Game crashes on startup

I seem to have this same issue, I’ve tried reinstalling the game client twice, battle.net launcher once, and reinstalled my nVidia drivers as well. Trying to run in administrator mode and the game just freezes as soon as the Diablo word appears after launching.

1 Like

I was able to fix this by doing 2 things.

1. I am using windows 11 and had to disable memory integrity under core isolation in Windows security.
  2. Had to run battle net as administrator.

Had to do both or would just get the grey screen or stop on the Diablo start screen and never go past. I tested this a couple of time and that seems to be a good fix. At least for me.

3 Likes

Same as many. I click play and then the game becomes unresponsive with a grey screen. Usually right after the word Diablo appears. Haven’t mad it past that yet.

2 Likes

These steps fixed it for me as well. Had to do both.

In order:

1. DisableChromaEffects “1” (didn’t work)
  2. Run Battle.net and Diablo IV as Admins (didn’t Work)
  3. Disable Windows 11 “memory Integrity” (didn’t work)

Last beta works like a charm, try to delete all, reinstall, repair, sing a song, give some chocolate…

Nothing stuck on DIABLO logo at start and game crash without any error message, last in debug is:

[Game] ptCutscene->m_eCutsceneState: PLAYBACK

How you think to do the stress test if 50% of the player have this problem at lunch?

2 Likes

I got mine working. The hint was in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo IV - Server Slam

fenringdebug

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

That led me to going to Intel, who makes the on-board graphics for my machine and downloading the latest drivers.

Getting the same problem here. Tried the same methods you mentioned, but it is freezing in the same spot. Each log has the same last entry: ptCutscene->m_eCutsceneState: PLAYBACK.

Both beta weekends worked fine. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times, but nothing has helped.

1 Like

I was able to get on earlier, however now the game locks up at the loading screen. I have done the run as admin and core memory off which got me to the loading screen. Restarted the game and now its stuck back on the blank screen prior to the D4 screen. At this rate its going to be a miracle to even reach 25 let alone kill Ashava.
UPDATE: This issue continues. After trying every suggested work-around I eventually just kept my task manager up and closed the process each time it locked up. This is something new that was not in either Beta. I am hoping this won’t be an issue when it goes live. I am curious if its an AMD only issue since that’s what I am currently using. I always bought Intel until this machine but this is the first time I have had an issue like this.

1 Like

So I was able to get the game to launch. In between the last beta weekend and now, I installed a new m.2 SSD drive into my laptop. I installed D4 on there and wasn’t able to get it to launch. On a hunch I uninstalled and reinstalled on my local drive. For some reason, that seemed to fix it. So if anyone having issues has D4 installed on a secondary drive, perhaps try on the local drive. Not sure why that would be the cause, but it was. I’ll have to check the new drive (I have other games on it), maybe a permissions issue?

Grey screen on launch, sometimes to make it to black screen that says Diablo 4. Looks like a second process opens and gets closed for a second. I dont have the Core option in my Device Security. Tried repairing, reinstalling completely. Nvidia drivers up to date. Only using Windows Defender as AV and I allowed both Battlenet and Diablo 4 folders.

I have the same issue… I hit play, I get a grey screen and then it crashes with … 49A6EB52-D165-4426-8ED8-3A1E895CD967

Same here, gray screen crash, once in a while i get to the Diablo screen then crash and burn. I have uninstalled, tried to open as admin, same every time. Played both betas fine.

2 Likes

The game hanging direct after the start :sob:

same thing for me, just a grey screen. Occasionally i get to the logo but no further.

1 Like

Same issue here. Locks up on the diablo 4 loading screen. I have tried all the listed solutions and none of them work for me.

Amd ryzen 7 5800X
Nvidia geforce rtx 3080
Win 11

bummer, i had it working once and then it crashed at level 6 and now its back to a grey screen… rip. i7 9750, 512 SSD, rtx 2060, everything is up to date and tried every repair suggested here. I spent the 100 bucks, just gimme the beta spoils at launch. I could be at 20 with the 4 hours I have spent trying to launch the game. Update*** I updated razer software (it always runs in the background whether it’s launched or not)works every time now… I don’t even use a razer anymore but this did the trick

2 Likes

“Trying out the server slam and I get to the character creation screen and the game crashes.”

Same, tried all the different fixes in this thread and was not able to fix.
8B87E253-DBD8-4AF6-BF4E-CD8A40A736E9

For anyone with a Crucial SSD, disable Momentum Cache worked for me.

1 Like

I got this during one of my freezes/crashes too.

I got grey screen, try uninstall the high quality graphic pack which is in the modify install setting and it worked. Now im on cinematic cutscene. Hope everythings fine

1 Like