Diablo 4 Fenris Error Possible Fix

If you check your latest Fenris log(FenrisDebug.txt) which is located in the Diablo install folder, scroll all the way down to the bottom where you the [CRASH] entries start. The last [GAME] entries should be your error. For me it was:

E 2023.07.02 21:30:34.694066 [Game] [Prism] pmDevice::CreateTexture() () - DeviceLost, Device removed reason : DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG
E 2023.07.02 21:30:34.694070 [Game] [Prism] Device removal detected.

That pretty much means I have a GPU error. To fix mine, I reinstalled the NVIDIA Driver and forced Diablo to use the correct video card. Easiest way is probably in the Diablo graphics settings under Adapter. You can force it in the NVIDIA control panel as well by changing the default to High Performance NVIDIA Processor or specify that GPU for Diablo.

Good luck

Is that the last line couple lines in your Fenris log? My logs literally show nothing but i did do what you suggested. So gar it still stutters every minute but no crashes at least. This evening i was crashing on average every 3 minutes

1 Like

That was the last line in my log before the [CRASH] Lines started. Glad its atleast allowing you to play as well.

Checking the Fenris log shows that I have the exact problem that you were getting. And after monitoring the task manager along side launching Diablo IV seems to confirm to me that the game is somehow using the integrated GPU (Intel UHD Graphics 770) instead of the RTX 3070 TI video card.

However, the NVIDIA Control Panel isn’t giving me the option to specify the GPU for Diablo. And I’m not sure what you mean by forcing Diablo to use the correct video card in the Diablo Graphics settings under Adapter. (I assume you mean changing the video card settings in-game? Problem is the game is crashing right after the login and not giving me any way of changing any settings in-game before the crash.) Also tried right clicking on the desktop to go to display settings → Graphics Setting and then selecting Diablo IV Retail as an app to set preference and setting it to High Performance GPU, but still getting the same issue (Windows 10 btw). Got any other ideas on how to force the game to use the graphics card?

So in Diablo itself under “Graphics” your second option is to set your GPU.
As for me I after 3 days of issues went into my NVIDIA control panel - “Manage 3D settings” clicked Program settings in there instead of global, clicked add and added “Diablo4” and scrolled down to power management mode and set it to prefer maximum performance, opened the game and lowered my fps from 144 to 120 and i havent crashed yet, Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Scratch that, it crashed after 10 mins

1 Like

Try setting everything to use the high performance gpu in NVIDIA control panel

A friend told me to try going to LocalPrefs.txt in the Documents\Diablo IV Folder and edited the line Adapter “0” —> Adapter “1”. Then Diablo IV ran perfectly fine after that.

Your post did help me save a lot of time troubleshooting the Fenris error though! Thanks! :smile:

4 Likes

No problem. Ive seen a few posts where ppl deleted that localprefs file and it worked.

Fenris is probably just blizzard’s internal codename for their logger. What’s important is the error it logs. For me it was the driver failing to respond correctly so what fixed it for me was rolling back nvidia driver to 535.98 which was the one nvidia rolled out for D4 first day. I tested it by overclocking to my previous max again and have not crashed in over an hour of playing whereas with the latest drivers I was getting fenris error with this max OC after a few minutes of gameplay.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.