How does Firewall enchant work?

The tooltip says that Firewall enchant allows burn damage a 5% chance to spawn two firewalls for 3 seconds. My burn Sorceress is running Flame Bolt, double Hydra (aspect) with the burn perk, Firewall, Meteor, and Flame Shield (and I have 4 points total in Fireball but that’s another story).

When I run Firewall enchant it almost never goes off. Even Meteor enchant happens more often, and that doesn’t proc off burn (it has to be direct damage). I have to spam Firewall manually to get good coverage with the spell.

edit: okay it looks like I’m not the only one struggling with it. Seems like only Firewall reliably procs it?

I use mainly Fire Wall and Incinerate and it procs quite often. Lay down a few fire walls, then hit everything with Incinerate. Everything on the screen is taking burning damage at the same time, every enemy has a 5% chance to proc Fire Wall enchant. More enemies burning at once = more chances to proc Fire Wall.

Smaller, faster fights will have fewer burn ticks, resulting in fewer procs. Meteor is a small AoE with a short burn. Hydra and Flame Bolt are mainly single target. Fire Wall will be the most likely to cause the most chances to proc.

What if you run incinerate alone? How often does that proc it?

Had to log in to check. The rate of proc depends heavily on how many enemies I can hit with the narrow beam. 1-2 enemies is unlikely to proc Fire Walls. If I can get 5+, I’ll likely get 1-2 procs.

Interesting. Firebolt and Hydra proc it about 0% of the time, even with dual Hydra and hitting multiple targets with Firebolt for tons of simultaneous burn effects.

Remember that Firebolt can penetrate burning targets.

I’m definitely seeing it on my Firewall Sorc, but with all the visual effects going on all the time it’s hard to tell exactly how often. 5% isn’t much, though.

I relogged in my Fire Sorc (level 50, WT2, just finished the capstone) to do some casual testing with all my spells (sans Fireball) in various configurations. Here are my general findings:

Firebolt alone can proc it. One standard pack of about 10 ghouls/other assorted nonsense outside Kyovashad lead to about two procs, though one of those might have been from the ghouls wandering into the spawned Firewalls (it’s hard to correct for that). Note that this was with the Firewall enchant only. Adding the Firebolt enchant produced results that were inconclusive. Maybe it was a little more likely to proc Firewall enchant? I couldn’t tell. But I was getting a secondary burn effect from the Firebolt enchant when using Firebolt exclusively.

Firewall procced it reliably, with and without the Firebolt enchant. Firewall alone even procced Meteor enchant a few times which was . . . surprising. I’ll have to look into that later. Don’t want to draw too many conclusions from casual testing.

Hydra alone would not proc it. Ever. I think I got one proc with it but it was overall very frustrating to watch my Hydras inflicting so much burn damage only for Firewall never to pop up. With Firebolt enchant, however, I did occasionally get a Firewall proc. It seemed less common than with Firebolt, but that could have something to do with the Hydras wiping out enemies too quickly for the burn damage to run its course. In any case, if you run Hydra and you want Firewall enchant to proc, Firebolt enchant is the only way I can find to make it work. Which stinks since if you want an extra Hydra every now and then from Hydra enchant, well guess what? You’re stuck.

Meteor did not proc either, that I could tell, unless using Firebolt enchant. Then it could proc Firewall pretty easily. Sadly if you like Meteor enchant, you will be frustrated if you try to mix it with Firewall enchant.

Why is this happening? I’m not 100% sure. It seems like 3s burn effects like Meteor and Hydra do not want to trigger Firewall much, if at all. 8s burn effects from Firebolt, Firewall, and Firebolt enchant can do it, no problem. I should also point out that the two 3s Firewalls that come from Firewall enchant procs do not seem to proc Firewall enchant further. Or at least I did not observe this happening.

1 Like

I’m not sure what changes have been made since this post, but I’m running a Pyro sorc with focus on burning damage and this procs quite often. It seems any “burning” damage (not fire damage, but the dot) has a 5% per tick to proc. Even my incinerate enchantment spawn procs firewalls frequently. During big mob fights, my entire screen can become filled up with firewalls.