user accounts, multiple couch coop combos, multiple times of day.

Initial feel:

1. Graphics are having some issues on the PS5 (possibly video memory/drawing issues) like back in the early days of WoW, relic raids in Dark Age of Camelot, dungeon loading in UO, and Elder Scrolls Online PvP in the beginning where it is fine if you are alone and then a nightmare when the system has to account for more than a handful of location inputs at once and then draw them properly.
  2. Loot lag - it seems that when objects appear in the world, the problems got worse.

To confirm these weren’t just rough network stuff, I would log out, shut down Diablo 4, and then log back in when the lag got bad. It would then be okay for a few minutes before ramping back up again. If it was purely network, this should not really help it seems.

When it was fairly low lag, the game was fun. Unfortunately, my boy gave up and I couldn’t really blame him. Thanks for looking into this and hopefully getting it sorted out so the family can nerd out together.

3 Likes

I had same issues dog. Glad not the only one

I was also getting a lot of Rubber banding and pausing (or lag) when monsters would spawn on PS5.

Thank you for making this post and having it well organized!

It’s just a stressed server issue.

Your down or up speed doesn’t affect such things, only your latency to the server (as you indicate with the post title).

1 Like

hmm on ps5 and had zero issue. I do have a 1gig service. I did notice you said your on 5ghz network. Have you tried to connect via wired connection?

I played yesterday with a friend and he had real bad issues. I was on xbox and he was on ps5. Every 5 to 10 minutes he would get kicked from the clan chat or party chat. Also every 10 to 15 minutes or so things were not loading on his screen so he would just stand there for another 5 to 10 minutes waiting for it to load. If he moved i could see him moving on my screen but his was unresponsive

can anyone confirm if turning off all crossplay stuff effects anything. I turned all mine off at the beginning.

I play from germany and right from the start I had massive ruberbanding. Sometimes I couldn’t even move forward. Restarted my ps5, but that didn’t help either. I then try to cross play with a friend on his pc version. He had no issues. At least getting a clan and party going worked. But fighting with him was nearly impossible. I quit after the lilith cutscene in the church.

The name of the event is literally “Sever Slam” these kinds of reports are exactly what blizzard needs to hear.
Id wager they are trying to tune pop limits on each node, I’m sure this will all get ironed out as they find and stay within those limits.

Im having the same problems with latency…i will never pre order blizzard online games :frowning:

Lag lag lag here we go :relaxed:

1 Like

Original Post date : March 20th

Today: June 8th

Problem persists if not worse.

same, been constant, not one minute without runberbanding - reiterating once again, only game i’ve played in a decade that does this

1 Like