Overwolf overlay for Diablo 4 BAN?

3rd party = ban.

Use at your own risk.

yea doubt there will be an answer on that either via ticket. i think the best way would be to pin them down on it in the next Q&A

It was answered a long time ago, in fact I can probably still find the blue post if I cared enough to look. But you care, so go look.

yea i know the standardized answer, but they also leaned in to tolerate 3rd party software, for example multiboxing, as long as you handle each client individually and dont let a software copy the inputs from one client, to another. Technically its still a 3rd party software you are using along with the game. ^^

i def dont think itd hurt to have it up on a QA again sometime.

You’re going to get the same answer.

“No third party apps.”

as they said in this topic i think it’s better to keep clear from ANY kind of third party program that can affect diablo 4 some way or another.

1 Like

No, they didn’t.

Overwolf does not interact with the game in any way. If Overwolf was to get you banned, so too would Microsoft Word, or a Browser with a map. Overwolf is functionally a browser with predetermined information pertinent to the game available via a keybind, but contains zero live information about your game client.

This is very, very different from something like Turbohud, which at the least reads from your memory and produces information based on that data.

Despite potentially appearing similar, the things available on Overwolf and what turbohud do are a giant chasm apart from each other, and it’s extremely unlikely that Blizzard cares at all about what Overwolf is doing, even if they could detect it, which they absolutely cannot without a severe breach of law in many countries.

All of that said; Overwolf is a shockingly bad app that is completely laden with advertising and terrible performance, and I absolutely wouldn’t use it even with all of the above being true. Alt-tabbing to a browser performs all of the same functions only without the advertising (assuming you adblock), and using any resources you want to.

People linking to and alluding to overwolf being a third party app and game-modifying software simply lack the basic knowledge of what that means and what overwolf does. It does not fit into that category in any way currently. It is not even in a remote grey area. As it stands today, Overwolf is as a third party app to D4 is equivalent to Chrome as a third party app to D4.

3 Likes

use it at your own risk but if you get banned from it, thats on you.

but i want you guys to think about something that i havent seen anywhere on the forums yet… or anywhere else actually.

d4 is now natively on steam.

steam has an official in-game overlay system.

if you use that, does that count as a 3rd party app??? its an official thing. can blizz ban you for using an official steam program??

1 Like

This whole “bluzz can’t detect it!!!” Line is ancient.

Ancient.

Do you read the tos/eula?

Do you have any idea the rights you gave away? Do you play call of duty?

The Blizzard one is less egregious than the call fo duty one, but blizzard absolutely monitors your windows, all of them, your processes, and the game.

Call of duty you have to agree to give them access to your entire browser search history, allow them to search your entire computer whenever they want, AND they have the right to copy your browser data from any digital device you sign into any Activision account with.

People need to read what they agree to and stop thinking that “the law” is going to protect them after they give away all their rights.

That said, if blizzard bans me for looking at a map on a second monitor they can have their game lol.

1 Like

I am using the one from mobalytics for helltide/WB timers and it has been okay

1 Like

I doubt you’ll get banned for Overwolf.

The 3rd party Overlays that will get you banned are the ones that read D4 game files, as well as dynamically change the overlays based on that information.

If they were just banning people purely for using overlays, Discord users would be banned.

2 Likes

Blizzard will never tell you flat out that you can use 3rd party software.

If you get any response it will most likely be a standard ToS quote.

Use at your own risk.

1 Like

You won’t get banned. They can’t afford to lose any players.

Good morning Sebix. Blizzard does not allow any third party software use that touches their games, in any way. Esp if it gives information or advantage beyond what the base game provides. WoW addons are made within a Blizzard provided LUA sandbox and only modify the display in ways Blizzard allows.

D4 does not have that. If Overwolf touches or pulls any real time game info or game files then you don’t want to use it. Blizzard put out a statement on it not so long ago and it is pinned at the top of this forum.

1 Like

Not going to happen :slight_smile:

You are free to bring up a website on your second monitor or another device. That does not interact with the game files, communications, or anything else game related. It is stand alone. It is the things that touch real time game info as you play that they have issues with. I keep a map up on a second monitor too. Quite helpful seeing as we don’t have an official overlay map yet. I hope they do add that eventually.

3 Likes

what about the official in-game Steam overlay?

Is blizz gonna hand out bans to people who use a feature of a platform that they willingly decided to release the game on?

because that works EXACTLY how overwolf works. it does not read or alter game files.

I know nothing about Steam besides the few games I play on it. If you bought D4 on Steam and are using things Steam officially released to go with it, I assume that is fine. I am just another player though, not Blizzard.

That said, keep in mind that unless BLIZZARD approved something, it is all at your own risk.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

i dont use overlays, im not that lazy and I dont cheat ( lets be real, thats all it boils down to, anybody who says otherwise is delusional ). But the overwolf overlay works exactly the same way as the steam in-game overlay does. Yet one is not allowed, and one presumably IS allowed.

Blizzard NEEDS to give a definitive answer to the steam overlay. No beating around the bush about it since that is an official platform feature. They need to stop pussyfooting around this one specifically and give a concrete reply to it.

1 Like

ok buddy we get it you the real deal

found the overlay user.