Opening the inventory causes a huge GPU usage/temp spike

Bad GPU cooling aside, the point of this video/thread is to show that bringing up the menu that shows your 3D character model causes a huge spike in the GPU’s needed power and with that comes a spike in temperature. What is weird is that I could have 100 fires on the screen and fight Uber Lilith and the GPU would work nowhere near as hard.

I don’t get what’s so demanding about the inventory but this seems very, very poorly optimised if it makes a GPU heat up this much.

Again, the point of this is to show that the menu/inventory/3D character model puts a lot of stress on the PC and there’s no good reason for it. Normal gameplay gets nowhere near this temperature/GPU usage.

For reference I have a Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Windforce OC, which is a notoriously bad card for thermals, but that’s besides the point. The point is that Diablo 4’s inventory seems to demand a ton of resources from your PC, far more than normal gameplay does. And that’s simply weird. I’m sitting in town with nothing happening, then I open inventory and my PC is on fire.

5 Likes

[Main Thread] Game Freezes/Crashes GPU fans screaming when opening specific UI Elements - June 2023 you are not alone!

PS: dont mind the slightly missleading title… most ppl in that thread experience the same issue, me included
PPS: try going to the vendor… two 3d portraits… even more noise and heat :slight_smile:

Yeah they need to fix this ASAP. It’s a huge temp increase for no real reason

1 Like

Try lowerin fur quality to the lowest possible. It helped a ton with druid. The other classes are fine in inventory screen, but druid with fur is demanding as hell.

same problem here, when im in town i set to 60 fps and sell/salvage my loot then i roll back to my original settings, 60 fps gets hot aswell but it takes longer to reach high temps.

that cant possibly be the solution

I cap at 30 when vendoring

Other classes are NOT fine in the inventory.

No, its not. But its does help.

You would be better off:

• Making sure the fans and vents on the GPU are clean.
  • Lowering the quality settings a bit. Depending on your hardware settings, if you are using Ultra, drop it to High. High, then to Medium.
  • Ensure you turn off Nvidia Reflex and Peripheral lighting.
  • Set an FPS cap. Cap it to your Monitor’s refresh or lower if needed. I wouldn’t go any lower than 60FPS.
  • Some people have had varying luck with using DLSS either on or off (for Nvidia). You can try that option too.
  • Setup MSI Afterburner and create a custom fan curve that’s more aggressive than the default fan curve to force the card to cool better.

Good luck.

1 Like

I open a shop, freeze. Open inventory freeze. Teleport, usually crash.

1 Like

Main thread.

First thing that you really want to do > set power limit for your GPU( MSI Afterburner for NVIDIA, something really low like 50-70%). Fps lock, lowering ssao/fur quality, turning off nvidia reflex, undervoltage could also help. But Powerlimit works really well here.

1 Like

Nah, this doesn’t work. It’s the 3D char rendering.

None of this are the issue. The issue is Blizzard fixing their menu. This isn’t a question of ''how do I make my GPU not heat up" it’s an issue of " Why does Diablo 4’s menu require the GPU to go 10C hotter than normal gameplay "

Something is wrong with their game if the menu heats your PC more than gameplay

3 Likes

I’m not disputing any of that. I’m offering suggestions on how to lower the effect of it on your hardware, not as a solution or cause of the problem.

Do you see blizzard offering any ideas? Probably because as of now they don’t have any.

Here’s one, disable the 3D character or give me a button to disable it. It’s actually… pretty simple, no?

1 Like

But that requires them to make a change. The suggestions I was posting were things we can do to help mitigate the problem until they address it. If they address it.

Well if they don’t they really deserve all the negative backlash because they have a menu that melts your card for no reason. I’ve never seen this in any game. It’s laughable. How can opening your bags make your GPU spike 15C up in temperature? No other game that I know of has had this issue.

1 Like

Again, not disputing this. Not sticking up for them.

I’m just stating how it is and what we can do to help it till they get around to fixing it, IF they fix it.

Would be nice to know they are aware of it

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.