Diablo 4 Itemization

Except they only drop for Druid. Most other classes are better off using blues than uniques.

1 Like

Honestly think people overexaggerate that problem

There are good uniques, in terms of “D2 style” uniques, much like the one I posted in the example

Thing about Uniques is they shouldn’t necessarily overshadow other items, they should give you something that is specifically/unique to them… Think Druid is fine in that regard, the other classes kinda lack that kind of love but yeah:

• Increasing injury threshold to 66% certainly is a unique thing (pretty sure there are Barbs that would like to have this one for ex.)
  • Converting all overtime damage to Shadow (and return resource on kill) could be a unique thing
  • Cannot be Vulnerable could be a unique thing
  • Have a permanent Barrier up could be a unique thing (at the expense of % max HP)

e.t.c.

Either way, the important thing is to fix the baseline affix pool in late-game first… Feels kinda lacklustre, that’s why people keep getting CDR

:rofl: Exactly like that, because in d2 windforce was actually the best gear for amazon while in d4 it’s just an item. And the funny thing is it has dropped so many times … which has made the item meaningless. It’s not even an upgrade.

3 Likes

Not even sure this group is capable.

1 Like

This is where you are completely wrong. Uniques should be so powerful and build defining, that finding one makes you want to respec your character completely around a single item. That is what made previous Diablo items great. Other Diablo game have 10-20 of these per class, D4 has 0

1 Like

The constant misconception that these two go hand in hand together… Sure, they might, but not necessarily the case so

More like change your playstyle… Whether or not you re-spec for capitalizing on a single item better that’s up to you

I’m to the point where I don’t even look at white/blue/yellow items. I just sell or break them down for materials. Legendary and Unique are all I bother with now, and even those mostly get sold, broken down, or MAYBE grab an aspect if it’s a decent enough roll (very rare). It is all very boring unfortunately.

It should be enough said that 6 days after a season has started, I’m playing Battlegrounds, and surfing the D4 forums. I don’t even have the motivation to finish the WT3 capstone to unlock WT4 :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yellows can become legendaries and could have your BIS stats on them all you have to do is imprint an aspect on them.

D2 was fun because once you found a unique, you can literally create an entirely new character to do just that. Use it to make a new fun build.

2 Likes

Such as ? :thinking:

Here’s the thing, yes, there were SOME uniques that made you “recycle” your character, but the vast majority didn’t

Most uniques revolved around a stat, or combination or stats, that rolls nowhere else

40% poison resist on Boots - that was Unique in D2
85% poison resist on Dagger - that was Unique in D2
50% fire resist on a staff - that was Unique in D2
+Fire damage per hit on Armor - that was Unique in D2
50% Magic find on an Amulet - that was Unique in D2

Point being regardless - many of these weren’t even close to BiS, the reason why they were unique is that they solved one problem at the expense of others (for the most part)… The last one for ex. was afair Angelic Sickle was it ?, the high MF% amu that barely gave anything else lol

So not quite - D2 uniques were about being that - unique… Whether or not they were powerful is a totally another matter (some were, in the late game, but vast majority and for the most part weren’t overall)

3 Likes

You have no clue, chasing after affixes will always be boring and isn’t rewarding at all.

Games like these need big pools of build defining items which change skills and enable you to try out something different. Heck, you should be able to find uniques like that for other classes, too, so you feel incentivized to try out other classes or trade these items for something you are looking for.

Good itemization is the backbone for this sort of game and brings long-term motivation, so players keep playing. Affixchases will never be fun regardless how much you change it. Btw the current pool of affixes is as bloated as it is, so it takes longer getting items that are a bit better than your current collection of boring items.

5 Likes

Yeah, yeah, we know, they know. D2 itemization was better. We can only hope they listen on that one.

(and that better be the only damn thing still coming from D2)

3 Likes

Yep its, imo, the worst issue plaguing the game today.

I made a thread on a bunch of feedback I’d love to see them address around itemization.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/14seg8v/itemization_needs_fixed_im_never_been_less/

It had a lot of traction on reddit as well but Devs won’t even speak about itemization which tells me they have no plans to address any of the issues.

6 Likes

Level 33 bow Kuko Shakuku. It replaces your normal attack with explosive arrows.

A sorcerer can use this bow and “enchant” herself (raises fire damage to her own weapons) and can raise fire damage with passives.

Her regular bow shots become nuclear missiles.

Can you do that in d4?
Can d4 sorc even use a bow?
Nope, go ahead and use a wand with:

increased damage while close
increased damage while far
increased damage to a mouse
increased damage in a blouse

7 Likes

That kind of change would take a long time, probably over several patches. I can see it happening though, because their current system is just confusing.

3 Likes

What makes it worse (for me anyway) is that without a loot filter i’m basically forced to pick up everything, since rares are basically the same as legendaries, and then spend time sifting through that gear only to sell/salvage 99% of it. A simple affix loot filter would help a ton with this.

3 Likes

Yeah, like having Vulnerable, CDR, and 5 other “trash” stats instead of 10 stats (including those 2) being actually useful

I’m so tired of people “cracking” the game and then wanting to remain it so… No no, you want stat X on item X, otherwise you lose X, Y, Z :stuck_out_tongue:

And it gets even worse when people think there should be “as minimal as possible” cause of the fact that they can reroll to get “specific thing” that they want

Yeah, no, ty

ALL affixes should be in both pool (and range) that will make itemization meaningful… Those things that are “less useful” should have higher rolls, so they can compete with the otherwise “wanted” rolls (instead of having a gimped pool cause of higher chances to get a roll or two)

1 Like

Your post makes little to no sense and you are just a shining example of someone who has no idea what meaningful itemization means.

I think you are missing the point, it can’t just be fine-tuning the pool of affixes. The item power concept (which is probably a product of the way the game scales) is a lazy itemization design which is a core problem of this game which I don’t think they can fix very easily.

If ancestral items feel like sacred items which just feels like normal rare items, you’ve lost the hunt for some people at level 50 b/c they’ve been there done that. And by level 70 you kind of have seen everything and that’s like just running normal or low tier NM dungeons. What makes me want to try harder content ?

I could go on, but I would be curious who is really championing and praising the itemization in this game. Like seriously, not being sarcastic, but someone who generally agrees and makes a lot of good arguments of how well done it is. I have not seen one.

2 Likes