Minions don't need an increase to base damage

What they need is proper scaling and reworks to some of the terrible talents and paragon. It baffles me that Kalan’s Edict doesn’t get a rework.

1 Like

base damage increase is literally an attempt at “proper scaling”. I am not going to say minions will be godmode, im just saying that is a fix at the route level outside of a complete rework.
If you multiply zero you get zero, if you change their base damage all the multipliers they already have gain exponential growth.
Is 20% enough to do that? I don’t know yet. But they plan on adding more changes in season 4.

Anyway I am not going to complain at the first substantial buff to minions since launch.

1 Like

I keep saying it OVER and OVER!!! They do not CARE what you think regarding how it should work or not work. The designers have a VISION of what the playstyle should be and the skills and whatnot are based around that vision. To that end, every adjustment they make revolves around getting that design working as efficiently as possible. Whether or not that’s GOOD is besides the point.

Notice how everything I comment on and what devs change based on that feedback revolves around making their pre-existing skills, talents and whatnot better (such as Rathma’s Vigor collecting blood orbs & reducing time to next OP). In season 1, I had played a build revolving around fortifying and staying healthy with B.O.'s. Season 2’s update to RV made it more robust taking into account how Necro’s are ALREADY designed. We already HAVE a Blood Begets Blood board that we want to get into. It just needed to work.

What you guys (you, Ralph, Bactyrael) fail to understand is that you’re never going to get them to redesign an entire system and how things work. That’s not your job. You’re not the designer. You’re a PLAYER. To that end, the best thing you can do as a player is to PLAY IT and figure out where adjustments can be made BASED ON what is ALREADY there.

If a skill doesn’t do enough damage, then how much more damage does it need to do? 10,15,20%? In that case, you’re not asking for an entire redesign. You’re asking them to examine whether that adjustment is appropriate.

Like, if a boss has 1,000,000 HP, and most builds in your class are clearing it in, say 10 seconds (100k dps), but one build is doing 50k dps. It’s clear that that build needs help, but what adjustments and where can those adjustments be made?

Regarding Kalan’s Edict, they’re not changing that anytime soon and even I couldn’t convince them. For reasons I mentioned previous. I had the strongest possible case as well. Apparently the designers DO intend for you to play No Damage runs with this particular spec. So that’s the way that you have to play it. No if’s/and’s/or’s. Either you play it to the best or get out. Very simple. Whether or not that’s bad is open to interpretation, but it’s the way they made it. We have no say so over the matter.

edit:
to be specific, Minion base damage (Skeletal Warriors) is currently 0.14 and a 20% increase to that comes out to 0.17. My bad.

• Skeletal Warrior
    • Skirmishers
      • Base damage increased from 0.11 to 0.14.
    • Defenders
      • Base damage increased from 0.11 to 0.14.

On topic:
A 20% change to base will not lead to exponential growth. It stays 20% after applying stats and multipliers. Changing the base does not make sense to me. Early game minions are about ok but late game they could use a 10x to 100x buff.

Off topic:
Wukong… here we go again…

Notice how everything I comment on and what devs change based on that feedback

What you guys fail to understand is that you’re never going to get them to redesign an entire system and how things work. That’s not your job. You’re not the designer. You’re a PLAYER.

Regarding Kalan’s Edict, they’re not changing that anytime soon and even I couldn’t convince them.

Even you, don’t make me laugh. You’re not on blizzards payroll. Your feedback isn’t more valuable than others in any way. Being players doesn’t mean we’re not allowed to voice our opinions on game systems, mechanics and balance. That’s what this forum is for among other things.

Regarding Kalan’s Edict, they’re not changing that anytime soon

You can be sure it’s on the chopping block for S4. I’ll eat my copy of D4 if not.

5 Likes

yeah if 20% is after modifiers that sucks, but lets wait and see.

some interesting changes in the bug fixes too, apparently cult leader was not working properly, and hewed flesh should work from thorns now, along with reapers having a flat 15% corpse proc chance instead of it apparently being based on lucky hit.

Isn’t base damage calculated before any mulipliers?

Base isn’t calculated. It’s the “raw” value before anything is calculated. If you multiply the base by 1.2, you get 1.2 times the result out of the damage formula, inevitably.

[base] + [base] * [some additive bonus] + … = [damage]
(1.2 * [base]) + (1.2 * [base] * [some additive bonus]) + … = 1.2 * [damage]

1 Like

So yeah, I meant base comes before everything else.

imagine you are all focusing on the fact that tbe Base value was increase; and completely ignoring the fact that the main minion multiplier from cult leader was not even working like i said. It will be interesting now to see the damage increase from attack speed that we WERE not getting to its full potential.

Yeah i read that too, kinda shocked me tbh.

do you know how much isn’t currently working?

I definitely saw number increases when I quickly checked with all my gear on, but at no point did i test anything.

Does anyone know how much the current base damage of skeletons are exactly?

from what i remember when i vaguely was testing it, it was still outputting the same dps from before it was changed to attack speed. Basically the damage increase came more from the “per second” aspect. Basically more attack speed meant well more attacks so dmg increase was happening. It just was not appearing to increase hows its intended. With the Fix + the base. We should see about a 30% increase to any numbers that people were running in the set up assuming they were using the glyph + the base incrase.

Agreed, were entitled to our opinions, and as a player and long time Diablo player I have a lot of opinions about how the game could be a lot better. Yes, some aspects of the game need to be completely overhauled. I don’t care if the designers think what they did was a good idea, its not working.

Well if you’re laughing you’re not paying attention. Because my argument was based on my past experience as a Resident Evil speedrunner. You are not a speedrunner ergo your experience is not relevant in this case.

No I’m not, and neither are you. That’s the point I’m trying to make. It’s the designer’s job to work on these skill trees and whatnot. That’s not your job and your ideas about reworking stuff entirely goes out the window.

In the sense that I’m a regular player and you’re a regular player, yeah you’re right. But in terms of which feedback gets the game changed, mine is absolutely more valuable and there’s a track record that spans back. I don’t mean to toot my own horn or anything but like I want to put it into perspective.

Of course you’re ALLOWED! It’s not ABOUT being allowed. It’s about what’s REAL! What’s the point of wishful thinking if you know they’re never going to change it?!? You’re just wasting your time! And I’m not the only player that’s telling you this, cause there’s also other players who are saying similar things as well! We’re trying to help you not put you down.

Prepare to eat your copy of D4 (and stream it to twitch) and I’ll tell you the reason why. It has to do with the business side of things. The company ‘shipped’ a certain version of the product and they’re not allowed to change it too much from what it originally was. Cause if they did, they can be nailed for bait and switch among other things. So you see, they can’t do reworks or revamps until Vessel of Hatred, when it then becomes a “new” product.

This is so absurd I’m not even going to bother commenting on any of that.

2 Likes

Don’t brother with them, they are highly delusional. Better to put the guy on your ignore list.

Good cause it shows that you’re listening on some level. I’m trying to convey to you what type of feedback IS taken into consideration and what feedback IS NOT taken into consideration.

I know these are bad examples, but Rob asked for a PTR, and Raxx before that made some recommendations for AoZ and whatnot, and these were answered and given to us. It’s not b/c they’re content creators (although it does help a lot), but it’s because what they asked for makes sense & not out of the bounds of what they’re capable of doing.

It’s all helpful information for you. If you’re going to be like Indian and just tune it out b/c he thinks i’m delusional or whatnot, then you had better accept the gamble. Either he’s right or I’m right. Which basket do you want to put your eggs in?

The idea that the devs cannot remove the conditional of two seconds without taking damage from Kalan’s Edict because the shareholders won’t allow such a huge change is utterly ridiculous.

3 Likes

LEGAL team, not shareholders. It seems that way doesn’t it? Yet think about how long we’ve been talking about Kalan’s Edict and it STILL hasn’t changed despite mostly everything else has. Heck, the idea of keeping seasonal content in came from players and the devs actually gave that to us. They did NOT, however, give us the change for Kalan’s Edict and it’s been multiple seasons.

Remember that I’m on your team. I’m a Necromancer too, and I also did not like having to play No Damage runs. I advocated for them to change it to “while healthy” because it’s more in line with other talents such as Inspiring Leader, Rathma’s Vigor, etc.

They didn’t change it for the reason I’m telling you. They have a vision for how they wanted that passive to play out (and that’s No Damage) so you either play that and get with the program or not. Unfortunately, my Duriel video does show that it’s possible.

In any case, I’m going to record a new video for the patch notes. It’ll be up shortly.

edit: holy cow it’s an hours worth of commentary! I’m not editing all that lmao! video scrapped most likely.

There are no legal issues with such a change, whatsoever.

3 Likes