Lightning Storm Scaling Issues

Lightning storm has a problem. Well, it has several problems, but the problem I’m here to talk about is one that usually gets overlooked. Lightning storm doesn’t benefit from the paragon board.

“What?” I hear your incredulity. “No it’s a storm skill, it’s clearly buffed by the thunderstruck board. It’s nature magic, it’s a lot of things!” These are rational opinions to have. They’re well founded. Technically they’re even true. But I know things you don’t know. I know things you couldn’t know, things that should not be known.

You see, I’m not a rational man. I’ve been a lightning storm main since level 3. My eyes were blinded by lightning and it’s all I see. I’m here to teach you the truth behind this wild magic.

Lightning storm isn’t what deals damage in a lightning storm build. You can ignore the skill level. You can ignore your weapon power. You can ignore your weapon speed. You don’t even use willpower. What actually does damage in a lightning storm build are 3 aspects.

• Lightning dancer’s aspect
  • Overcharged aspect
  • Runeworker’s conduit

The damage on these abilities is 2-4 times higher than a level 9 lightning storm with similar item level. They have more reliable hitboxes and they all multiply off of each other. These are the only aspects that give you a reason to use lightning storm over tornado. These are the crux of any lightning build. And unfortunately, the only paragon board that benefits them is heightened malice (the poison one).

Lightning items are not core skills, they are not storm skills, they can never be shape shifter or nature magic. They do not have lucky hit chances. They have lightning damage. The paragon board has never heard of this term “lightning” except as a thing to resist.

What this means is by the time you reach level ~75 and go to pick your second board, your lightning storm builds will be as powerful as they will ever be. From then on no matter what you do your damage will fall behind mob progression.

I have no solution to this problem as answers are never easy. But my job is not to give answers. My job is to reveal the truth of heaven. The truth is as my blind eyes gazed skyward thunder called out to me:

𝔄𝔰 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔯𝔞𝔦𝔫 𝔣𝔞𝔩𝔩𝔰 𝔣𝔯𝔬𝔪 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔰𝔨𝔶 𝔰𝔬 𝔱𝔬 𝔰𝔥𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔩𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔰𝔱𝔬𝔯𝔪 𝔣𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔦𝔫 𝔡𝔭𝔰. 𝔗𝔲𝔯𝔫 𝔟𝔞𝔠𝔨 𝔶𝔢 𝔪𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔞𝔩 𝔪𝔢𝔫. 𝔉𝔦𝔫𝔡 𝔞 𝔟𝔢𝔱𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔟𝔲𝔦𝔩𝔡 𝔲𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔩 𝔥𝔢𝔩𝔩 𝔣𝔯𝔢𝔢𝔷𝔢𝔰 𝔬𝔳𝔢𝔯. 𝔘𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔩 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔠𝔬𝔩𝔡 𝔴𝔦𝔫𝔡𝔰 𝔬𝔣 𝔣𝔞𝔱𝔢 𝔱𝔲𝔯𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔦𝔯 𝔤𝔞𝔷𝔢 𝔲𝔭𝔬𝔫 𝔲𝔰. 𝔘𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔩 𝔅𝔩𝔦𝔷𝔷𝔞𝔯𝔡 𝔯𝔞𝔦𝔰𝔢𝔰 𝔩𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔰𝔱𝔬𝔯𝔪 𝔟𝔞𝔠𝔨 𝔱𝔬 𝔦𝔱’𝔰 𝔯𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔣𝔲𝔩 𝔭𝔩𝔞𝔠𝔢 𝔞𝔱𝔬𝔭 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔠𝔩𝔬𝔲𝔡𝔰.

3 Likes

but… lightning storm is a nature spell. and a werewolf spell. and a shapeshifting spell. and a storm spell. and a core spell.

What?

i think these aspects are our supplement (i.e. not maindmg) for a proc based lightning build, not a coreskill altering aspects like pulv or trample.

the main crux lies in that, that our charged lightning storm needs to be changed that all five bolts hits one target.

I was so very concerned that this would be a problem. Now that I’m level 95 it absolutely is. I love playing a Storm Druid and I’ve been struggling, just like OP. The three main sources of damage:

• Lightning dancer’s aspect
  • Overcharged aspect
  • Runeworker’s conduit

have their damage increased by very few paragon nodes. I’ve been trying for days to brainstorm a way to make it work and so far I haven’t found one.

We, the Storm Druids, need help.

1 Like

Only werewolf if you were blessed with a Tempest Roar by RNGesus. Been farming for it for so long that I am now quite certain that Tempest Roar is just a joke by Blizzard and doesn’t actually exist.

1 Like

I don’t believe this thread in the slightest.

By which I mean I don’t want to believe it since I literally started a storm druid yesterday and have plans for it.

1 Like

Not a problem as long as your plans are REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY long term

Yea I been playing Storm hybrid with Earthen. Lightning is so fun watching it rain down on your enemies. Shame that it has such bad limitations in scaling. Hope there is something overlooked.

So I’m assuming with what the OP said. You need Lightning damage % on Gear. This will boost the Aspects and be your best Scaling.