PS4 to PS5 Digital Cross-Gen Upgrade

Hi, can you please clarify the following. I have seen it mentioned on 3rd party websites, but have not been able to find an Official Announcement.

I currently have a PS4, down the road I will be upgrading to a PS5.

If I purchase Diablo 4 Digital from the Playstation Store today does this entitle me to an included upgrade from the PS4 Digital version to a full unadulterated, not some upscale Frankenstein edition, all feature 4K PS5 Digital version of Diablo 4 when I upgrade consoles.

I have seen the PS4 Cross-Gen Bundle advertised on the retail physical copy. However this is not advertised in the same manner on the Digital copies. It just says:

Diablo® IV for PS4™/PS5™

This is not clear enough for me. It does not say “and”, or “both” to me a “/” implies “either or”. I do not want to purchase a PS4 version of this game and have to purchase a PS5 version down the road. Especially due to some marketing mumble jumble about the Digital PS4 Upgrade version is different then a full Digital PS5 version. Already had to do that with Diablo 3, not doing that again…

If you are a non-Blizzard employee replying please provide a link to an Official Blizzard Announcement that sources and supports your reply in relation to Digital Upgrade Right Entitlements for Digital PS4 Purchase Upgrades to Digital PS5 rights. No MLA/APA required. :slight_smile:

Thank you in advance.

Lol. U still have a ps4 :joy:

This comment was unnecessary lol…

The game links to your PSN account so you should use it for PS4 and PS5.

3 Likes

Lul you spam clan recruitment messages in the forum because no one can tolerate you enough to play with you lul

3 Likes

So I looked at my PS5 pre-order and I can choose the PS4 edition and download it on my PS5. So you get both versions with one buy. Like in D2R.

But: PSN achievements for D2R are separate for PS4 and PS5.

Not sure könnt works for D4, as your character is bound to your BNet account. But I doubt your PSN achievements will be.

Cry me a river lol……

I don’t believe any ps4 game get free update to ps5 version. You simply can play the ps4 version on your ps5 no problem. And imo often the only difference with ps5 version is that ps5 has the dual sense controller stuff but graphics are identical.

Actually, a lot of games got free upgrades:
https://www.psu.com/news/all-ps4-games-that-have-ps5-upgrades-guide/

In the item description for Diablo 4 on the Playstation game store it say purchasing the game includes PS4 and PS5 versions of the game.

Imagine still having a ps4 in 2023 couldn’t be me

Hi, Wix, thank you. Ok but what does the Digital PSN purchase get you? All it says is:

Diablo® IV for PS4™/PS5™

This is not clear enough for me. It does not say “and”, or “both” to me a “/” implies “either or”.

I believe, in this case and like other games I have purchased on PSN, its usage is to imply separate alternatives. Which means it can be installed on both the PS4 and PS5. Edit: To clarify, it has to be the same PSN account.

Most, if not all, of the ps4 games with ps5 counterparts come with a free update. Only thing people need to be aware of is the save doesn’t always carry over. I had to restart fresh in Hades and Elden Ring.

D4 might be different, since you can log in with a Blizzard account. And as Wix pointed out, to get the upgrades you just keep the same PSN account you had on the PS4. Anything purchased through the store, including movies, can be used on the PS5.

I still have a ps4, an Xbox one, a Nintendo 3ds, as well as a series X and switch :man_shrugging:t2:

It means you can play on both

Im also upgrading to PS5 from PS4 next week. The way i understand it is even if we purchased on PS4, it doesnt matter as long as we transfer our PSN account to PS5.

Wellllp, Those of us on PS4 are able to play and progress our characters without the login issues you guys are having. Hmm, Imagine that?

My PS5 may be on its way but hey, if its still unplayable by then, i still got the trusty old platform to keep going.

1 Like

imagine being a complete D, to a random because they did not get a PS5 yet.

1 Like