Max foregorund/background fps settings not working (limit fps option)

It does not work with Adrenalin driver 23.4.1 on AMD 6800 XT either. VSync nor framerate limit are applied correctly in menus or in-game. The GPU usage is out of control in the menus and I worry it will burn out GPUs or worse.

ive now used Radeon Super Chill option to limit FPS from the AMD software itself. This is just a temporary fix until Blizzard fixes this bug

Same Problem here. I have an Intel i7 6700 cpu, a geforce gtx 970 gpu and running a Windows 10 64bit. I downloaded the latest Nvidia driver (Version 531.79 from 2023.5.2).
I can only limit my fps by activating Vsync, it limits to 60 fps. If i deactivate Vsync my gpu trys to generate as much fps as possible, 150 fps in menu, 70 fps ingame, with 100% gpu usage. It does not limit the foreground/background fps i selected.

Same problem - FPS limit is doing nothing on a friend’s PC.

1. played for 3hrs, it was limiting FPS ok, went offline and d4 downloaded some update?
  2. came back a few hrs later, got ingame, pc overheating - press ctrl+R and find out that FPS is not capped
  3. we try to set it to some other value, reset to defaults, restart game, restart PC, install newest nvidia drivers (before it was the ones for the previous beta).
    Still no limit to FPS.
    GPU is GTX970M.

Maybe rename the thread because it seems this bug isn’t limited to one particular GPU.

Thanks for the replies guys. i edited the title since it seems indeed that multiple brands/models have this problem.

but since im a multitasking player. i click alot outside the game window. so this has to be fixed. since the FPS limit on amd does not work outside the focused game window.

AMD chill/fps limit does its job but only when im acitvely playing.

2 Likes

I have same problem, since latest update that downloaded the in game fps cap settings doesnt work at all.

Also having this issue:
Amd 7600
7900xtx
32gb ram

Same here, can’t cap to 60FPS

CPU : 5800X3D
GPU : RX 6750 XT
RAM : 32Gb

I’m also pretty sure I played with 60 FPS cap on the previous beta.

Same here with 6800 xt, worth mentioning that fps limiter worked fine right when server slam went up, it broke after the small patch(the one that added DLSS i guess?) was released some minutes after the servers went live.

Came here looking to see if others are suffering with this, as soon as i’m not on the Diablo window my GPU is being hammered.

CPU - Intel i7-13700KF
GPU - Radeon RX 7900 XTX 32GB
OS - Windows 11

1. i have a problem, i cannot low the fps from 240fps to 144fps, only if i limit from display settings in windows (144hz) or monitor itself (also disable freesync in monitor)
  2. the only issue is that it’s using 99% gpu load, for nothing, i can limit the frequency of my gpu to 90% and still get 240fps and gpu is way cooler, less power draw.
  3. there is something weird happening with the game, also AMD adrenaline doesn’t register Diablo IV as anything to tweak on.
  4. if i set 144fps ingame, doesn’t apply, not even in adrenaline (global/display) settings. the game just goes to monitor’s refresh rate,regardless of freesync (you have to tick 60,120,144,240) to get it stable and obviously different power draw from gpu. is annoying cause if you play anything else, you have to change settings again, also wears the monitor if you change it 20 times a day.
    5.best advice - leave it freesync 240fps but limit power draw to 90% ( Plimit), maxfrequency from 120% to 95%, mv from 1250 to 1105. you get 240fps anyway cause it’s well optimized, cooler gpu, less hungry.
  5. it’s annoying if i enter MW, restart settings… all over again

Build 1

:heavy_check_mark:𝐌𝐁: Gigabyte Aorus pro V2
:heavy_check_mark:𝐂𝐏𝐔: AMD Ryzen 5900x 5.15ghz -30off / 60C
:heavy_check_mark:𝐆𝐏𝐔: XFX 6900 XT 2665mhz 355W 70C gpu die - 88 Junction temp
:heavy_check_mark:𝐑𝐀𝐌: G.SKILL 3800C14Q32GTZN 4SR x 8gb IF 1900 / 34C DIMM CPU / 33C x 3DIMM
:heavy_check_mark:𝐒𝐒𝐃: Adata XPG 1TB / 970 EVO 500gb / 2x 1TB QVO 860 / 4TB SSHD / 2TB HDD
:heavy_check_mark:𝐏𝐒𝐔: Corsair HX 1200 Platinum
:heavy_check_mark:𝐂𝐚𝐬𝐞: Thermaltake View 51 GT custom 4x200mm + 16x 120mm fans
:heavy_check_mark:𝐎𝐒: Windows 10

:heavy_check_mark:𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐨𝐫: G7 Odyssey 27" 1440p 240hz
:heavy_check_mark:𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐬𝐞𝐭: Asus Theta / S880DB
:heavy_check_mark:𝐌𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞: Roccat Kone XP Custom grip
:heavy_check_mark:𝐊𝐞𝐲𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝: Steelseries Apex Pro
:heavy_check_mark:G𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐩𝐚𝐝: Xbox One + PS4 controller

you must manually add diablo4.exe

got same problem cannt use in game max back and foreground fps i got an old computer though but same as u guys, i did use radeon chill, my hardware i5 2nd gen, 16gb ram radeon 480 8gb, works all on ultra with 40-60 fps depends on area, however i just wanted ot lock it at like 40 fps to not keep gpu and cpu at 100% :slight_smile: im at 1080p btw in case u curious how i get 40-60 fps on so so old pc dosent evne have hyperythreading, so d4 is awsome that i can go ultra all settings on it but realy need that max fps setting cause readon chill sucks if u dont move mouse very fast to get the max fps picked

Same problem here on Ryzen 3700X and Radeon 6800XT.

The description in the game states “Enable this option to limit and adjust the maximum framerate when running in the foreground” but there is no box to enable/disable this setting. Is this a UI issue or is the setting not working entirely?

My game keeps freezing while loading. I see the D4 splash screen then login queue. Sometimes I get to character select. Then my screen goes black and i hear coil whine. My computer requires me to hard shut down.

I played fine on Friday but now this is happening. No other changes. I can only assume it has something to do with the fps being uncapped.

I too have all AMD hardware.
7900x CPU
7900xtx GPU power color hellhound
Asus strix 650e-f motherboard

Game is unplayable for me now.

Just noticed this problem too. Can’t cap the foreground gps on my nVidia 2070. Bit worriesome. Seeing a lot of recent posts of different model GPUs being bricked and man…I reeeeally don’t want to take the risk lol. I realized that the server is STILL under maintainence (since like 1pm EST or whenever I noticed it), but I wanted to peek in to see if it was playable. That was a mistake, but at least I’m aware of the problem now. I guess I’ll wait another day or two to launch the game and see if any fixes have been made.

This is a recent development, as my GPU temps hovered around 35c last night. But now they are maxed out at 80+ (Where I have my temp limited). So whatever happened since last night and now, is a new development on my end.

Ah…Yea, the Blues addressed this it seems.

I did just “optimize” the loadout with geForce, so I’ll readjust them back down to default…whenever the this unannounced “maintenance” period ends.

Can’t believe it’s not resolved yet. We can’t have more than 60 fps with Vsync on. If we have Vsync off the game has a screen tear.

RX 6800 / Ryzen 7 5800X / 32 GB RAM / NVMe SSD

1 month into release and the limiters are still NOT working .
fix this crap , before we get another diablo3 problem with burned out gpu’s.
u already messed up the game , could this be something before it messes up peoples computer also