Exploiters in the tower

I’ve started playing D4 again, after a very, very long break. I think season 5 was the last time I played.

I’ve just managed to push a 140 tower clear and get rank 20 SSF rogue. I was really proud of that. Then decided to take a look at the leaderboards to see what I can improve upon or fish for to push a bit higher.
**
I’ve counted at least 11 exploiters ahead of me.**

They seem to have diamond mind equipped alongside multiple unique charms. This has deflated me quite a lot. I don’t really see the point in participating in a ranked system where exploitation is openly allowed. The data is right there, in the open, and Blizzard seemingly hasn’t done anything about it.

Are they likely to be removed? Right now, I can’t find any info anywhere from Blizzard regarding this exploit and what they’re doing about it. Are exploiters just going to be allowed the rewards from ranking that high? As of right now, it’s simply incentivising others to participate in the exploit.

8 Likes

When is the tower active?

I dont see it next to pit

You can use one more Charm So IT Is Simple . If want play competive leaderboards,you Have to use all bugs And exploits like they using . If they Will fix, you Will play normal .

2 Likes

Just another reason why I’ll never play Tower, let alone ever take it seriously.

5 Likes

The few lucky with a Torch, that can reduce 5 set bonus to merely 3 set charms can exploit.

For something like Helltides or even pits, I’d say it doesn’t matter. You can cap glyphs by running 109 with Meph power relatively easily anyway.

But for tower I’d say it’s not OK.

instead of labeling others, why not study their builds.
there are groups out there working together to farm charms, not necessarily through exploits. and i believe Blizzard would not join your fantasy just because you are SSF and could not achieve higher.

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

How can you see other people’s items?

Inspect profile and view build on leaderboards have been broken for me this season.

7 Likes

The B-team is scared that new players will have a look at the top ten leaderboard builds and see all the 100% “legit” items with using triple unique charms and 10x gem strength on every piece of gear :grinning_cat_with_smiling_eyes:

I’m curious how you can see anyone’s gear to accuse them of exploiting. Inspecting other players has been broken since the beginning of the season and that includes the leaderboard.

Also, why do you say equipping Diamond Mind with multiple unique charms is an exploit? The whole purpose of Diamond Mind is to allow a player to equip up to three unique charms.

As soon as they released SSF I knew complaints like this were going to come up. People tend to think they are the greatest players in the world but as soon as someone is better, accusations of cheating and exploiting come out.

4 Likes

What’s there to study?

1 Like

this season, another throwback from D2, the hellfire torch, has been added to the game. this is a mythic charm that grants the ability to add another charm and add +1 to a specific charm set. as well as plus to all stats, plus to all res, 1-4 skill ranks.

it’s possible this is what the OP saw.

2 Likes

There sould be 4 leaderboards, one for…

  1. exploiters
  2. RMT users
  3. Traders
  4. righteous souls playing fair w/o exploits, rmt & trading

Imagine you are a fair soul and your rank gets totally devastated by exploiters fighting about who of them can do the quickest tower 150 run under 50 seconds.

At the end when blizzard is shelling out unique loot (mounts, etc…) the exploiters gets it all and the fair sportsmen can clap for them.

1 Like

to me, the snapshot available to everyone at the moment before patching was already fair.
i would not label others just because i stand on moral high ground to feel holier than thou. otherwise, how about RMT? everyone can complain 24x7 about this matter, and every now and then, every season, there will be jokers jealous about those leaderboards with 4GA perfect gear and labeling them RMT-ers.
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

if you play this game hyper competitively you have to expect all sorts of unfair play, that’s why I stick to participation trophy stuff and just making the top 1000.

But apparently that must go as well because they refuse to honor their promise and give people even the most basic permanent record of their placement.

If you go to helltides .com, it allows you to inspect players gear in the Tower and Pit leaderboard section. It’s accurate, as I can confirm it’s recorded me correctly and streamers who have shown their push gear in VoDs.

The Diamond Mind reduces Set Charm requirement by 1, you’re thinking of the other mythic seal. If you inspect some of the players, you’ll see they have the Diamond Mind seal equipped, with 5 set AND 2 Unique Charms. This is clearly unintentional, and I have replicated it by doing some dodgy stuff with swapping seals and charms around. But haven’t used it in the tower.

I don’t think I’m “the greatest player”. I’m older now, have a full time job and lack the skill or motivation to pursue a top 10. All I ask for is a level playing field so I can have a bit of fun pushing and seeing how high I can go, hence SSF. I didn’t expect to even get top 500. I am entirely justified in feeling demotivated when seeing hard evidence of people exploiting.

I clearly stated in my original post I was inspecting players to see what I could improve. If I’m completely mistaken and this turns out to be nothing, then I’ll apologise and admit I was wrong. But I can’t see how this isn’t an exploit.

4 Likes

Welcome to my life.

I guess I’ll just have to take pride in the fact that I’m the highest non exploiting rogue on the leaderboard, or at least it seems that way.

I have all of the necessary items to exploit, but I’m holding out and hoping that Blizzard will do the right thing. Unfortunately though, it seems that they aren’t even going to address it because that would require throwing all of the streamers and theorycrafters on their payroll under the bus.

3 Likes

They will never do anything about it. Gold sellers and bots have run rampant in WoW and they could easily stop it but don’t. Blizzard is just a lazy company.

This right here. You can’t take a LB seriously when the game is bugged to all hell and the fixes are few and far between. It’ll always come down to who finds the bug first, and then who can capitalize on using it before it gets fixed.

On the normal LB’s right now, all 1000 entries of the Warlock are sitting at 150, not even joking. Obviously I didn’t look at the SSF, but wouldn’t surprise me if they were close to it as well.

Keep in mind that LB’s also reset every 2 weeks. So it’s very possible they fix this bug when the next LB reset happens. It’s also very possible they won’t.

4 Likes

I assume you think you’d be on this leaderboard.:rofl:

1 Like

Big old yup.

But even if the game were without its numerous flaws, would a functional leaderboard add anything? Didn’t add anything to D2 except an occasional reset that eventually lead to a bit of seasonal material that was independent of the leaderboard.

FWTIW (and its probably not worth anything at all - it’s just a personal observation): I’ve long been suspicious of extrinsic motivations when it comes to gameplay; I tend to focus on the intrinsic rewards associated with doing something that’s genuinely satisfying.

One of the chief benefits of this approach: I avoid hamster wheels; have never worried about climbing a digital leaderboard; have never worried about missing out on something; and - best of all - haven’t been milked by one corporate entity or another.

But each to their own.

1 Like