Gold seller spam - are reports worth it?

I am a Diablo player in Europe and cant remember seeing any gold seller in trade chat before Season 4. But its very noticable now and it is getting worth every day. At 6:00 in the morning we get one text block of advertising every single minute. To be clear, I hate how those spammers take over the trade channel.

At this rate I wonder if it is expected that players keep reporting the chat because the time you have to spend for this feels not worth it and the outcome is likely that other seller will replace the banned ones.

I assume it is not in the developers interest that everyone just turn off trade chat and stop reports. Then jump into discord channels or websites to break some enduser agreement rules. Trading restrictions are there for a reason. What we have now motivates players to risk their account. It motivates gold sellers to spam the game. It moves Diablo 4 into pay to win territory.

And no, this is nothing that should be solved with another ingame auction house. This issue came to life because trading legendary and unique items was enabled along with some new systems. That is why gold sellers are having a good time right now.
Btw if you are interested, a few days ago I made a post about allowing trade exclusively with guild members: Suggestion! --- limit trade to guild members only

I hope this gets some visibility and is addressed by the devs. Because I dont see others and myself do much reporting going forward if there is no light at the end.

3 Likes

If you allow player to player trading then gold sellers will come.

Especially during this season where people need so much gold constantly

how do you turn off trade chat?

Yes. Reporting goldsellers ist the new endgame activity.

1 Like

Soon we get +1 temper roll for each unique goldseller we report.

1 Like

It’s worth it since Blizz act on it very quickly (in minutes). It’s also good for Blizz since the sellers will need to keep buying their game.

Hence I suggested that Blizz should make it easier for players to report gold sellers.

Go to Game Options. Under Connection (Social) you will find some chat settings, including the ability to turn off local or trade chat.

What I can definitely see in Diablo 4 is that gold sellers seem to be more active at night, as fewer players mean fewer reports.

But coming from WoW, I also remember that bots are online long enough to be profitable. So they come back in a never ending cycle.

just wait till blizzard starts doing what ags/smilegate did to lost ark, started banning real players and taking gold sources away from us instead of banning the bots, its a money grab game, and yes game companys do run bot farms.

“are reports worth it?”

Nope.

Definitely, since buying D4s maybe a dozen times a day is peanuts for them.

But if players can report them just by one click away, that will at least slow their spam since buying a game, creating an account, creating a character, then post a message takes much more time than them getting banned which takes only a couple of minutes.

The problem is that the text still stays in chat, so the damage is already done.
What they need to do is implement something that removes the text already sent in chat once a spammer is banned. That will reduce the effectiveness of their spam, as they are being banned very fast based on reporting from players.

Also, they could implement some AI that monitors for these spam messages to auto-ban. This would not be too difficult to train to target the correct messages vs legitimate speech from players, as the formats they use are very specific to avoid filters.

1 Like