[POTENTIAL WORKAROUND] Random crashes after 1.0.3 Build #42677 update

EDIT 2: 4 -hour game session last night without crashing. Crashed a few minutes after switching to Chrome. I played about an 1.5h earlier today and crashed shortly after switching to and back from Chrome. I’ll have to try and see how long I can play without it crashing and avoid alt-tabbing out of the game. At least it’s a better change than instant crashing.

EDIT: I uninstalled the game, deleted the DX Shader Cache, and reinstalled it without the high-res textures. The game’s been stable after two Nightmare dungeon runs. Worth a try if you are still having this issue. Seems to be okay for me for now. I’ll update the thread if things change.

There doesn’t seem to be a common factor. I would be selling items at the vendor and the application would crash. Or it would crash right after teleporting to a Nightmare dungeon. Just now it crashed while I was in a Nightmare dungeon in a middle of a fight with a mob.

Here’s the Report ID for the recent crash: 9955D036-05C0-49A8-994A-C30118388473

Below is my DxDiag in case it’s needed:

I’ve also used Battlenet to scan and fix errors with the game, uninstalled, deleted preference files, and reinstalled the game and the random crashes still occur.

Adding on with more information I was able to gather via Windows’ Event Viewer from the latest crash:

Faulting application name: Diablo IV.exe, version: 1.0.3.42677, time stamp: 0x6493703b
Faulting module name: Diablo IV.exe, version: 1.0.3.42677, time stamp: 0x6493703b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000006fcf6d
Faulting process id: 0xcec
Faulting application start time: 0x01d9a9900fe185f0
Faulting application path: D:\Games\Blizzard\Diablo IV\Diablo IV.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Games\Blizzard\Diablo IV\Diablo IV.exe
Report Id: dcb4b168-f874-4b9b-be3e-067a40932eca
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Since you haven’t updated this thread yet I assume it’s still working for you?

I crash every 40 secondes - 2 minutes, with a 6K PC haha

It’s been a lot better for me. Crashes still happen but 1h+ into gameplay. So far the crashes coincide with alt-tabbing. It’s kind of hard to play without having to alt-tab sometimes so I haven’t been able to play a long session without. But I’ve also posted on Reddit and another person is reporting something similar. At least for me going from a crash a few minutes after launching the game to 1h+ is an improvement.

1 Like