Game crashes on startup

This has been frustrating trying to get this working yesterday and today. There seem to be a few different issues rolled into one here, but my game freezes at the Diablo logo. The orange “IV” behind the logo does not get drawn, if that give an indication of where it is crashing.

I was able to log in exactly once today, but dozens of other attempts have all crashed. Thankfully I have an Xbox so I was able to get some play time in and get my Ashava kill.

Really hoping this gets fixed before launch, since I preordered on PC and don’t want to buy it twice.

go to settings, gaming, turn off game mode and xbox game bar, game starts now :expressionless: hope works for others as well

Also freezing out here after trying the different advice/tips listed on this thread. Sometimes I get stuck on the grey screen, usually on the Diablo IV (r) screen, and every once in a while it’ll get my hopes up by getting to the “Logging into Diablo IV” (cancel or exit) screen and it’ll freeze there. :frowning:

So stupid, ug. And weird - I played for about 3 hours last night without a single freeze, crash or bug.

I got to L16 last night and went to bed because it had been a rough work week, but I should’ve pushed through to L20…I won’t have time to play at all on Sunday due to Mother’s Day. Sigh.

For reference - I had it installed on an Intel 760p NVMe SSD, drive D: (where all of my battle.net games are located), crashes without cease, after trying all the workarounds posted above my first post in this thread (reinstall, edit preference file in the documents directory, all of it did no good). Moved it to my WD SN730 SSD, drive C:, and I still intermittently crash, but have also logged a LOT of time playing today with that setup. So at least not all WD drives? /sigh

I had same issue , after did these settings , started game.
[x]Did [ ]Not
I think installing to another device had a effect.

• [x] Restart PC (many times throughout the other steps below)
  • [x] Scan and Repair Diablo 4 (no issues found)
  • [x] Modify install and turn off high res assets
  • [x] Disable Nvidia geforce overlay
  • [ ] Uninstall Nvidia geforce
    (Stop Nvidia Experirnce)
  • [ ] Ensure no Razer software installed
    (Stop Razer software)
  • [x] Uninstall and Reinstall Diablo 4
    (Reinstalled another deviice USB SSD Drive)
  • [ ] Use task manager to kill unneeded services (xbox gaming services, logitech overlay, logitech hub, many others)
  • [ ] changed 3 settings in “LocalPrefs.txt” I changed Safemode “0” to “1”, DisableChromaEffects “0” to “1” and SkipIntroMovie “0” to “1”
    (Not changed these settings)
  • [ ] Turned off Discord overlay
    (Not installed Discord)
  • [ ] Added -quicktest to game command line arguments
  • [ ] Turn off windows defender, firewall, and any other malicious file protection toggle
    (Not defender available)
  • [x] Start battle.net as admin

Same issue game won’t launch. Tryed every tips i could.
I played the 2 last betas without any problems, played this one several hours, had a crash charging a new map and now the game dont want hear anything. I cant launch it again.

Great, lemme just quickly buy another SSD just for D4 /s

1 Like

Same probleme,
Game crashes on startup (gray screen) or Game crashes after the logo “Diablo” appears (and the intro sound plays).
Didn’t have these problems on last to betas.
System: I5-11400F, 16GB Ram, 3060TI, SSD SN850X
Tried with the scan and repair, but no problems were found. All drivers are up to date. Tried restarting PC.
The only thing that worked was closing and restarting game, and after 7-10 tries it usualy works.

So no admin or blizzard rep has bothered to address this issue when so many have not been able to play at all. Not good.

your the 4th person including myself that cant play it on the SN850x… I downloaded new firmware and still wont run.

woah the game crashes like no one business…either grey screen or stuck at the Diablo IV logo screen. I have no problem on previous betas as well.

Intel i7
Window 11
AMD Radeon 620

Guess server slam isn’t working for me, sigh!

Not further than trying to login .
I tried all the hints, uninstall, reinstall different versions of drivers, also the pref changes, nothing helped. The game randomly starts with grey screen, maybe Diablo Titel, but for sure crashes at login.
I played both previous Beta without any trouble at all and ordered the game. What if the final version in July will give me the same headache?

I can’t open the game either, crashes at D4 logo. 3080 here. It let me in once but haven’t been able to play all weekend. I tried all recommended fixes here and nothing has worked.

I’m getting crashes at launch too. I played fine on Friday. Now when I try to log in my screen goes black and I hear coil whine. System is locked and I have to power off to start.

This happens sometime after I see the D4 logo. Sometimes I can briefly see the character select. Other times I don’t get through the login window. I suspect that the game is running at full GPU and CPU and for some reason that locks me up.

CPU AMD 7900x
GPU AMD 7900xtx

Up

Same problem here
Intel core i9, Nvidia 3080 Ti, 32Gb RAM, 2To NVMe
edit localprefs.txt, etc… etc…

Can we have an answer before official launch ?
All working fine during first beta.

Same issue here all weekend as well. Grey screen then crash, Diablo with no IV then crash. Sometimes audio would continue, sometimes not. Tried all the config options like disabling HDR, Chroma, etc. Would randomly work on roughly 1 in every 20 loads, so just kept doing that until I got in. Once in the game was mostly stable (1 crash going into celler, 1 on character login, but mostly good). Seemed to be something related to going fullscreen. When I had popups (auto HDR enabled, Allow Firewall settings, etc) it would consistently crash, and when it crashed in general it would seem like the window did not have focus and clicking it would enable it but then it would crash.

System:
Windows 11
AMD 7800X3D
64GB Ram @ 6000Mhz
Nvidia RTX 4090
Alienware AW3423DWF

Coming back to this - crashes started happening again but much less frequently so the fixes I applied helped reduce but not fully mitigate.

Something is really wrong with the code.* I was able to get the game to run 3 times (and enjoyed my time when I played), but I had crashing on startup 2-3 dozen times before and after those two successes. I had one crash mid-game while loading what I think was a cutscene that was skipped.

*I say this because I’ve tried almost every fix discussed or rumored, and nothing worked reliably. Either there are multiple small bugs that mysteriously combine to crash, or there’s a different code misconfiguration–probably something network/online-related–that isn’t related to any of the discussed & rumored fixes. I’m betting on the latter.

I guess it’s a compatibility issue between NVMe M.2 and the latest technology dstorage.dll

Same here… my setup might be a bit special though:

Steam Deck with Windows 11 a 512GB M.2

Hopefully no such threads will be opened at lauch… otherwise I obviously can’t buy it :confused:

1 Like