Need More and Different Skeletons

The cartoon skeletons the necromancer gets are a strange design choice seeing as how you fight actual skeletons that don’t look cartoony. Why do we get the Micky Mouse brigade?
They really don’t fit in with the setting or tone at all. It would be nice to get a reskin to even the default enemy skeleton’s.

Also, I never understood the reasoning behind making a summoner class and and giving them an extremely limited number of summons. What made D2 necromancer so much fun was being able to fill the screen with skellys (pre-patch 1.04? 1.02?? something like 38 max bone-bros) where you had to really micro manage yourself to keep your army of death up and fighting.

Only having 7 Warriors( 5 without skill), 3 mages and 1 golem is boring.
Its more fun to have 100 minions that do 1 damage and have 1 hp than it is to have 1 minion with 100 hp and that does 100 dmg, if you get my point.
It really makes the necro bland and sorta defeats the point of having a summoner class. If I wanted to sit back and cast spells id be a mage and if I wanted to go toe to toe with the enemy id play a barb, as a necromancer I want an army of the undead and 9-11 minions is barely a squad let alone an army.

I could handle having the goof troop if there were lots of them or having a smaller army if they looked really nice but both of those together is a disaster.

What the heck, blizz. You started the popularity of mass minion summoning in ARPG’s, how did you forget how to make them unique and interesting?

Seriously, the more I play the more im getting the sneaking suspicion that this is an upgraded phone game or something… I don’t get it lol

I sort-of half agree with you here. I love minion builds and the D2 Necro is who I think of when I think ideal summoners. I think the analogy of 100 skeles that do one damage is a bit overkill. The Necro summons do look goofy, cartoony even. That said we don’t know how they will be polished pre-release and to top it off with microtransactions being cosmetic Blizz might actually do the smart thing and release ability style cosmetics.

1 Like

Absolutely an exaggeration haha
I just meant that sometimes less is just less and more is more.

I seriously hope they didn’t make the skeletons look horrible so they can sell you skins later… now that you’ve mentioned it im about 99.98% certain they did.

Oh man, that would swear me off Blizzard for the rest of my life.

It’s certainly possible, trust me I love seeing a screenfull of minions same as the next guy. But D2 necro has a lot of flaws couple with it. Mage skeles doing no damage is still an issue even in D2R. How can I feel like a maniacal overlord of the dead if some of my army doesn’t pull their weight? lol

1 Like

That’s where adding in a ton more would come into play.
I know my warriors just obliterate anything they glance at and my mages don’t even tickle enemys.

Make the warriors weaker but give you a lot more of them and just flat out increase the mage cap without buffing or nerfing them. Boom, instant D2 style necro without him being so OP they would have to call him Nagash or so baby poo weak that no one would ever want to play as that class.

It would add more depth to the class because you would actually have to summon skeletons more than once, force you to make the hard choices of if you want to leave the McRib corpse for a potential summon or use it right away as an explosion ect ect.

It could be great and the ground work is already done.

This bugs me since D3, the necro skeletons there looked terrible with there blue, red whatever loincloth … the Grim Dawn skeletons are what we want, these guys look awesome, their animations are as good as the characters, just awesome.

1 Like

It couldn’t possibly be because it’s a beta with a level 25 cap, huh? Make all the criticisms you want about the skellie design, no issue there (since you’re 100% right), but how many skellies did you have in D2 pre 1.09 at level 50 of 99? Even if you did have some, they were about as formidable as wet paper towel. How the hell did you micro manage fighting Diablo back then? All the corpses disappeared when he spawned and his firestorm/firewall/firenova/lightning hose straight wiped your army. You’d have to TP out, farm minions in RoF, and return. Such. A. Fun. Playstyle. Loved. The. Pacing. :expressionless:

As for D4, who knows what kind of items and other things can boost the army size later on? For all I know you may be right, but point is I think it’s pretty early to throw out the criticism when we haven’t even come close to touching endgame. That goes for how strong the minions are as well. And what’s with this mage stuff? I do the same thing I’ve always done. Let the minions loose and back it up with curses and CE (this time in the form of blood mist). As far as spells, I’m only casting the occasional blight to pull in/debuff ads and the occasional basic for essence generation/debuff. To me, that’s far more entertaining then missing all the action because I’m constantly focused on the tiny little minion count number. Supporting and directing your army seems a lot more fun than being stuck in a constant cycle of summoning it.

In the meantime, have you tried putting the +2 on an ammy for an extra 50%? I’m assuming you’d get a 3rd there if that works. A friend of mine is also rocking the +2 mage as well.

Finally, it least it’s a VAST improvement over D3. Talk about crap play style with a bunch of crap cartoony designs.