Non stop crashing to desktop after patch

I have crashed to desktop almost a dozen times so far today. First few were in nightmare dungeons and I was using holy bolt which I see is now disabled. However I stopped going out of town and tried changing graphics settings in town to try and troubleshoot and crashed several times in town doing nothing. Changing graphics options seemed to have no effect. The crashes are just closing the game and no fenris window with an error code is popping up. I have had a LOT of issues with stability over the last year but never like this. The game is literally unplayable right now. I have already tried the scan/repair option in bnet.

My System:
i9 13900k (w/ 360mm liquid cooler and default power limit enabled in BIOS )
RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Driver 555.99)
ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming Wifi
32 GB (2x 16GB) TridentZ 6400Mhz
Win 11 23H2 and D4 installed on 1 TB 980 Pro SSD
Alienware AW3423DW monitor

1 Like

Try:
go into your username/Documents/Diablo folder and delete or rename your preferences file (don’t recall the file name and I’m on my phone).

Did this. Crashed twice within 5 minutes of logging in again.

change the dstorage.dll file to dstorage.dllbak and the game will stop lagging and crashing. it works for me.

Tried renaming the dstorage.dll file and crashed in 5 minutes again.

the game is still lagging in full screen mode, but it didnt crash now. try changing to windowed mode, i am using it and it works fine.

Appreciate the suggestions but again not my answer. I just changed to windowed mode and tried running around a bit and again crashed to desktop within 5 minutes.

something wrong with your computer.

1 Like

what graphics card are u using?

have you tried getting off the garbage nvidia drivers from april > june and rolling back to a January release?

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us#
January 551.23

If you want to do this the right way DDU first.

a link to a post i gave more instructions and links:

tons of posts on the nvidia latest driver feedback forums of the last 3 or 4 drivers causing all sorts of stutters, fps issues, and game crashes.

If an nvidia driver roll back to January doesn’t fix it, gonna need more a lot more troubleshooting than your pc specs you listed at the top.

did u try reinstalling gpu drivers?

? ? ? ? ? was this a reminder

I gave up on playing D4 last night and played a couple rounds of Apex instead. Didn’t have any crashes or issues in that.

@LichKing I’m using a RTX 4090 Founder’s Edition.

@x7ekken When I first started having the crash I was using driver version 551.84 which is a few months old I believe. I updated to the most recent version trying to solve the crash problem. I have not tried rolling back my drivers yet.

Today I tried swapping an RTX 3090 into my PC still using the most recent Nvidia driver. I’ve been playing for 2 hours now with no crashes so it looks like the issue is with my 4090. I’ve had no issues in other games recently. Not sure why D4 is such a problem.

hope it stays working for you.

I hate to say this, but if you just chose “use defaults” it isn’t the Intel defaults. Even if you actually chose “Intel Defaults”, ASUS’ motherboards still don’t adhere to those limits. You have to manually set your power cap.

I suggest you give this video a good watch, as it explains in more details just what ASUS is doing in hiding the appropriate settings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3StcUhVRWQ

Whether you like Jay or not, he has a valid point, and that is that ASUS’ BIOS settings are a disaster and what you think you’re setting up is likely not what you are actually setting up.

Which is odd. I would double check that 12VHPWR connector to make sure it’s fully intact and not melted or singed anywhere for starters, especially if you’ve been using the four headed hydra pigtail that came with that GPU as that puts a lot of stress on the connector, which could cause unwanted bending/arcing. 4090 FEs aren’t known for problems outside of that connector, so if the connector is fine (both the GPU side and the cable side), then that leads to the next troubleshooting step which is to go in and manually check all BIOS settings. As I noted above, ASUS’ simplified listings aren’t doing what they claim to do even on the latest BIOS updates. It’s possible that the higher power draw of the 4090 combined with damage to the CPU from improper BIOS settings may have already affected your system’s stability beyond usability at high loads.

Yea I know Asus BIOS settings are a nightmare. I did follow a video on changing the settings because of how convoluted the menus but it was not the one you linked. I can go take another look at my BIOS settings tomorrow.

I did inspect the connectors on both the 4090 and the cable when I removed it. I read all the stories about burning cables so I was worried about that but both connections were in good condition and it was fully seated before I removed it. I have a MSI MPG A1000G power supply with a native 12VHPWR connector on it so no hydra adapter.

This worked for me… do you use text to speech?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.