Gifting platinum?

My friend and I have been playing D4 together, since I got upgrades for my computer a few weeks ago. His birthday is coming up and I wanted to gift him some platinum, so he can buy himself whatever cosmetics he wants. I can’t seem to find a way to gift platinum though, so is it not possible to do so?

Would it be possible to gift him one of the cosmetics in the in-game store? I don’t really want to do that though. I would rather him pick something out for himself but still be surprised that I got him something. I kind of wanted this to be a secret, so I don’t want him to have to tell me what to get.

Would it be easier to gift him balance? Then he can buy the platinum himself and then buy the cosmetic he wants. That seems needlessly complicated though and I’m worried that he won’t bother doing all of that and instead just tell me I didn’t need to get him something.

Can anyone help? He has been incredibly generous to me and I want to repay the kindness. :smiley:

Yes, that is how you would have to handle it I think. There are quite a few restrictions on that so read carefully.

Yeah, wow. This is really lame.

I can’t gift platinum to my friend, so I was going to gift him balance, so he could buy the platinum, but you can’t send your balance to someone else. I’d have to buy new balance and gift it to him. Why though?

I can’t really get him anything. :frowning_face:

It has to do with anti-fraud protections but I don’t know the details of the scams that resulted in it.

Possibly because WoW gold can be converted into Bnet Balance via tokens, and the old D3 RMAH allowed creation of Balance based off digital assets as well. Neither of which are real money. Add in botters, account compromises, etc… it might be complicated.

They require a real money transaction in the form of Balance purchase on a valid payment method before sending it to someone else. If something goes wrong with the payment then it is a simple matter to just rescind that one transaction and digital reward. They don’t have to trace back through the source of the currency.

1 Like

I think you can give them a gift card. In principle it accomplishes the same thing unless they spend it on something else lol.

2 Likes

If it can’t be gifted why does Platinum even need to exist if everything can be purchased with blizzard bucks and blizzard bucks can be gifted. Smells kind of sus to me.

Give him cash. Everybody likes cash.

1 Like

For the sake of authenticity.

If you play Diablo, you wouldn’t want premium currency be called the same thing as it is called in Overwatch, it would break the immersion.

You can earn some of it in game I think as part of Seasons. For gifting they want anything gifted tied directly to real life money. You can’t gift Bnet balance earned via in-game methods either. Has to be a fresh shiny purchase. They already have that set up for gifted Battlenet bucks.

That is my guess at it anyway.

Making a currency for cosmetics was just a dumb move then complacating gifting in game cosmetics is the worst disply of costumer service I have ever seen I was going to do a give away for the one bundle but the headache of having to figure out cost after tax/exchange in someone elses country isn’t worth it.

I like it so much that I use it on food and save store cosmetics for gold-bought tokens that only took 4 days to save up for. :sweat_smile:

Not that anyone probably cares, but I ended up buying him a mount for WoW, since I couldn’t get him literally anything for D4. Kind of stupid, honestly. Even if I could just buy a cosmetic and trade it to him in-game would make more sense than having literally no other options.

Not sure that’s true I don’t care for people getting me gifts in genreal but if someone is going to I would much rather a thoughtful gift then money I can earn my self.