Greetings.

This is not a troll post. If you enjoy Diablo 4, thats great. Im happy on your behalf and I geniunely envy you.

Backstory:
Im 32, and ive been a hardcore diablo fan (and arpg fan) since i was an early teenager. I got thousands of hours between diablo 2, diablo 3 and resurrected. I also played PoE for hundreds of hours. I sustained a strain injury playing New World, and Diablo 4 was my motivator to get rid of it so i could play Diablo 4. Thats how excited i was. Blizzard definately seemed to care about Diablo 4, and return to the root of dark and bleak.

Important note: I love the slower gameplay compared to diablo 3 and PoE.

Campaign:
I personally loved the campaign. Returning characters and monsters was exciting. The story telling was in my opinion the best of any diablo games. The cinematics put me on the edge of my seat. Absolutely fantastic to watch. I very much enjoyed the campaign.

Leveling:
While playing the campaign, I realised i never felt a great sense of progression. Skills looked alright, though a bit minimalistic. But the same skills was used from start to finish. Not like starting with weaker skills, working up to bigger more badass skills. I played druid, but an example would have been starting out with a fireball, and later unlocking a big explosive fireorb. Skill progression felt weak, and leveling up never made me excited.

Furthermore, i never felt i got any stronger because enemies improved along with me due to scaling. Again, progressing felt dull. That is a big problem in an arpg. Progressing and feeling stronger is important.

Gear progressing:
Gear has such low values and odd, situational effects, that getting new gear, never made me excited. 3% damage increase if if if if. I mean come on. I love the phasing of the game is slower and we dont have insane power creep. I dont want 50 or 100% more dmg values. But the insanely situational low value stats and passives makes progression feel weak and unrewarding.

Maybe you think the destination is what is important? All those low values and situational effects all add up to a certain build? Well, i think the journey is more important. Grinding and progressing is what you will do for hundreds of hours. If you dont feel that what you do matters, it will feel tedius and you wont want to keep doing it. No matter the destination.

My conclussion:
After campaign and maybe 10hours on nightmare, I was bored. Actually i was bored long before that, but i refused to acknowledge it. I didnt want to believe it. How is that possible in a brand new arpg? The game usually starts when the story is done?!

Unfortunately, Im not alone in this. I see too many people say they burned out already. Which makes me incredibly sad. I wanted to play diablo 4 for hundreds of hours. But i cant even get myself to work towards 30 hours.

Bonus rant: what the hell is up with the incredibly small sorc skill effects? Ive never seen such small fireballs and meteors in an arpg. Light up the screen a bit. Give us some visuals.

I know not everyone will agree and thats fine. Just please keep a proper tone.

Thanks for reading.

150 Likes

You are not my supervisor. :angry:

Sorry you are bored. I am not. I am liking the game.

If you want big Sorc skill effects you need to go Arc Lash build

4 Likes

I had spots of boredom from 1-50. Then it got exciting again until about 53, then boring again until 63 when I did the next capstone. Now I’m bored again at 70.

Gear pacing is strange right now, its very rewarding for a couple of levels in each world tier, and then you hit a deadzone.

9 Likes

I feel ya, I feel like the game had so much potential but the devs are hard set on their ways despite the tons of feedback given during the betas. It truly is a shame. Its come to a point where everyday its expected to be a nerf to something.

11 Likes

I haven’t been bored yet, and I feel like I will play Diablo IV for a very long time.

7 Likes

OP I want to know how you got an injury from new world?

1 Like

Good. Im glad you dont feel the same lol

I agree with you.
I bought the Ultimate Edition and I played several hours, participated in the last 3 open betas, did the whole campaign and really had fun with my Rogue until lv 63.
So I decided to create a Necro and to my surprise, the whole map was covered again except for the capitals, it discouraged me a lot, I don’t see any point in discovering the whole map again, I abandoned Necro and today, and less than 15 days from launch I only play a few minutes in the game when I get home from work and I have nothing better to do.
I’m sure that over time the game can be better, the release of Diablo 3 was not there big things either, but until D4 improves I will not be as active as I would like.

10 Likes

I played bow. Holding the button down for aiming, too often and for too long strained my arm. Ive had rsi in my right srmnfor a few years now, and i cant seem to get rid of it. Im forced to play with controller now, and only for short periods of time.

Jesus wrecked.

That sucks bro

As a gamer of nearly 40 years, I can tell you that as time goes on, games get more and more boring, the reason for this is genras and the ways in which we interact with the games.

After a few decades of playing games on pc, or console or both, you will eventually have played so many games from so many genras that even new games will get boring quickly.

This is akin to chasing the dragon. Entertainment has diminishing returns as we age.

-e

The only escape option is to find a new genra, or a new way to play games, new peripherals. Like vr, but good. Or if you are a mouse and keyboard user usually try playing with a controller, or vice versa.

7 Likes

I dont entirely disagree, but the design choices around progression is in my eyes an objective flaw. I still enjoy arpgs. Many people including younger audience, complain about this issue as well.

2 Likes

Not bored at all. 36 here, and I must admit I can’t remember the last time I had so much fun in a game after playing it for over a week 12 hours a day straight lol.
Looking forward to play alts, continue leveling my main and pushing Nightmare Dungeons. Base game is already so much to do, can’t wait to see what they expand upon next.

2 Likes

Envy me son for I don’t not find it boring.

Its also because of same legend items whole game … and than after you finished campaign you lost your goal like me …And didn’t see anything new or something that will give u a reason to continue . Since all same dungeons items that you already done and now again same… just to level… and repeat all items till 100 I mean what the hell…

9 Likes

The legendary and unique system is weird to me too. It hurt the excitement of finding a legendary. Diablo 3 gave us too many. Diablo 2 was more enjoyable to me, but wouldnt work with the casual audience diablo has now.

I would have loved for legendaries to have been uniqes.

7 Likes

If you remember Diablo 2 you’ll remember there is also no skill diversity, there were certain builds that worked and some that didn’t.

WW barb
Javelin or wind force Amazon
Hammer pally
Trap assassin
Nobody cares about the necro
And I’m sure something with the Druid

A lot of what people remember wasn’t even released with the game but in expansions. Although I also played d2 for like 10 years stop pretending like it’s better.

1 Like

As an experienced player, I completely agree with your conclusions. This is just not a very good game, from conception to implementation, and everywhere in between. Very poorly crafted. Blizzard is not what it once was, and the quality of the gameplay reflects that unfortunately.

9 Likes

Yeah this system is definitely a little weird. Legendary drops are not really the item you chase in the end game. You’re looking for rare items with the stats you want and then you just imprint the legendary effect on it.

People are literally selling best in slot yellow rares on ebay and other websites. All you have to do after that is just find perfect roll of legendary, which is pretty easy in most cases as the legendary effects can come on numerous different item slots. It’s kind of silly. Some of my best items have come from the vendors in game lol.

There are a few exceptions of course regarding how easy it is to find the legendary aspect that you want, such as the Barbarian shout ring effects. Bloody things are rare.

2 Likes

It blows my mind that anyone can have played D3 and make the claim that D4 is boring.