Game very laggy on new laptop

I just bought a new laptop and I’m experiencing noticeably more lags than before on my older PC. Examples include:

1. I go to a vendor and right click to sell an item, nothing happens until 1 second or so then the item is sold
  2. I cast my spells, nothing happens, and then after a couple seconds all monsters died

I’ve seen latency spikes of up to 400+ milliseconds. This never occurred on my old laptop in 6+ months of playing. I’m connected to the same Wifi network as my old computer. Here are the specs of my new computer:

Model: Asus TUF Gaming A15
AMD Ryzen 9 7940HS w/ Radeon 780M Graphics 4.00 GHz
16.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070
Windows 11 Home 23H2

I’ve tried the following but nothing worked:

1. reset modem/router
  2. close all unecessary background apps when playing
  3. Flush DNS cache and reset network configuration
  4. re-install the game
  5. disable Norton anti-virus/firewall

I’m not considering to try an ethernet cable because my room is far from where the router is and I don’t want to extend a long wire between them. Also I had no problems in my old device so I know it’s possible to get the Wifi working.

You should absolutely try an ethernet cable simply as a test. If it fixes the issue, you then know exactly what the problem is and where to look in more detail, which could be your laptops network drivers or the wifi hardware inside of it.

Try an ethernet cable and let us know if it makes a difference.

Ok I just tried an ethernet cable, and there was absolutely no lag when I played! Latency stayed constant at ~50-80 msec and never went above 100. How can I tell at this point whether it’s a hardware issue with the wifi adapter or a wifi network configuration issue that my ISP can fix?

If you have an android phone, you can download an app called “wifi analyzer,” I used to use that for work to get an idea of wifi signal strength in specific locations within a home.

Other thing you can kind of do but might not be as reliable, is go to speedtest . net and run a speedtest there a few times to see if speeds and latency are consistent or whether they’re varying and going all over the place.

At the end of the day, you said your previous system was fine, so that likely points to your laptop being the culprit. You could see if there are any updated network/wifi drivers on the manufacturer’s website.

If you’re far away from your router/modem, there might not be much you can do without spending money on a standalone wifi adapter (which might be better than what’s in your laptop) or getting a better router, powerline kit, or wifi mesh setup, to give better signal strength in your room.

Start with the easy stuff like wifi analyzer and speedtest and go from there.

I’ve actually done Speedtest a few times and it was quite good actually (consistent speeds of 130 mbps+ with 13 ms latency with my 5G wifi network). Signal strength is actually showing full bars on my laptop too.

I’m using an iphone actually and downloaded wifi analyzer. All I can see is speedtest and basic info about my wifi like IP addresses. What tests can I run in there?

Ah, I don’t think wifi analyzer properly works for iphones. It didn’t when I used to use it which was 3+ years ago. I could be wrong but that was the case back then.

Ok I just returned my new laptop and got a new one, and all problems are gone! Confirmed it’s the bad wifi adapter that’s causing the issues.