Does Item Level Matter?

Hit 100 and tryring to figure out how to equip my barbie, currently running hota/charge
I see a lot of videos of level 100 barbs with item levels around 700-800 and they seem to decimate everything.
If i have a 925 ilvl piece that doesn’t have the stats i should be running but i have an ilvl 885 piece that has my needed stats, do i go with 925 ilvl or 885 stats even though the 885 stat one has 300 less armor.
my barbie currently has 11,239 atk power and 12,200 health, i seen a youtube guide char had a lot lower ilvl equipment than i do but he has 20,700 atk power and 20,00 hp…

Item Power matters more on your weapons. As far as everything else, as long as it’s high enough after upgrades to reach certain caps on affixes and for resistances on jewelry, you’re fine. Go with the 885 armor if it has the stats you need.

1 Like

Higher iLvl has higher Base Value and Affix roll potential. With Armor, the only thing that matters is that you are at the cap for the content you are running. You do not need the 14kish armor if you are not running NMD 100. There are charts out there that show you what those values are.

The reason why you see people running with older Armor is when they have the perfect Affixes and have not found an upgrade and do not need the armor. If you are under the soft cap for the content you are going to run, you need to rethink that.

Any weapon that is bound to a Skill you ABSOLUTELY want the highest iLvl and DPS over almost everything else. If you have a weapon that is 1,000 DPS higher than your current but only has 1 or 2 good Affix rolla on it, use it.

2 Likes

Carrotfeets and Jemuzu are both technically correct.

I will point out the meta obvious, Barb so strong you can use bad gear, low item levels, and still Charge through the content just fine.

For example I had a level 92 HoTA, still 1-shots bosses. And for longest time I forgot I was still using an old 1-hand mace with low item power and random affixes. It did however have berserk damage which was the only thing that mattered for hundreds of millions of damage versus tens of millions.

It depends on the item type and affixes.

Generally speaking yes you do want 925 to get the most damage and armor - this matters most for weapons primarily or at least the ones you’re not using as “stat sticks”. There are also many Aspects that directly scale with item level, in addition to certain affixes (chiefly Thorns)

But you’re still better off using a lower piece of armor (though not necessarily a weapon) that has all the right stats on it. Giving up something with say max rolled CDR or DWB on it just because another item has 50 or even 100 more item level to it isn’t worth it just for the extra armor.