Now that the dust has settled

What went wrong with Diablo 4? Why didn’t they learn from Diablo 3’s launch? Did they realise that people would buy the game anyway?

18 Likes

I think I might be done for now. Level 60. Spent this evening playing, got genuinely bored. The repetitive simplicity of combat, the lack of reward, the lack of challenge, the pointlessness, it’s a Blizzard game where an exceptional job is done with the environment but the logic falls short. smh

15 Likes

They tried to do a copy/paste of diablo 3 with some grindy elements of diablo 2 in the mix.

Somehow they managed to remove the elements that made both those games good though.

34 Likes

I think the online features are strong, but the game is rather boring for the endgame. IDK what makes devs think people will stick around just to be bored for 5 hours straight.

I don’t think the devs aimed at the 35/hr a week player for D4. To me, it seems like they aimed more at the 10 -15/hr a week crowd where the more directed and varied end game makes a lot more sense to me.

Essentially. If I play D4 for 1-2 hours I enjoy it a ton. If I play for longer because, say, wife and kids are out a lot of the grinding issues begin to creep in around hour 4 imo.

2 Likes

Such as? The lack of global chat, the bare bones clan system? What strong features?

10 Likes

there are many articles from back in december 2022, and even as far back as 2021, that shine a light on ‘what went wrong’. a whole bunch of drama with upper level studio staff, and blizzard execs. all the stuff with the lawsuits. none of the articles mention a global pandemic, but… a global pandemic. seems like production was kind of a nightmare. then they got forced to get something out the door. they brought in the d2’r gang, and dumped it all on them to fix.
going back and rereading those articles now, after having played it for a bit, it makes a lot of sense why it is the way it is.
i still find it inexcusable. game clearly need a lot more time to finish baking. they were forced to shovel it out the door by corporate. typical.

9 Likes

They released a game into a market that is saturated with games that have been running for 10 years plus and have had countless updates on them adding to content and haven’t had to time to add 10 years post release content and are being judged for with that comparison in mind.

Granted they could have done something things better, I ain’t judging fresh live service games by comparing them to others

4 Likes

that has nothing to do with it. at all. that is just some mindless, thoughtless, talking point that gets parroted over and over. it is a meaningless statement.

3 Likes

well it depends, Im playing about 3-4 hours a day and still grind, but I understand many people dont like grind and could be bored, its okay because there is near nothing else to do :smiley: need to wait for seasons and hope they be fun

Yeah, they aimed at the casuals, unfortunately looking and my friendlist and talking with those casual friends it seems that when the carrot is so far away after a while they just don’t feel motivated to play just like everyone else. Most casuals probably finish the campaign and drop the game after a few days just like my mates.

1 Like

Nothing went wrong, lvl77 & haven’t been this addicted to a blizz game since wc3

9 Likes

Monster scaling is the problem.

5 Likes

How is that mindless?

Isn’t that literally what’s happening?

How much content did PoE have on release?

How much content did D3 have?

The D2 that I’m pretty sure we compare the game to now is post xpac being added to it.

Fresh games just have less content lol

2 Likes

If you’re finding monster scaling to be the problem you have a skill issue.

5 Likes

Not at all, I have yet to even die once in this game.

The game overall is incredibly easy, and incredibly linear.

The reason monster scaling is an issue is because there is no point during the leveling process where your character feels especially powerful.

Bosses at 30 take just as long at 60.

The content in D2 and PoE was indeed smaller at launch, but that content did not feel like a monotonous waste of time.

Without a noticeable power arc occurring multiple times during leveling, the game feels very boring. Both PoE and D2 had very clear breakpoints in the game where monsters would step up in strength considerably, when just before that you were facerolling rooms with easy.

This seesawing power arc during leveling is what keeps players engaged.

9 Likes

Lol no they don’t.

You’ve watched too many YouTube videos and not played enough of the game.

At 15 the den mother is a proper boss fight.

At 70 it’s not a boss fight, it’s trash with a little bit more health.

At 80 I was using the as test dummy’s to see if I could kill them it 2 hits and let poison finish them off whilst I ran around the room

6 Likes

Tier 100 and uber lilith are goals that many casuals like my partner will not aspire too because its too challenging, there needs to be goals in between.

and that is the only aspirational content.

there is nothing in between.

There is no static content before Uber Lilith that is a challenge to test yourself against and farm for…SO

Its either you have never even played an arpg and the game is “too hard”

Or you have played arpgs and the game is pathetically easy.

Other than one boss in the whole game.

1 Like

What a childish and foolish response :clown_face: :rofl:

Says you?

His response is straight factual.

3 Likes