Everyone Angry About The Servers

I got 3 characters to 25 from the last weekend test…
You’ll have plenty of time to experience the game in the coming days.

1 Like

I’m just remembering the d3 release and how bad that was. Very similar issues. Really hope they would have learned from their previous issues… I’m not a game developer but I can’t imagine that they’re having more traffic then MW3 so why is it they constantly have issues with there servers being overloaded compared to more popular games with higher traffic?

Growing numbers of players over the years compared to decades ago.

Because they are deliberately overloading the servers. They can do this a few ways:

• Invite as many people as possible, which they did by making it an open beta.
  • Shut down some servers in each cluster, to overload the remaining ones. This stress-tests each cluster for fail points and shows how well the remaining servers hold up under load if any servers fail after the game goes live and the rest have to suddenly work harder.

I bet they did both things. So we’re not playing with each server cluster/datacenter using 100% of its resources.

Think of it like a 5 lane highway being closed down to 1 or 2 lanes; there’s going to be massive backup and snarls at on-ramps upstream.
Or, in the case of the game; Massive queue times and lag.

1 Like

Hope your right! I’m fearful this is a precursor for the release. But I hope that they see and fix the issues now for a smooth release!

Same! And that seems to be the plan; stress it all now to see how it works and how it fails, so they can be ready in the event of screwups on launch.
Kind of like practicing fire drills in the event there’s actually a fire.

2 Likes

Release date probably won’t have queue issues but it will have other issues like lag or disconnects. In other words they will have enough server capacity for the live game, it just won’t be a perfect experience.

1 Like

It will probably also get better once the player base is spread throughout the entire game, and not 1 million people (Taking this number from the previous beta) all in the Act 1 zone in every server cluster.

I’d only say put that in the launcher as a message along with the current “LOts of people blah blah blah” so people know it’s intentional.

Yeah, they really should have. Or even a splash screen on startup, while in queue.
“We know queue times are long. We are intentionally stress-testing the game servers to ensure a smooth launch on 6.6.2023.
There may be stuttering, lag, and disconnects, as the servers are deliberately being put under heavy load to see how they perform, and where we can improve before launch.”

I legit had no idea this was a stress test, I figured just a massive amount of players decided to get the game for the beta.

1 Like

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d4/t/expectations-for-the-diablo-iv-open-beta-march-24-26/6276

Servers have worked fine for me, no issues aside some rubber-banding here and there.

Just curious about this. Cant they just run a script to overload and stress test the servers? And if they can, then cant they do it at any time?

I’m not panicking. But lag today has been excruciatingly bad. I haven’t even seen that many people in the game. But lag is 10x worse than last week. It is almost unplayable.

The COULD, but then we would not be playing.
And I’m only a hobbyist when it comes to coding, so I don’t know if stress testing with players is better or different from using a script. That’s beyond my little amount of knowledge. Sorry. :slight_smile:
The most I know is that there are 3 types of testing; Performance, Load, and Stress.

How they differ and why to do one over the others is beyond me.

Thank you! Googling more info now. In my ignorant brain here I’m imagining the head guy telling everyone to run a script with 300k logins and seeing where it fails.

Oh did they spell that out in an area they never showed in the open beta sign up area? How considerate you’re right I should have known! Cause i care so much about this game that i’m gonna read up all the relevant material hahaha right after master and the margharita i’ll check out the diablo 4 reading material to become smarter!

Advertisement : Play the open beta this weekend!!! Fun times test our game for free and we won’t have to pay anyone it’s a win win!!

Reality : This thing barely works we hinted at it in an article we didn’t show you, you’ll never read it unless you investigate, your time doesn’t mean anything at all to us or we would have warned you, you’re in our game world nao we don’t care about your time, in actual fact you are stress test for our system we intentionally are wasting your time for profit boi. We used to reward people and thank them for spending their valuable time testing our game, now it’s your privilege to spend your time serving us muahaha

There is a thing that anyone who works with web-based services for any length of time can probably back up here: You can run every test in the world locally, but it won’t ever really give you an accurate idea of what launch conditions are going to be like. Even if you route those 500k logins through VPNs and from remote sites, it still might not expose flaws in your architecture that a live test will, if only because it won’t account for very human things like players getting frustrated and giving up, or whether the number of necromancers and druids with pet-centric builds impacts server stability to an appreciable degree, etc.

1 Like