Huge GPU Load when UI panels open

RTX 4090 - Max settings - Render scale 130% - Framerate locked to 120 in game & in Nvidia CP and Vsync On. GPU load idling at 70% in Kyovashad in stash room.

When I open my stash for example the load increases to 99%. GPU wattage increases by 80 Watts (from 330 to 410).

Closing the panel reduces the GPU load back down instantly.

It seems to have something to do with the 3d characters rendered in the UI (vendor / player character in inventory page)

1 Like

I’ve seen a few people post that the GPU load goes up, while using a vendor. I believe this may be a bug and you’ll have to wait for the next patch or 2.

1 Like

With a frame cap at 120fps I see an increase of 40Watt when opening the character panel or vendor. I think this is simply the added effort of rendering the preview of your character + equipment which is at a higher detail level than your in-game character.

Yeah, this has been going on since launch. Everyone will be seeing the same effect. But the taxing part of it, is the effect it has on VRAM. It will heat up your card, but really pushes the VRAM temps higher. And not all cards monitor the VRAM temps. If your card doesn’t, the next closest thing to watch is the hotspot. Its usually within +/- 5C of the memory temps, and typically the memory temps are higher than the hotspot.

HWMonitor seems to work at viewing those temps if your card has a temp monitor for VRAM.

It’s definately not unless the charactermodel has like a billion polygons :slight_smile:
My FPS drop from 130+ to below 60 when the vendor ui is open, it’s insane.
GPU load goes to 100%.
I’m playing with a 90 FPS cap atm and the powerdraw increases by about 100W with it open.

You do realize that these two things kinda contradict each other, right?

No they don’t if you read properly :smiley:
Uncapped i get 130+ at the vendor in town.

I mentioned the 90 FPS cap because it shows how much more power the GPU draws when opening the inventory.
Going from ~80W to ~180.

However, you didn’t say anything about running it uncapped:

Which I will point out, is not recommended anyway.

And this has been an issue since launch. I spent over a week looking into it nearly a month ago now.

Yes, it causes a spike in power, heat, and temps. Yet, opening the full screen map has the opposite effect as well.

So this isn’t a new issue. Its a prevalent, on-going issue at the moment.

The best things to do:

DISABLE Reflex and Peripheral Lighting.

Set an FPS cap to no higher than the monitor refresh. Or start at 60 and work up from there. I currently maintain a 150FPS cap for both foreground and background, which allows the system to stay at 144FPS which is my monitor’s native refresh. I typically set the cap a bit higher, but still run Vsync to control it further.

Lower settings to High.

Have the Bnet launcher exit when starting a game.

Make sure to close any other web browsers.

Everyone have this bug. Literally every person who are playing diablo 4. No exceptions. The more powerful your GPU is, the more effect you gonna see. Of course settings are a factor too (resolution, dlss and so on), so not all gonna “see” same results, but still.

If you are using 1060 with 120W tdp, going from ~60-70w during normal gameplay to ~110w when opening vendor is not a big deal.
Then person b using 3090 and he is going from ~150-200w to 400w just by opening vendor. This is big deal. Blizzard don’t give a damn, they are ignoring it for months now (not only since release, but open beta too).

Spam this thread to hell [Main Thread] Game Freezes/Crashes GPU fans screaming when opening specific UI Elements - June 2023 , spam twitter, spam technical support email. This is literally game breaking bug and they are silent.

1 Like

It doesn’t do anything for me and nothing to fix that “bug”.

What is not recommended?

Then why are we even arguing? :smiley:

Settings have nothing to do with that problem.
If i set everything to low and even set DLSS to ultra performance (which is something like 476P for 1440P native, kekw) my GPU still goes to 100% load when opening the vendor ui.

There is something fundamentally wrong with the way the game renders those characters in the ui, some endless loop or whatever.

There are so many technical problems with this game, a company like Blizz should be ashamed to release it in this state especially since people have reported this in the betas already.

Again, this might help with the VRAM usage but not with that particular problem i’m talking about here.

PS: i posted some screens in the german forum:
https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/de/d4/t/gpu-wird-beim-npc-zu-hei%C3%9F/4429/11

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.