Graphics card fan intermittently at full speed for a few seconds

For whatever reason the game is causing my graphics card fan to go maximum speed for a few seconds. It then spins down to normal but a few seconds later it goes back to full. It’s not happening all the time but just at random. It seems to happen the most during cutscenes but occurs anywhere including character creation screen, the overworld, in caves, etc. I’ve played around with the graphics settings a bunch and nothing is fixing it. I’ve played very little of the game because I’m afraid it’s going to damage my graphics card or something else too. This doesn’t occur in any other game I play. I’ve ended up uninstalling till this gets fixed.

My PC Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-9700
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 driver version 535.98
HDD: NVME Samsung 1 TB
RAM: Corsair 3000mhz 16 GB
Monitor: Asus 24" 1080p 144hz
Windows 10 version 22H2

2 Likes

My computer fans are doing the same thing - they spin up loudly, then settle down. It happens a lot while I am playing.

Just happened to me on the latest Nvidia drivers. Was not doing it until I updated.

That’s perfectly normal for the fans to ramp up & then slow down again if the components on the card are getting hot due to usage. If you want to lessen the chance of it doing so, you will need to drop some settings down to put less load on the GPU or system. I would be more concerned if the fans were not ramping up under heavy load as that would say there is an issue with the thermal monitoring of the card. Try disabling Reflex, DLSS & capping foreground frames to roughly half of your monitor refresh rate (75fps say) & see if that slows down the ramping up. Also run some monitoring software (like HWINFO) & keep any eye on the log files especially if the machines crashes etc.

The Geforce Game Ready Driver 535.98 WHQL is designed to run Diablo IV without issues like GPU burn or crash.

So I don’t think you’re going to have that problem.
Only worry if your fans work at maximum for a long time.

If the fans sound very loud for you, you can run Geforce Experience settings in order to change some settings like fan speed, graphic qualities and other stuff.

I hope this information helps you.

Same here, only noticed the last few days though and it is mostly when in the loading in screen/menu and when I look at inventory.

RTX 2080 NVIDIA

I have got the same issue with my Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC 12 GB and i use the latest driver 535.98 WHQL.
Only when i play Diablo 4 the fans of the graphics card spin randomly up for 1-2 seconds at highest speed and go down to normal operation about 1400 rpm. There is no more or less gpu load in that case (i checked this via gpu-z).

In other games i have got no issues like that.
Please investigate that case with nvidia.

Regards

1 Like

I was having this issue with my 2070 Super as well. Only in D4, mostly in menus, no other games. No increased gpu temp or anything when it triggered.

I was able to resolve it by using MSI Afterburner to make a custom fan speed curve.

This is caused by your GPU fan curve, you can change it with 3rd party software. Reason it happen is because the game taxes your GPU a lot which result in high temperatures.

use geforce experiance and put the card to 70%. its usual if your running uncapped fps. just keep an eye on temps

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.