Gohr's Fluffy Grips

I’ve said it before and now again. Would it be so bad for a rework on the Gohr’s Devastating Grips?
For those who don’t know Gohr’s Devastating Grips unique affect is:

Whirlwind explodes every 2 seconds and after it ends, dealing 26% of the BASE damage dealt to surrounding enemies as Fire damage.

The issues are the “as Fire damage” and the “Base Damage” and to a lesser degree the explodes every 2 seconds.

Now for a bit of context, let’s clear up the 2nd second issue first since its the quickest explaination and the reason why its a lesser issue. That being, the Dire Whirlwind aspect and the Violent Whirlwind passive don’t affect the explosion. Normally this wouldn’t be an issue but its every 2 seconds and both of these thigns require 3 seconds. BUT Neither matter due to the primary 2 issues.

Fire damage… We have what… All damage from Grandfather, Doombringer, and Tibults. And we have Non-physical damage from Azzurewrath.
What are the issue here for this in particular? Well no one should be running Azzurewrath in the build since its unique effect is a lucky hit effect with a stupidly low chance on a chance to proc AND deals really low damage. Furthermore attack speed does nothing for Whirlwind. Now for Grandfather and Doombringer. Well they are Uber Uniques. Thankfully Duriel at least made them somewhat obtainable… eventually.

BUT even then it brings us to the primary issue of the Gohr’s Fluffy Grips. It deals 26% of the “BASE” damage dealt.

Not a crit, no bleeds, and as far as I can really tell, I don’t even think the things I listed above for the All Damage and the Non-physical damage even affect it.

Base damage dealt. Whirlwinds “Base Damage” is abysmal. If you use Whirlwind with a two handed weapon you get to hit an enemy one time a second. So with one enemy around you, you get to hit them twice before the Gohr’s Fluffy Grips Unique triggers. If you use dual wielding you will the enemy four times. BUT the damage is still 26% of Base damage, and Dual Wielding is designed to be less than your two handed weapon by default so did it matter for the overall damage in this case… nope.

Dual Wielding vs Two Handed though an important distinction worth mentioning it has no effect on the unique. Unless if you’re using Ramaladni’s Magnum Opus then the dual wielding weapons does more dama… oh wait it’s 26% of base damage.

CONGRATULATIONS, if you read this far.

TLDR: The Gohr’s Fluffy Grips Unique is base damage. THAT’S the problem. Mob density isn’t remotely high enough for it to have any difference.

So can we rework it so it has some form of actual functionality? The absolute easiest change would be to remove the “BASE DAMAGE” portion, other than that though, maybe every two seconds it takes the damage you dealt with whirlwind and triggers both an Overpower and a crit on that collective damage. I think thats the easiest and less programing intensive change that could be done instead of a full rework.
But if we WERE to rework it. Could we have somethign like the Wastes set in Diablo 3? Already have rend triggering on Brawler skills from the Ring of Ravenous. Waiting to see ANYONE making that even remotely effective but how about something along the lines of:
Whirlwind triggers 2 stacks of Rend every second, refreshing rends duration every hit. After 3 seconds all Rend stacks from enemies within X meters are absorbed and detonated outward to surrounding enemies. This effect is a guaranteed Overpower.

Still horrible for bosses unless it spawns adds but it gives us a power fantasy for being a whirling ball of bloody death. AND more importantly, gives Whirlwind a chance to have a singular proc of overpower. Because I hear the devs think allowing channeling skills to overpower is a terrible idea due to how powerful it would be. And I agree, IF it were a constant Overpower. Yes, that would be broken. Just don’t make it every hit is an overpower. You can’t snapshot overpower on this rework of mine unless you seriously did something weird with the code. Not sure why this hasn’t been made yet for channeling skills.

Anyway if anyone actually read this novel please, by all means, rework our Gohr’s Fluffy Grips and post your own take. I for one am interested in other ideas.

Nobody needs the gloves anymore because they are very bad. They need to be reworked to make them useful and strong again.

1 Like

If you can stack up tons of multiplier to the Base damage, then the gloves are dependable. But who does that? Crit and Vul are the best multipliers.

Edit: I can’t believe you would straight out lie whirlwind isn’t affect by attack speed. Pick up Artillery shrine to find out for yourself.

just a matter of time before whirlwind becomes a thing. some day blizz might catch on to the fad. :smiley:

Gohr’s Devastating Grips

+Ranks of Whirlwind
+Critical Strike Chance to Close Enemies
+Lucky Hit
+Strength

• Weapon Mastery Abilities can be cast while Channeling Whirlwind. When cast, these skills do not stop channeling Whirlwind.

General Patch Notes

• Defensive Abilities (Ground Stomp and Iron Skin), Shouts (Rallying Cry, Challenging Shout, War Cry), Call of the Ancients, and Wrath of The Berserker can now be cast while Channeling Whirlwind. These abilities do not stop channeling.

New Unique Item

Skullcrusher
2H Bludgeoning Weapon

+Damage While Berserking
+Strength
+Critical Strike Chance
+Lucky Hit

• Lucky Hit: Whenever you Critically Strike an enemy while Channeling Whirlwind, there is a 40% chance to gain Blood Lust for 5 seconds increasing your damage by [x30-x40%] and reducing damage by [20%-25%]. While Blood Lust is active, you are Unstoppable.

• This item rolls with higher Affixes than normal.

? Never said Attack speed affects Whirlwind. I would very much like it to do so since it doesn’t. If attack speed were able to have an effect on Whirlwind other than the attack speed bonus from one handed weapons vs two handed, the skill would be vastly more viable.

Whirlwind does not need to benefit from Attack Speed. What it does need is the ability to use Defensive Skills, Shouts, CoTA, and WoTB while Channeling. That alone would make the gameplay far more dynamic as Whirlwind and be a huge boon.

I would add to that I think Gohr’s needs to be changed so that it allows Weapon Mastery abilities to be used while channeling as well. This would mean you could weave DB, Rupture, and/or Steel Grasp in with WW.

• Rupture would allow a Bleed/WW build to work well.
  • DB would be a significant damage increase and a way to generate Fury or sustain Berserking.
  • Steel Grasp is made for Whirlwind. It replaces janky Grasping Whirlwind and opens up Ancient’s Oath to be great.

You could take any combination or all of these for a very powerful WW build. Investing in Weapon Mastery to have Core Skills make enemies Vulnerable after a WM ability is used helps tremendously with Vulnerable application to sustain that damage bucket.

Although WW cannot Overpower, all 3 of the WM Skills can. Rupture providing guaranteed OPs and a source of healing (since Attack Speed does not matter) would make for very fun Gushing Wounds WW Bleed Build. WW naturally wants and has high Critical Strike Chance and Crit Damage making it synergize exceptionally well with GW.

I’m am surprisingly down for that. I literally have never used the Weapon Mastery skills except when I made a very niche build for AoZ. Another bonus you didn’t mention is that Fields of Crimson greatsword can ACTUALLY be used for the first time EVER. Best part, it would actually work. Steel Grasp would be neat as well, its usually stupidly dangerous to pull enemies into you but hey with that 50% damage bonus from Ancient oath, it could be fine. As for Deathblow… Executions on the move would be interesting.

Im trying these with ww nado. Seems ok? Can’t tell they do anything but the stats are nice.

Oh for sure, it would make Bleed WW with Fields of Crimson and Gushing Wounds very good throwing out Ruptures. This basically recreates the S2 Blood Power of Bathe in Blood that creates pools to give you DR and Damage Bonus.

maybe we should create another topic in the ptr feedback section so the developer can track this

We could. They did “Buff” Gohrs. Though I definitely dont feel it if they did in the PTR. All they need to do is remove that aggravating “BASE” word in base damage, and it would be fine. That is if they feel the immense desire to not do anything with it, and just want to do the usual shift numbers around. Well it’s a tiny bit more involved but you get the drift.