Ice Spikes and Icefall for blizzard sorc

I wanted to know if Ice Spike damage is increased with the Icefall legendary node. The blizzard build uses the glacial aspect to make ice spikes inside of blizzard, and i wanted to know if the legendary node increases the damage of the Spikes when the monster is vulnerable.

Yes, all additive damage and multiplicative makes spikes do more damage, the only thing that does not is your intelligence ( I think since it states skill damage) and your weapon damage value

The Icefall legendary paragon node says “Your Frost Skills deal 15%[x] increased damage to to Vulnerable enemies. This bonus is doubled if the enemy is also Frozen.” From what i understand, Ice Spike is not a ‘skill’ in the sense that intelligence does not scale it, but does this specific legendary node increased Ice Spike damage?

Edit: I was wrong, Int does scale ice spikes.
Edit 2: I think the confusion is that blizzard is a mastery skill, and while you use this mastery skill to create the ice spikes, the ice spikes themselves do not benefit from +mastery-skill damage, such as the Adept glyph. So people sort of remember that it doesn’t benefit from mastery-skill and conflate that with the Intelligence tooltip ‘increases skill damage’ and conclude that Int doesn’t help ice spikes, but it in fact does.

1 Like

Damn I am using it, but you are right, ice spikes is not buffed by skill, intelligence, weapon damage doesn’t affect it, I am guessing this node does nothing to boost ice spike damage, gonna try to test it tomorrow but it shouldn’t be easy to notice.

I tested it. TLDR; Icefall DOES increase the damage of Ice Spikes. Also, Intelligence DOES scale Ice Spikes.

OK here is what I did. I took off my sorcerer enchants, all my uniques, all my vampire powers, and took out all my paragon glyphs. I put on 70% crowd control duration legendary aspect and gear. I used frost nova with the vulnerable talent to freeze+vulnerable the Elite Training Dummy then cast blizzard once. The glacial aspect was on my necklace so I got ice spikes. I only looked at the crits that happened while the target dummy was frozen. After every test I waited for blizzard to stop, reset the test dummy twice, then waited 5 seconds before repeating.

I tested with the legendary paragon node Icefall, which says “Your Frost Skills deal 15%[x] increased damage to to Vulnerable enemies. This bonus is doubled if the enemy is also Frozen.” I also of course took out the legendary node and tested without it.

Without the legendary node Icefall, the Ice Spikes were hitting for ~78k to ~86k crits. With Icefall they were hitting between ~100k and ~110k crits. This is the expected 30% increase. The conclusion is that Icefall DOES increase the damage of Ice Spikes.

Later I was testing on a boss training dummy with fewer items to keep the numbers lower. I put on a staff with no stats, my intelligence was at 612. Ice spikes were hitting 8.8k to 10.6k I put on a different staff with all stats and int, increasing my int to 828 (1.612 → 1.828 is 13% more) and ice spikes were critting 10k to 12k. This is what you would expect if 13% more skill damage from int was a 13% multiplier.

I also tested weapon damage and sure enough, a level 1 wand +focus and level 900 dagger+focus, both cast at range, showed no difference in ice spike damage.

Next I tested out the impact each glyph has on Ice Spikes one by one, still with no uniques, vampire powers, enchants, and other glyphs equipped. TLDR; every glyph i tested worked as expected. Edit; Winter glyph is bugged to be additive instead of mult, dont use it until it is fixed.

Control (+damage to crowd controlled enemies) works as expected.
Destruction (+crit damage glyph) works as expected.
Elementalist (5%x per element, 15%x at 3 stacks) works as expected.
Stalagmite (+ice spike damage) works as expected. I WOULD HOPE SO!
Tactician: (10%x 4 seconds after defensive) works as expected, 10% multipliers are tougher to test but if you mess with our damage so you hit 9.5ks and 10ks, then you put on the multiplier and you only see 10k+ you know.
Territorial: (+damage to close) works as expected.
Winter (5 stacks of 3% when you chill or freeze) works as expected. (Edit; winter glyph is bugged dont use it)

Flamefeeder (+damage to burning, 10%x direct damage to burning) and Exploit (+damage to vuln, 1%x when dealing damage to vuln, up to 10%x for 6 seconds) SEEM to work as expected but it will take a little time be more confident, ill have to set my vulnerable or burning damage to be the same with and without the glyph through gear and or paragon. I’m pretty sure they will also work as expected.

3 Likes

Good info; id assume it also benefits from permafrost accordingly. Did you see anything with cold damage and or/frost skill damage(gear affixes)?

This is so frustrating -.- Thanks for all the testing Lot! gotta go find a way to try get that Icefall node now, even tho I think I’d need at least 15 paragon points to reach it and I don’t have them lol but I already use the other cold one and it increases all vuln dmg(not just cold) by 20% rn, could get up to 30%, so I think I’ll stick to that.

I heard in a video that Winter glyph may be bugged, I will re-test it.
Edit; it seems Winter is bugged and is only adding 15 to the ‘damage wtih cold’ stat instead of multiplying damage you do with cold by 1.15. probably should avoid winter glyph for now.

1 Like

I have Icefall and Winter on my Paragon board for my Blizz Sorc. Whether they are working as intended or not, I am not sure. But so far I am clearing T100s easily while I have them. If they aren’t working as intended, that just means when it starts to work via hotfix or patch, I should see more benefits.

I was using it too in 100s, i used it instead of Reinforce. I switched to reinforced until it is fixed.