I quit: Sorc main, regret purchase. Half PSA, half letter

Since the launch of Diablo 4, I’ve sunk about 240 hours of game time. I’ve lived and breathed Diablo 4, and these are my thoughts of the state of the game at the moment.

This game is an unfinished product. Ngl, I bought this game as an impulse purchase on the 4th of June assuming that it’ll be a finished and polished game. This is my fault for not doing enough research. At the same, I feel misled because there was a period of testing prior to launch and so much hype, so in my naive mind, I thought that the release of the game would be a finished product.

And as a consumer, when I buy something, I expect it to be a complete product unless it is described otherwise. Apparently, this is not the case when it comes to games. It was my expectation that a triple A company would release a refined and completed product.

I am severely disappointed with my purchase, and at the same time, I am beating myself up over it. This is the result of myself not doing enough research on the game beforehand to make a more rational decision that could have saved myself from feeling this way.

I’d like to say that I am a victim of marketing. I only watched a few videos on youtube that were endorsed by Blizzard. At that time, I was busy with work.

Sure, more accurately, I am a victim of myself not taking the necessary steps of preventing this outcome, but that is not the point. If a product is described, then the product itself should be that. Otherwise, you are misleading your customers.

I have learned my lesson. Thank you for providing it Activision Blizzard. I want to understand your direction and what you want. From here on out, I will do my due research into everything about your company, your CEO’s, the departments, management hierarchy, about who is on your teams, credentials, company culture, etc etc, before I even think about reaching into my wallet and handing over cash to you. I do not want to self victimize myself again. More importantly, I do not want to waste time on a product I do not end up enjoying.

I like APRGs. I enjoy the grindy nature of the genre, and the repetitive gameplay loops, and the GG items that can potentially drop to fuel my build into something faster and stronger: a build that feels increasingly buttery smooth to play over time with correct decisions I invest within my control regarding the skill tree, item choice, affix enchanting, and in D4, the paragon board. But Diablo 4, in my experience is not enjoyable.

My POV is coming from the Sorc class. I have two chars: one is Iceshard and the other is Chain Lightning. Both are in Torment difficulty. Neither is at lvl 100. I really want to create a third alt for some version of a Fire sorc, but in the current state of the game, I really don’t. And here’s why:

Vulnerable damage.

The Iceshard build has a natural path towards capitalizing on vulnerable damage by investing 1 skill point. However, a lightning build or a fire build have very limiting and expensive options on accessing it:

Frost bolt makes Frozen enemies Vulnerable for 3 seconds

Frozen Orb’s explosions has a 25% chance to make all enemies hit Vulnerable for 2 seconds. Frozen Orb Always makes Frozen enemies Vulnerable

Frost Nova makes enemies vulnerable for 4 seconds, increased to 8 seconds against Bosses

Iceblades (6 secs), 30% chance to make enemy vulnerable for 2 seconds

Frostburns + Aspect of Biting Cold (When you freeze an enemy there x% chance they become vulnerable for x seconds

Simply put, in order to access a strong and currently, mandatory, damage multiplier, lightning and fire builds have to choose one of these options to apply vulnerable.

Item slots are expensive. Enchantment slots are expensive; we only have two, and these two builds are limited by how they can access and apply vulnerable.

I cannot reliably clear a mob pack with crit damage and CC alone in higher nightmare tiers as a Chain Lightning sorc. Even in nightmare tiers 2-4 levels above me, I have trouble clearing these without vulnerable status in a smooth way.

And this is with my build stacking as much crit damage as possible on item affixes; this is near 230% crit damage with 30% crit chance. With perfect item affixes, I’m estimating a ~260 - 280ish crit damage % cap on item affixes alone. Over 300% if I grind Destruction glyph to max and other paragon nodes. The glyph is currently sitting at 15 to access all the stat nodes I need to activate the secondary effect.

But I don’t feel like grinding it all the way to 21 based on the current state of the game to give me some marginal increases when I can increase Vulnerable dmg % to give me a similar damage outcome.

This is why I don’t want to play the game. It’s not because I don’t want to grind. It is because the amount of time I have to invest to grind does not result in something rewarding. My choices at the end are limited. And this is because of the way Diablo 4 was marketed.

Inside the Game: Your Class Your Way

So then, what is this? What is #playyourway?
Based on the current state of the game, this is false advertising. You cannot play your way. If you play your way, at some point, your build will hit a wall.

Personally, I want to rely just on Int + crit damage + cc to be able to smoothly delete packs of mobs. The fact that I have to apply vulnerable damage via frost nova or take up two item slots with Frostburns and Aspect of Biting Cold or any other convoluted way of applying vulnerable status - as a lightning sorc, this is a mystery to me.

Then there is the issue with item choice. Our current meta item is an amulet that gives

• 3 Devouring Blaze (increases Critical Strike Damage against burning enemies by 30%, 75% if immobilized)
  • 3 Defensive Skills
    Mana cost Reduction
    Cooldown Reduction

Any Sorc build that wants efficient damage, their path will eventually funnel into this limiting item choice path. And then consequently, we’re forced to take fire arrows to take up one enchantment slot.

Nah. There is no #playyourway. It’s #playthisway.

Activision Blizzard,

Please rework the skill tree or paragon so that every build can access vulnerable status in a meaningful and fluid way that makes sense or just remove vulnerable status entirely and simplify the damage formula.

Please separate PvE and PvP into two different systems and balance them individually. You cannot slap something on like a 92% damage reduction on PvP in a PvE game and say that’s PvP. You complicate the decision making process for skill balance and class creation by thinking about PvE and PvP at the same time. I am 99% sure this is one of the reasons why progress feels incrementally small and why cooldowns are so long.

More concisely, please focus on increasing the fun in PvE while focusing on balance in PvP.

Please, in the future, before any other game releases from your company, please do not release an unfinished product without describing it as an unfinished product.

And lastly, please keep your word.

I’ve said earlier that I will do more research before buying any more of your products in the future. This will keep true, and I will never forget this feeling of regret.

Prior to the Activision Blizzard merge, Blizzard was an amazing company, and I remember fondly playing amazing games.

With Diablo 3, Diablo IMMORAL (I WILL NEVER PAY MONEY FOR THIS), Diablo 4, Warcraft 3 Reforged, I have lost confidence in this company’s intention to stay in touch with the loyal community and to make games that appeal to them. It’s apparent that sales is more important than good, enjoyable, lasting games.

Keep the $130. It’s likely the last you’ll get from me.

• From a concerned and nostalgic customer
250 Likes

Bump. Because I’m a lightning/fire sorc in my level 60s, world tier 3, and just starting to notice how bad I am without vulnerable, unless I’m grouped up with an ice sorc.

So lame that I can’t actually play the lightning spec I wanted, I had to add fire, and now I realize I should have been ice this whole time, even though I hate ice.

43 Likes

Mind linking your stat sheet and paragon board? I also play chain lightning, I am a lvl85 sorc and am running NM dungeon 50s pretty easily, to the point I can’t tell the difference between it and normal dungeons.

Are all of your glyph bonuses active? Admittedly Sorc is indeed pigeon holed for its defenses and reliable damage (burning paragon board, triple defensive skill, nova+stun cc), but I can’t see any reason you’d be having issues with Nightmare tiers anywhere near your level with the right gear and pathing.

If you don’t care to set one up yourself, I’ll try and setup a profile on d4builds.gg to see if it is of any use to you. Good luck!

10 Likes

I think you raise a lot of really good points. I don’t blame you for being frustrated. From my perspective, the game is a great foundation for what will be an amazing game. But it’s 2 years from done, at least.

That said, given what I know now, would I have opted to keep it in the oven instead of release it a month ago? No, I’d still want it. At least the game will now get the best beta test it can get. Yes, it sucks this is the new model in triple A game development. But I think we will eventually have a very solid D4.

19 Likes

Apparently does not know about the glyph applying vuln.

Smh

3 Likes

lol delete your post before I make you feel dumb af

12 Likes

Sorc glyph doesn’t apply vulnerable it only amps the damage

12 Likes

I’m pretty burnt out. My issue is the lack of flexibility in build paths.

Though, I’m happy to hear that you are having success in your build and theorycraft! Please continue and improve the build to its best potential! <3

6 Likes

Understandable, I agree with the majority of your points fwiw! I don’t intend to play S1, I will probably take a break and come back for S2 and see where it’s at. I am going to need massive changes in every aspect of the game to want to level another character.

5 Likes

I hope you guys enjoy what is enjoyable in the game so far and that this game improves over time like good wine.

Let’s see how it goes!

4 Likes

Lightning should be leaning into the shock/stun/cooldown reset.
And if you want Vuln use Frost Nova, just one skill, you don’t need to be full Ice Sorc,

1 Like

Your whole post is brilliant and is just one of many examples of “Play your way” being completely and utterly false.

Also, like you, I’m peeved that no matter what kind of sorc you play, you end up enchanting a fire skill that’s not even on your bars just to apply burning. So lame. A frost sorc should be able to just use frost skills. Frozen orb and blizzard should be viable. They are not. You either barrage or chain lit or gtfo past level 40, and as you’ve outlined, even a pure lightning sorc has limitations.

PLAY YOUR WAY means any reasonable and educated combination of skills and aspects and gear SHOULD be viable all the way to end game.

But that’s far from the truth. As I’ve mentioned in another post, I think this is a deliberate choice. Why?

So they can introduce power spikes to specific skills/builds via special seasonal loot or new seasonal mechanics. They probably want to put us on a hamster wheel of starting over every 3 months with the “next new hot build” that’s insanely buffed by a specific unique item or god forbid, set bonus (think of how this worked in Diablo 3… barf).

28 Likes

Blizzard is very viable. Frozen orb is not good.

1 Like

55 Likes

Viable? News to me.
Is Blizzard the only damaging skill?

It cannot possibly be even close to barrage with piercing, and auto-firing at frozen enemies. Add in an aspect that spreads CC, and multiple screens (not just the one you’re on) go poof.

They really need to nerf vulnerability ASAP. It is destroying all build diversity.

9 Likes

I mean my current build for Frost Sorc is a lot of Blizzard. I am at lvl 62 though…maybe it falls off but right now it does not feel like it will, I have been running it since 54. And it is much stronger than my Ice Shards build alone, which is also very viable. And still available as a 2nd option.
I cleared all of fallen temple with it at lvl 61, except the capstone boss. I may have to resolve to arc lash/stun lock for him. :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t compare to barrage as I run TB and PS on my rogue.

But I can say it is very effective. I can make a video if you would like.

1 Like

I’m hoping to get something special for Blizzard from Blizzard soon… it’s becoming inadequate.

4 Likes

How do you put 240 hours into a $70 game and say that you are “severely disappointed with your purchase”. wtf lol

11 Likes

I will not oppose anything that makes it even stronger. :slight_smile: