Potential issues with RTX 4090 GPU?

I haven’t played D4 so far and I want to partake in tomorrow’s server slam weekend event. The only thing that’s bothering me is the issues I read online about fryed Nvidia GPUs. Is there any update regarding potential fatal issues with 4090 GPUs, particularly the MSI 4090 Suprim X? Was it a problem linked to specific CPU/GPU combinations? I also use an AMD 5950x as my CPU, so if any of you guys have that particular, I’d be glad to hear your opinions.

There is a “mega” thread about that, let me see if I can find it.

Was mostly 3080’s I guess, I haven’t read all the thread but can’t recall 40xx cards getting bricked.

1 Like

As far as I’m aware it was only 3080 Tis that were affected, and even then only a small subset from specific manufacturers.

msi has a couple 3080/tis with subpar (locked too low) power delivery and recently leaked their driver signing keys… other than that they look fine

think the problematic melting cards were gygabytes’

the driver signing thing shouldnt really be an issue as long as you grab your stuff from official msi website

The game exposed manufacturing defects in certain 3080 ti’s (mainly Gigabyte) where under heavy load they failed. Any game could have done if it put the card under heavy load.

This is completely insane. Glad I upheld my brand standards and avoided MSI and Gigabyte parts over these decades. Unbelievable!

1 Like

add asus to the list they like to fry cpus with mobos that deliver too much juice recently :wink:
and their solution is an unofficial beta bios update that voids warranty if applied ! crazy

all brands suck. humans suck :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not as familiar with Gigabyte but MSI still has some high quality parts. The problem is playing the lottery and hoping you get the good parts.

Their GPUs are both among the highest and lowest scoring on benchmarks

1 Like

Hi. Nvidia has released a driver to avoid this issue. Just update your drivers.
But, If you want to guarantee that nothing happens to your card, please set FPS limit in game settings. I would make this if I were you.

1 Like

It was specifically Gigabyte 4090s, not all 4090s.

1 Like

Curious is that a result of the user error though? Like trying to overclock the cpu by playing with voltage settings which Asus should or shouldn’t allow? Like guns don’t kill people, people kill people etc…

maybe but it looks deeper than that. all the tech youtubas are furious at asus since ~2 days

my youtube feed is poluted by all of it heh

*was mainly about some amd cpu that has (3d) in the name iirc

It was 3080Ti’s (mostly Gigabyte), not 4090’s :beers:

1 Like

Yes I was thinking about GeForce drivers which is the base commonality for all their cards and how it shouldn’t expose a certain model/brand to certain risks (guessing excessive heating problems). Good to hear it’s not hardware /design related and has been addressed.

1 Like

This is relevant to manufacturers and not any particular game. I’d check with the manufacturer’s forums, but this game didn’t have issues with poorly built 4090s.

No issues here but I’m using the Founder’s Edition. I do cap FG/BG to my monitor’s refresh rate but I’m also not even able to hit above 200 FPS with the 4090 on max settings so it really wouldn’t matter. I don’t think I’ve seen my card go above 50° either ¯_(ツ)_/¯

It’s nice to have my MSI RTX 4080, it purred like a kitten during the Beta last time.

ASUS error. Scumbag ASUS: Overvolting CPUs & Screwing the Customer - YouTube

It was 3080tis.

Any card that dies while playing d4, or any game, has some defect, or was on its way out the door anyway. A game CANNOT fry your card. The manufacturer using shoddy parts, and the card failing to do what its supposed to CAN AND WILL.

All those cards were going to burn up under any heavy load at some point anyway.

You should be fine.

The “this game kills this card” stuff is overblown and spread by fearmongers like Jayztwocents, who’s spread misinformation multiple times before. Cards die all the time playing games. Small percentages of hardware fail. It’s just how it is.

Millions (tens of millions?) of people played the beta. If 100 cards died that’s still like 0.001% of the users who played the game.

But to better answer your question, I have the Suprim X 4090 and played both betas, with everything maxed out, using RTSS to cap fps at 140 (g-sync), like I do in every game, and both betas ran smooth as butter.

Jay knows what he’s doing… a lot more than most people in the world. The video is clickbait and he explained the issue at hand perfectly actually

Probably should watch the video and know what you’re talking about before calling people out like that, especially people who do a lot of good for the PC community

Don’t you know how YouTube video titles work by now?

1 Like