Diablo 4 is kinda boring

Yes it is a beta. Yes it might be to early to judge.

I played last Weekend started with the Rogue and had overall a good experience not great but sufficient enough, even though I think the game is not ready for release.

Anyways after playing around with the Rogue killing the World Boss and testing some builds. I started testing the other classes.

And I have to say on my 2nd playthrough with the sorc it was way less fun and I love mage in D3 and most other games. Actually I planned on maining sorc at release (before the beta).

Well I thought maybe its not for me in this game, lets try barb. It was even worse I was actually so bored I had to press Alt F4 and do something different than playing this game.

New Weekend, here we are! I got my snacks drinks and stuff ready to play me some necro and druid tonight. And after an hour and a half of playing casually, doing quests, events, a bit of the story you know the things you would do.
And once again I caught myself pressing alt f4

And now I realize this game is kinda boring.

D4 granted looks great, the Cutscence are awsome

But somehow it just doesnt grab my attention
The Skilltree is so bland and most things feel kinda the same.
The Items are so boring when I get a new one I actually dont even want to look at them anymore

And on top of all that, the UI for PC is atrocious, it looks like a trashy mobile game.

And before you say, MaYbE yOu DoNt LikE DiAbLo!?!?!?!

I have played D2 for years
same with D3

Edit: Reflection on the Summerslam

I did come back for the Serverslam and rolled Rogue once more. I played roughly 2 hours yesterday to level up, which was fun.

Today, I did the legendary grind and it took about 2 to 3 hours to get basically fully geared and tackle Ashava on World Tier 2. I took her down with a few friends quite easily, which was also enjoyable. However, everything is better with friends, I suppose.

I was also very happy with the extreme improvements in performance compared to the Beta Weekends.

I am still not a fan of most of the stats on gear, i.e., close and distant, but that might become more interesting at higher levels and in PvP.

On release, I will probably play Rogue and maybe Me Sorc or Barb. Druid and Necro are definitely classes I don’t enjoy and probably won’t in the future.

Either way, overall, I had fun and do look forward to release.

Droprates are fine, considering we are only level 20, and you do find the occasional legendary without any cheese strats.

They did say sets will come in the future, and there are dozens of legendaries and uniques that aren’t available in the Beta.

I would also like to see some crafting like in D3, but I wouldn’t want it to be the meta to just craft everything. After all, we do play for the drops, don’t we?

Regarding the Skilltree, I would love to see at least as many options as in D3, but I am quite certain they will expand on it rather sooner than later.

All in all, for me personally, I will probably not grind the game as hard as I have grinded D2 or 3, but I believe I will play it for a long time on a more casual basis. Which isn’t a bad thing either.

Anyway, for the near future, I am looking forward to playing it and am positively hopeful Blizzard will keep moving in the right direction.

Cheers.

144 Likes

Felt the exact same way, played 2 hours today and even cracked an energy drink to get amped about it, and I got to level 15 and just couldn’t continue haha. Feels like a mobile game you can play while taking a poop

73 Likes

Den of Evil mission is more exciting than this entire Act 1 for sure - all we do is run around and nonstop refund skill

36 Likes

I think this is the intended outcome.

The game is designed to expand the scope of Diablo Immortal and Diablo 3. It’s a console port.

This is all fine, it’s clear that the game needs to appeal to a mass audience to sell as many copies as possible - these are the requirements of a publicly traded company.

But if you’re looking for a deeply engaging Diablo game with a boat load of functionality and innovate systems, that’s never, ever ever ever going to happen.

26 Likes

You’re playing the first like quarter of the game. There’s a bunch we don’t have access to. I can’t imagine the beta would be good for anything other than seeing the story, classes, and systems for a few hours. Even then you’re not seeing the whole class. Imagine if you compared a level 25 character in d3 to a lvl 70 with legendaries, cube, and set. It’s a different game entirely.

I wouldn’t base too much on the beta. It’s honestly a poor representation of how you’re going to spend 90% of your time in this game.

9 Likes

Blah blah, the usual song and dance:

But its a Beta!

But its Act 1!

But they’ll patch it!

We’ve seen this before, if the game doesn’t grab you, refund the tripe and move on. Don’t listen to the people saying it’ll get better, it never does. If you don’t like what is on the plate now, then it isn’t for you.

66 Likes

But you can compare A1 d4 to A1 d2 or d3…

I think its safe to say that A1 of d2 objectively has more monsters in it than a1 of d4… and also more monsters per square foot. Think of the camps like the one bishibop is in… Where there are like 5-6 shammans and a bunch of fallen. When do we have 5 shammans and big groups of fallen here?

Even the first 1-2 church levels of d1 had more monsters in it than d4 has.

You can also measure 30 minutes into d4 and 30 minutes into d1 or 2 how many monster encounters your going to have.

Also, especially in terms of d1, how many times in the first hour are you saying oh crap im low on life, compared to d4.

I think overall there is a surprising lack of tension in d4 and thats what makes it feel boring.

You can also compare a lvl 25 char in d2 to a lvl 25 char in d4, since they are both up to lvl 99/100.

I think the story of d4 is the best thing it has going for itself. And why it kinda falls off after you go through it once.

1 Like

It doesnt have to be all that, I had fun playing most D3 Seasons for a week or two and that was also fine.

I think I will try to play act 1 in d2 and d3 tomorrow and see if those are as boring as this game.

That being said, rogue gameplay was fun enough to play at least the story once when the game releases.

I could of told you that back in 1997 when I purchased the first Diablo. The basic ARPG mechanic is boring, playing to get to be a paragon then loose it all next season is boring, the whole concept is boring.

I have to give Blizzard credit. I did play the Elder Scrolls: Arena, X-Com: UFO Defense, and Ultima 7 & 8 before playing Diablo. I just buy them for the story then I never play again.

1 Like

Diablo III Beta was way better and you experienced only fraction of the game but it gave you a good picture anyway. I enjoyed the story that ended with killing skeleton king and levelling blacksmith to 10. Pretty intense and long gameplay. And I enjoyed it with all classes.

D4 on the other hand is in open world but you explore it only with one character and even not fully because it is boring and repetitive. Why should I go on the unexplored corner of the map? To kill more repetitive enemies or event? What is the even point. Truth to be told I just rushed through open world ignoring monster and even events just to discover all the dungeons to see if there is some good legendary property. Questline for act I is short af and I still have no idea why I am gathering all the herbs and ores.

14 Likes

I still play D1 from time to time…
I still play D2.
I still play D3 every season.
Im having a blast with D4, The skill tree is more varied than the D2 one… also we don’t know about the special rare items, the 75% of the legendary items, the unique items, obviously your experience with d4 capped at lvl 25 will be limited and maybe feel boring, but go back to play D3 beta, or go and play original D2 act 1 without lvling more than lvl 20 and you will get bored anyways…

8 Likes

My takeaway is that it is a lot of running through mostly-empty spaces. Combat/visuals/sfx seem great so far, but lots of walking around. And I don’t care for this emphasis on open world events with other players as much. Makes it feel like a cheap mmo.

12 Likes

You have a point there, I haven’t been able to play much due to disconnects and queues, but it did feel very… empty. Maybe its rose tinted glasses but I recall a lot more monster density, and monster durability in D1 and 2.

2 Likes

Because it will get better.
You can be upset all you want it won’t stop those of us enjoying the content present even in the beta, and the game has plenty of mechanics we don’t even have access to yet.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see you or anyone else complaining a week later playing the game after release.

D3 beta wasn’t anywhere as long as you say, it was pretty short if you just run like you are doing with D4…
Also it didn’t give a good picture of the game, since endgame at launch was nothing to do with what one expected in the beta, and that was a big critic and even devs recently admited that…

Right back at you my friend.

I’ll be as discontent as I want, and you can keep being content.

You being content won’t change my level of satisfaction, if blizzard wants my bucks, then they need to address my concerns, and clearly concerns that other people have.

4 Likes

My same exact sentiments about this game.

I was expecting something different from this game than this.

The “open world” is meh at best, i’d rather have had just my instance where it’s just me and maybe some friends playing?

The dungeons felt ok’ish, but the sluggish pace, sparse placing of enemies made me zone out multiple times.

Visually the game is pleasant to me, cinematics and ingame it all looks good, at least in my opinion.

But now i also understand why the “premium battle pass” was nailed to this title.
Because the “it’s only cosmetics” probably won’t sell very good if people can’t flaunt their virtual items to other players?

I’ll complete the beta, but this game i most likely won’t purchase, i’d rather keep playing Diablo 3 instead.

10 Likes

I totally enjoy the game so far - and cannot wait for the launch. Don’t agree with you at all. But sure - it’s subjective…

1 Like

The game isn’t for everyone. I love it and will play it for years to come. But then I only play hardcore mode. If you want a challenge then go hardcore mode, or change classes it might improve your gaming experience. Also if your playing Sorc, just don’t, sorc made me want to fall asleep also.

The game feels like a re-skinned Lost Ark, except it has a $90 CAD price tag and it doesn’t even have auto-walk to complete the gazillion fetch/exterminate quests the open world has…

8 Likes