Inventory item visual clarity is a growing issue

https://ibb.co/0DSpfWq <== Example of D2R Inventory vs Diablo 4

I think the visual clarity of the inventory is generally better in older Diablo games. See the screenshot for anecdotal “proof.” I understand why we have a single size grid, because playing Tetris is not fun either, but it can be straight up difficult to find items. The problem is getting worse with more UI elements on top of the already cluttered small item graphics.

A D4 item could have on it…

• master worked icons
  • transmog icons
  • favorited/salvage badges
  • greater affix badges
  • gem slots
  • red X’s for non-class items
  • ancestral/sacred auras/glows
  • borders (for Uniques and Legendaries anyway)
  • more???

For the items anyone currently equips, all of those UI elements are on top of similar background colors too (2 shades of brown and yellow, for a few minutes). Yeesh.

It’s an accessibility principle that elements need to have clear distinction when they are interacted with, and just changing colors (for example on a button rollover) doesn’t cut it. That’s part of why HTML anchor tags (by default) have an underline when hovered/focused (and knowing is half the battle… G.I.JOE). In a game, I’d make an argument that is true for something you’re searching for too. If someone with perfect (as far as I know) vision has a tough time finding items, I can only imagine for someone with low vision.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s impressive how many different UI elements are already fitting on top of these little item boxes. I don’t have great ideas about how to improve it either (maybe a toggle?). It’s not the most important thing, but I believe it is much easier to see what you have in older Diablo games, and I think it should be improved in Diablo 4.

2 Likes