Overwolf overlay for Diablo 4 BAN?

This whole “bluzz can’t detect it!!!” Line is ancient.

Ancient.

Do you read the tos/eula?

Do you have any idea the rights you gave away? Do you play call of duty?

The Blizzard one is less egregious than the call fo duty one, but blizzard absolutely monitors your windows, all of them, your processes, and the game.

Call of duty you have to agree to give them access to your entire browser search history, allow them to search your entire computer whenever they want, AND they have the right to copy your browser data from any digital device you sign into any Activision account with.

People need to read what they agree to and stop thinking that “the law” is going to protect them after they give away all their rights.

That said, if blizzard bans me for looking at a map on a second monitor they can have their game lol.

1 Like

I am using the one from mobalytics for helltide/WB timers and it has been okay

1 Like

I doubt you’ll get banned for Overwolf.

The 3rd party Overlays that will get you banned are the ones that read D4 game files, as well as dynamically change the overlays based on that information.

If they were just banning people purely for using overlays, Discord users would be banned.

2 Likes

Blizzard will never tell you flat out that you can use 3rd party software.

If you get any response it will most likely be a standard ToS quote.

Use at your own risk.

1 Like

You won’t get banned. They can’t afford to lose any players.

Good morning Sebix. Blizzard does not allow any third party software use that touches their games, in any way. Esp if it gives information or advantage beyond what the base game provides. WoW addons are made within a Blizzard provided LUA sandbox and only modify the display in ways Blizzard allows.

D4 does not have that. If Overwolf touches or pulls any real time game info or game files then you don’t want to use it. Blizzard put out a statement on it not so long ago and it is pinned at the top of this forum.

1 Like

Not going to happen :slight_smile:

You are free to bring up a website on your second monitor or another device. That does not interact with the game files, communications, or anything else game related. It is stand alone. It is the things that touch real time game info as you play that they have issues with. I keep a map up on a second monitor too. Quite helpful seeing as we don’t have an official overlay map yet. I hope they do add that eventually.

3 Likes

what about the official in-game Steam overlay?

Is blizz gonna hand out bans to people who use a feature of a platform that they willingly decided to release the game on?

because that works EXACTLY how overwolf works. it does not read or alter game files.

I know nothing about Steam besides the few games I play on it. If you bought D4 on Steam and are using things Steam officially released to go with it, I assume that is fine. I am just another player though, not Blizzard.

That said, keep in mind that unless BLIZZARD approved something, it is all at your own risk.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

i dont use overlays, im not that lazy and I dont cheat ( lets be real, thats all it boils down to, anybody who says otherwise is delusional ). But the overwolf overlay works exactly the same way as the steam in-game overlay does. Yet one is not allowed, and one presumably IS allowed.

Blizzard NEEDS to give a definitive answer to the steam overlay. No beating around the bush about it since that is an official platform feature. They need to stop pussyfooting around this one specifically and give a concrete reply to it.

1 Like

ok buddy we get it you the real deal

found the overlay user.

Going to chalk it up to their stance with Overwatch. Which was also released on Steam. They were probably given access to how exactly the Steam Overlay works and we’re able to incorporate it into their code so it wouldn’t send through a false positive and ban people.

This is just an educated guess though. Like @MissCheetah said as well as the devs in their own sticky post, as long as it isn’t messing with the files in some way, or altering the code to an extent you more then likely won’t have any issues. I’m personally not willing to take that risk for a little extra doodads on the screen, but to each their own.

It’s very clear what Blizzards stance is on outside programs used to alter information in anyway on most of their games. Even WoW has some restrictions though they are far more lax in comparison.

Anecdotal, but using ReShade to fix the HDR hasn’t resulted in any bans for me. I don’t have any experience with Overwolf but ReShade is safe.

Steam’s overlay uses Steam’s own API so it shouldn’t trigger Warden. That was one of the things that steam requires - that its own APIs and functions not trigger bans within games. Overwolf on the other hand I would avoid like the plague. I would avoid overlays in general as they tend to cause problems with games and those conflicts can create some obnoxious headaches.

One thing to note: Steam’s default screenshot keybind is F12 while Blizzard’s default is F13 (PrtScrn) so it might be wise to disable the Steam screenshot key unless you’re trying specifically to add to your own Steam workshop page.

I supposed Discord’s overlay that shows notifications of World Boss, Legion, and Helltide timers can also get you banned? It’s kind of comical that overlays would get you banned. If they aren’t injecting into memory then they should not get you banned.

Overwolf has 15 billion downloads, a multitude of well known sponsors and affiliates, so if using their Overlay gets you banned, you would have an exodus of players reporting the issue.

Overwolf is already trusted by big names. if you get banned for using it, contact their support so they can reach out to Blizzard about it.

First, nice 2 month necro. Second Blizzard has a hard stance on this as others have pointed out in this thread. Use at your own risk. There is nothing Overwolf can say on a players behalf that will get that player unbanned, period. If the overlay itself isn’t currently triggering the automated system blizzard has in place, great, more power to the people who use it. Although I get the feeling once it does trigger and people are flagged and banned you’ll see a lot more complaints on here.

Personally speaking I’m not willing to take that risk when I know what Blizzards stance is on third party programs.

15 BILLION downloads? Is it on the Proxima Centauri B Internet or something? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Anyone who needs 3rd party software to play this non-game is truly special.

2 Likes

I’ve heard of people who got banned for it.