Necromancer Survivability

I have found this class extremely frustrating to play the past two seasons. There is no logical way to play this class AND stay alive. It’s very hard to not be so squishy or get your glyphs maxed with out A getting a run with a friend. Necromancer is at the very bottom of the leaderboard.

While I agree the Nerf to Glynns Anvil was needed. It was such a nerf that it really affected the way we are forced to play. We can’t compete if we have to take multiple aspects of defense. I’m hoping this changes in season 15

2 Likes

the necromancer definitely needs some dev love. the blood wave build was okay but didn’t really capture my imagination. i have a minion/shadow build that i was enjoying but my poor necro has been mostly abandoned to druid, warlock and barb play time.

also the animations for a warlock army are far more brutal than the necro army. would be nice if they updated that some.

Indeed, I had to run endurant faith, it helped quite a bit. A lot. And it has no mobility to escape, once you’ve used blood mist

Blizzard only knows one way to nerf…into the ground.

Not to be “that person “, but in hard-core I can hang in pit 115 and take almost no damage. Most of the build guides out there are designed to show huge damage numbers with an absolute minimal defense configuration. I recommend swapping a few of the offensive components for some more defense in those build guides. Otherwise, they are very glass canon.

if you don’t like glass cannot you simply have to sacrifice pit teirs for survival, simple as that. I can’t stand being one shot on my summoner necro, so I do exactly that.

I have been playing with a legendary chest with 40%DR on, I take all life and armour/res nodes on my paragon as a priority before damage nodes. I also take Scent of Death board for the 15% DR 40% damage legendary node.

I also build around Seal of the golden epiphany as a summoner, and use it to support 1 defensive (Temerity) unique power and two damage unique powers, along with 3 piece waking touch.
If i combo this with having 13 skeletal reapers (you get +1 from having a mythic undercrown for some reason) with the upgrade healing, you can generate absolutely insane health and barrier regen, couple this with mage book of the dead barrier regen and you are effectively unkillable outside of one shots. This causes stacking life to be an incredibly strong way to build, and I generally have +life on every slot except amulet.
I am to have 40k+ life (currently have 52k) which is then doubled with barrier, and then I get 80%+ DR from armour and my lowest res, while fire res I have on about 84-85%, and about 59% DR on my stat sheet in combat, brought up slightly by weaken which is applied instantly.
With all that said though, if my skeletal reapers get stunned or knocked away from melee range i can still be 1 shot by “meat brothers” butcher variants in T12. However regular butchers or any lair boss can’t kill me let alone one shot me. Lilith white orbs in phase 2 can, but I can stand in all other mechanics, and as for meph on T12 I think only his act 2 beam (though I might be able to survive it as I have done in previous iterations of my build) and his act 3 spirits if they all land on me when I lose where my char is as the camera stops following your location -_-

Anyway my point is, you can absolutely be extremely tanking, but there is a huge cost damage wise. My highest pit clear is only 124, though I can clear pit 118 a bit over 3 and 120 in about 6 mins, so still managed to get my glyphs to 137-140 as im playing SSF.

2 Likes

Ive noticed this with my summoning build. I do good damage at 53, but as soon as somethinf spawns under me and goes off? One shot. Its frustrating.

equip SoJ and stack the res of the element you deal damage with, along with making sure you having at least one defensive (DR) aspect, armour and life tempers and life on gear with the % life splinter and you will feel unkillable.

SoJ is a huge help this season. Also stacking barriers with shadow mages, que rune and decompose, while putting armor(translates to all res.) and max life everywhere you can.