Lag Spikes Killing Hardcore Characters

Hardcore is truly the only real way to play the game. Loot matters, have to play more tactically, and proceed with more caution. However, I was killed by my 2nd lag spike tonight and chuckled. There’s actually no excuse for the game to not recognize a connection loss occurring and preserve the character.

None, zero, zilch. The only reason why this problem persists is so you keep playing. Making new characters, buying new skins, etc. I’ve yet to complete the campaign, and I am beginning to think with the spikes it actually might not be that possible.

Add private games or an offline mode. Silly silly problems to have. It makes the devs look bad, not evil, but unskilled.

1 Like

oh, im sure they can detect that, however, that can also easily be abused, as it was in diablo 2.

alternatively, you can play softcore, and just delete your char when you died by your own mistake, and keep it when its just your internet acting up. (assuming you already have the HC achievements you want)

6 Likes

An honor system doesn’t bother me per se. I lose out on Hall of Heroes, and in general the stakes aren’t the same.

1 Like

With Scroll of Escape and Death Evasion potion, Hardcore is just another Softcore, but with no players.

1 Like

I’ve not ran into these potions yet, but I can’t imagine they help when you lag and die.

true, i didnt think about the hall of fallen heroes.

Not a giant loss, but it is a cool feature.

1 Like

They actually did have this, and people were abusing it. By doing Alt F4 or using a network disconnection tool, you could just exit the game when you died, and as long as you didn’t get to the character screen before disconnecting you would be returned to town.

So many people abused this that they changed it.

That’s an unacceptable answer honestly.

This right here is the problem

I’m not actually acknowledging this but also not denying it

Would’ve been far far better if they didn’t make HC but balanced the game properly for increasing challenge as levels get higher

And then eventually added it back with a few extra features where could be easier to obtain HP and DR for example

You noobs can only have this excuse for one more week.

3 Likes

Hardcore just makes you play with more thought, and the character really does take on their own achievement/RP.

1 Like

I would agree if the servers weren’t “Always online… but not really”
In their current state, it is not worth playing HC.

how does your bad connection make the devs look bad?

Right that’s the drag. I was excited for it, it’s happened twice now and I’m like “Ewwwww.”

2 Likes

I was too, then it just stopped mattering.
Just play SC like you are trying NOT to die it feels a lot better than the server killing you.

1 Like

The exact same way you make your parents look bad.

There is no point in going back and forth with people who don’t believe Server issues exist for anyone else because it does not happen to them. Just ignore it.

I have a rock solid Verizon Fios Gigabit connection and while any connection can have an issue, I never have as many consistently with other games, like I do with Blizzard Games. This includes OW…but oddly only in Competitive games, quickplay - no issues. I have tried everything to resolve before looking at the Servers as the culprit.

I live in the DC metro area, and if after a disconnect I VPN to another locale like NYC or Texas, it can be more stable. And honestly there are a lot of stretches where there is no issue, but usually after a patch there will be a few. I have posted in the past about how to go about figuring out if it is something in your internal network you can fix or if it is in the route, in the past. If you really want to search for it, it may be helpful.

Oh I know he’s just trolling lol. Yeah the game’s server issues are very well documented but it just sucks that my favorite way to play isn’t really in the game.

1 Like

while i agree that lavawhisph response is kinda mean, id also assume personally that itll most likely be an isp issue. Did you try a tracerouting? im of absolutely no expert on this matter, but constant lags,/dcs dont really fit to d4 outside of the first days of a season id say. (german here, we arent really known for our awesome net infrastructure ^^)