Feature suggestion: ultimate skill button

exactly this! 100% agree

I dont understand why its so much of a problem that you need a 7th button all of a sudden, when the system is similar to d3, where you had a choice of using a skillslot for a big cd or not.

I suspect that just like attributing too much to the legendary tag on items and unable to get over it, people is staring themselves blind on the ultimate tag that is just a fancier category for your big cd skill.

1 Like

You should be able to assign as many skills as you want.

4 keyboard buttons and 2 mouse buttons is so limiting at times.

Have mana and cool downs dictate how many and often you fire abilities.l

Many buttons does not equal skill, just tedium.

Never said anything about what takes skill and what doesnā€™t.

But you are entitled to your opinion even if it doesnā€™t relate to my post.

Besides, just because you CAN equip every skills wouldnā€™t mean you actually do XD

True, they probably wonā€™t come up with the Poe approach, but they could at least create another button for the class ultimate ability.

It would take literally a week MAX to develop, integrate and test :slight_smile:

Iā€™d agree with this, after playing lost ark having 8 abilities felt so great because I could choose what to build and strengthen. Thereā€™s some abilities that feel great but horrible because they take up a slot. I really liked having Iron skin, but it had to replace shouts. Iā€™d also be ok with some passive type abilities. Iā€™m not sure i feel good about spamming a buff shout, or armors. I get they are toggles but Iā€™d rather that be a less used key slot to allow for more diversity.

I really hope too that the devs consider making builds based on single clusters of nodes. I would love to be able to make a Brawl barbarian where you take all the Brawl tree and thereā€™s something to synergize to make this work and stronger based on you skill point usage.

1 Like

+1 to separate button for ultimate. I honestly think there should be enough buttons to fit one of each main tree ability. My biggest complaint for beta was lack of skill buttons. It would be nice if there was a modifier button that allowed you to bring up a different skill bar. 5 skills over the duration of this game will get stale fast.

2 Likes

We did fine with 6 slots in D3.

Maybe rename ā€˜Ultimateā€™ to something else? There is a ā€˜must equipā€™ quality because of its label, but it doesnā€™t have to present this way.

1 Like

The ā€œmust equipā€ quality is not there because of its label, but because of the actual power of the skill. Lightning sorceress for example has a skill that gives her +25% attack speed (which also gives lightning ball +50% damage), additional free AoE damage and for every spell she casts, a second lightning skill is cast for free. That should essentially double her damage for a fairly long duration.
Ultimates in Diablo 4 are exactly what one would expect from them: strong high impact skills with high cooldown (albeit for an ultimate I find the common 1-2 minute cooldowns to be fairly short). They also often seem to be central to the build they are part of.

So you think D3 is ā€œgood enoughā€ and they shouldnā€™t try to improve on it? Or, are you just going through every thread that levies any criticism just to be a contrarian.

3 Likes

Exactly my point I was about to write but you were faster!
Probably best to ignore these guys tbh.

Adding the ultimate ability slot seems a light change but would open a lot of options regarding skills choice

Great that so many players responded positively to this suggestion. Maybe Blizzard listens.

2 Likes

100% agree we need this feature and glad to see so many people posting about it. Ultimate button please Blizz!

Iā€™m looking at YOU Joe Shelly and Rod Ferguson!

Was this really a decision that was best for the GAME as a WHOLE and a widely held belief among majority of D4 devs that only 6 skills would be enough?

Or is this a decision handed on from up high by some of the top D4 devs who play with a controller?

Because you mentioned it was your preferred way to play the game, but I find it very difficult most D4 devs arenā€™t PC players and use a keyboard and also felt 6 skills was too few.

Please make the decision thatā€™s best for the ENTIRE game and not forget your pc keyboard players.

All we want is an extra ultimate button not a complete redesign. But honestly feels like you cucked the keyboard users in favour of console and that sucks.

it kind of sucks we are only 1/4th of the way into the game at level 25 and already struggling with what skills to use and there are much more on the way. I hate the 1-2-3-4 buttons, I have fat fingers and small hands so streching to the top row of the keyboard sucks, i end up pressing the ~ more then pressing 1 and it never fails when I find myself in a hairy position, it end up /replying to the person i was chating too and none of my abilities work and check my screen and see you /m soandso 111232123123213123213123123132 dead
hahahha

Not just the rogue, all builds feel like a one trick pony, especially the barb builds because you canā€™t even make use of the Arsenal 4 weapons.

It feels like PC players are compromising EVERYTHING and console players compromise NOTHING. When Diablo is a PC game brought to console. It has a die hard pc fanbase that built the community and have loved these games since its inception.

Is it too much or not fair for us to ask console players to compromise ONE tiny part of gameplay and have to press 2 buttons at the same time to activate ONE skill on a 60 second cooldown?

I really think console and controller got everything they could ask for all at PC players expense when Diablo is a PC game at its heart.

I mean damn you can even use keyboard and mouse on console now! If players wanted to step their game up they could plug a keyboard and mouse in on both xbox and ps5 (both support it now and can be used in games) if D4 enables it and I donā€™t see why they shouldnā€™t.

Iā€™m all for another button but Iā€™d prefer it be either for anything or for mobility skills, as not every build wants an ult. Adding this change would force an ult into every build and I think that would be a little stale.

Iā€™m actually both a pc and console player. I prefer games on console as its a ā€œgameā€ system afterall. However i did build myself a rather nice gamer pc (I tend to do that every few years) and the keyboard and mouse combo is ā€œGREATā€ in first person shooter games (like quake and doom) but suck mainly for adventure games (except games with teleport - where you can teleport where you click).