Diablo 4 Itemization

I think the problem is way more extensive than just modifiers and affixes. In my opinion it looks like a complete rework, everything in the current state feels soo wrong, scaling, itempower (should not be a thing at all), aspects (belong in skill tree if even needed) , uniqes, affixes , identity of items etc. Dunno how they came up with this load of bs itemization system in the first place when they litterally have 3 predecessors to learn from. All the data they need is actually right there in their own database. Forgot to mention why the f… is everything class specific this is bs, this kills any reason to pick up anything that isnt better than what ur char is currently wearing or cant be used in his build and the no trade policy amplifies this feeling even more

It is totally fine to not like D3. (or whatever)
But you are “through” D3 seasons after 3-5 days of moderate playing. While mobile games do everything to keep you from finishing the game.
D4 tries to keep you away from finishing the game, which is more like a mobile game. (plus the battle pass, cosmetics/microtransactions) :kissing_heart:

Ok, let’s assume that’s the case

Currently the game works in this way, let’s assume a single type of item and let’s examine it’s “progression” through levels:

Let’s assume Amulet is the one we’re looking at… Each amulet (afaik) rolls 2 types of Resistances, that’s the inherent value they roll (though some roll MS but later in the game ?, not sure)

So:

Amulets start appear level 6-7-ish (I think ? :thinking:) so let’s assume 10

Level 10:

• 2 resistances, +X to X/all stat/s, +X% to X damage (close/ranged)

Level 20:

• 2 resistances, +X to X/all stat/s, +X% to X damage (close/ranged), +X to skill, %Damage vs CC or MaxResource

Level 30:

• All the above + CC/CCR or RCR or CDR

Level 40:

• All the above + +X to X skills

Level 50:

• All the above + +X to X passive (most often Key passive but sometimes can be any passive in skill tree)

Level 60+:
All the above + DR% or DPS% (and someone correct me if I’m wrong but also think they can roll Armor% as well)

So - from there up to lvl100, that’s ALL you want Amus to roll ? :thinking:, like seriously, never ever get the wish to have a new roll, like say:

• LH% reduce target’s damage by X%
  • LH% gain a buff (Berserk for ex.) or restore max Resource
  • %Damage based on resource (or skills cost % more resource but deal %% more damage type of roll)
  • %Damage based on amount of Fortify/Barrier

Like, none of those things intrigue you to get something else/new… At all ?

Imagine getting those at lvl70 for ex. and then on lvl80 get even more “advanced” things like:

• % Damage/reduction vs/from Elites
  • % Damage/reduction based on MS/AS
  • LH% chance to cast a free “copy” of a skill (multicast)
  • X skills have LH% increased (say Core skills have LH% additively increased (baseline) for 5-10%)

Like, none of those things would work (at all) ?

I seem to recall itemization being pretty much the same in D3 on launch. The developers need room to develop the game each season. Could this be the reason itemization seems a bit lacking?

they could leave the system as is, and just build a filtering/triggered items system to go hand in hand - like i said in an earlier post - a way for you to define what you’re looking for affix wise, and if an item drops that’s 2/4 or 3/4 or whatever you configure it flags it (green check mark or something - and highlights the affixes that match) - then of course once you vendor or salvage anything that doesn’t meet your criteria is sold/salvaged with 1 click for all items

the issue is we have to basically look at all the items if you knew right off oh this one has 2/4 or 3/4 of the stats im looking for and to take it even further let’s say you could even put in the value of the affix, like im looking for LHC > 5 and Crit DMG > 17 - oh this item has it, boom both are bolded green with a check mark or something like that - that right there would solve all the issues related to having to mouseover every single crappy gear piece

Problem is, some people think they are getting a dopamine effect from D3, and they likely are. Items sure arent rare in that game. Nor can you trade.
It does have high power on those items, but only for a few days, then you have found everything.
So, it would appear that you dont need “Rarity, value, usefulness” for triggering that dopamine effect.

For me personally, D3 does nothing of that kind. Both D2 and D4 are much better at it.
But trading value sure isnt a factor there. Rarity and usefulness are. For others it might seemingly be different.

Cant agree there. The difference between 4 good affixes for your build and 4 bad ones are insanely huge. Arguably so than in D2.
Less so than in D3, but again, the absurd multipliers in D3 didnt feel manage to trigger any dopamine imo. Only boredom.

Cant recognize this either. Lvl 75 in the season and especially my amulet is still terrible, but basically all the items could be better, and still finding upgrades daily.

D4 itemization is bad though, and imo item droprate should be reduced substantially, while quality should be improved, by cutting off the lower quality drops (low item power and low affix rolls). That imo would improve the dopamine effect, when you dont get items that are bad only because they rolled low. Getting an item with the “wrong” stats, but high rolled, can still feel good, as that item might be useful in some other build.

The affix pool should both be reduced, and expanded; combine some of the current affixes that do the same things for different builds/classes - all affixes should basically work across all classes, but very much not across all builds. We don’t really need two different affixes for Stunned and Frozen, for example. Just make it an affix for ‘hard cc’. Slowed and Chilled could get a combined one for soft CC. Etc. Whereas stuff like Close and Range should remain, as they do different things.
Then begin to add a ton of new interesting affixes instead.

Just no trading, ever, imo. That one is a dopamine killer. Felt that in PoE. Finding good items become meaningless, when you could have gotten them much faster and easier through trading in a crashed, oversaturated market.

They need more impactful affixes on items, things that are immediately visible to the player that change / improve the way your character plays.

One of the best examples is from POE, a super valuable mod: “Your bow attacks fire an additional arrow”. As soon as I equip the quiver or bow with this mod my character feels better - it gives a sense of progression.

They could easily add interesting mods like this to the pool. Picture this:

• Core Skills have x% chance to instantly repeat at (20-30%) effectiveness.
  • Lucky Hit: Core skills have x% chance to reduce the cooldown of your ultimate ability by x seconds.
  • x% increased area of effect.
  • Spells and abilities fire x additional projectiles.
  • x% chance to gain y% attack speed on kill.
  • x% chance to gain Str/Int/Dex on kill for y seconds.
  • Your minions are more aggressive (stolen from POE :sweat_smile: )

Every one of these would feel way better than 2% more vuln damage. We need affixes that you can FEEL.

• Leftmost 3-4 Magic Utility Flasks constantly apply their flask effect to you.
  • When you kill a rare monster you gain its modifiers for 20 seconds.

Wait those last two ones… I think I’m gonna go play POE.

1 Like

I get what you’re saying. I was comparing the shallowness and the lack of efforts required by the player, maybe the artistic direction even.
However I don’t agree that D4 tries to keep you away from finishing the game, xp is not that long if you play right, I’d rather say there is no actual finish line, or endgame if you will. I wouldn’t be able to say what “finishing D4” means tbh.
As to MTXs, they’re just everywhere now, mobile game or not. PoE is a very serious arpg and has MTX.

What is there to do after reaching lvl 100 with each class and max. the glyphs?
Hunting uber legendarys? They are too rare to seriously going after them.

That´s also f2p though.
Full price title, plus mtx are imo still a no-go.

No loot filter will ever help this wretched pathetic system with endless stupid percents and conditions upon endless stupid percents and conditions on every skill, every item, every aspect, every sigil, etc.

i agree there isnt enough cool affix in the game also i always get the same 4 to 5 diablo 3 had at least aton of cool stuff on thier legendarys its the crap over and over wish the had unique cool power or skills on the items in this game… getting boring

True that

/20characts

U are so wrong in so many ways i dont even know where to begin and not even sure i want to spend time writing a wall off text to even try and explain anything cause u seem pretty biased. Besides i never said anything about me liking D3 , that game was raining legendaries and sets to the point where they lost any sense of value but at least items was unique and with interresting mechanics . D4 is litterally thousands of stupid generic rare items with no identity that u just slap on aspects. Oh and by the way those 4 stats on ur rare items dont matter as much as u think once ur paragon board gets filled. Only the item power of ur weapon really does much and it sure as hell doesnt matter wether u got a perf roll or a mid roll on the affixes of ur other gear cause the difference is not that much. Take a look around the internet, youtube, reddit, forum or whatever not many people like the current itemization. In fact just scroll this post and see how many people that dont like it right here

that is on purpose. why does no one see it? you’re not supposed to be “done”. you’re supposed to keep on playing. satisfaction is not desired. it’s a bottomless pit and very much like a sh*tty mobile game.

that’s also why i doubt anything is going to change soon. it’s the plan activision has for diablo 4.

The entire A-RPG genre relies on the RNG of the rolls. Kinda the point.

Don’t worry OP, knowing developer they will introduce season 2 note…

Weekly announcement 1: Each class has unique drop that give 10 % droprate
Weekly announcement 2: Exclusive drop from mystery chest
Weekly announcement 3: Increase Aberrant Cinders by amount from 250 to 2500 to open said chest
Weekly announcement 4: Said such drop has 1/63000 chance drop

You know how it forum goes all 4 announcement from white knight are great and part of RNG of the rolls.
:rofl:

it’s also not fun when you get a yellow that’s finally an improvement just to realize you need 24 legendary mats in order to even use it

unique items are useless, not even for a while to use. Bows are useless, as you will always lose to the beast’s vulnerability

Yeah well you dont even need to care too much for the rolls on rare items anyway since they become less valuable the more points u put in the paragon board. Who cares if the roll says 20% or 25% crit damage when u already got like 250% u will barely notice the difference at all and certainly not worth another perfect aspect. Vendor trash just like the rest of ur inventory, besides noone wants to go through the pain of going through hundreds or thousands of yellow items, reading all the meaningless numbers to find the one that has a 5% better roll than what u are wearing. My head would explode and my eyes would pop out of their sockets

I agree with you. On d3, when a first drops, we know there is a high chance of a very good item coming. Sometimes perfect. On d4 we find good 3/4 items and sometimes we roll and I don’t get what I want because it costs 16 m gold. Surreal. Sad but for me it’s the biggest problem with the game. There is no end game and that’s what most people complain about, but What is the end game of d2? Kill baal? And of D3, make a bigger rift? I think the game’s biggest problem is itemization and the ridiculous roll. From item 70 to 100 we use the same items. Or maybe it increases some roll, but we don’t see any difference in that. The game is fun up to level 70 because of this. You switch from sacred to ancestral and see how strong it becomes, even a 2/4 item. Besides, the biggest damage/survival comes from glyphs, level , hearts. Your weapon doesn’t matter.