Damage of abilities goes down as we level

So just noticed that when I ding my damage goes down on my abilities. I couldn’t figure out at first why my damage kept going down after Min/Maxing. This reaaallly sucks. For no reason when you level you do less damage. This shouldn’t happen, in fact it should be the opposite.

6 Likes

It goes down because you need gear to match

Because of level scaling yes you tend to get weaker each level but thats normal.

Eventually you stop leveling and gear continues

That dumb

Yea that’s stupid not happy to see that WoW feature. Damage on abilities should never go down when you level. They should only go up since you are getting stats. That isn’t good RPG design.

If an ability does 400 damage when you level it should go up do 410 etc… Never go down. Can’t see how they think that is good for this type of game. Love in D2 you level and you get more powerful. Stats increase power, abilities.

It’s just weird anti RPG (power progression) design.

9 Likes

It’s so that the entire world can scale to your level

You’re right, that in D2 whenever you level you get more powerful. The issue there, is that monsters don’t, so you very quickly outscale them. If you wanted to go farm Blood Raven for example, at level 1 it’d be real tough. At 5 it’d still be a challenge. At 10 it wouldn’t be too hard. At 15 it’d be a complete cakewalk

Whereas in D4, you could farm “Blood Raven” as much as you wanted. Level 1, 5, 10, 15… it’d all feel relatively similar

They both have their pros and cons imo. In D2 you certainly get a cleaner sense of progression, what was once hard is now easy. But at the same time, you’re practically required to grind to actually continue progressing, and a lot of the game just becomes dead content. There’s no reason to run Den of Evil 5 times, you’re mostly locked into a couple of zones/bosses

In D4 your sense of progression isn’t quite as clean, you’ll have spikes up and down based upon gear / large skill unlocks, but the entire game is free to farm and it’ll all be relatively equal in terms of efficiency

then go play diablo 2

Welcome to the great wide world of level/item scaling. That would be that thing that everyone else said was fine and has no affect oof the game.

1 Like

Wow feature? Ff8 did it and thats not even an mmo and was way vefore wow. Some games just do this. Anyway back on topic. The reason you do less damage isnt because of your equipment. They said that npcs gain armor and resistance the higher level they are as well. Its part of their plan to help counter inflated damage numbers i guess

I still believe its fine. In fact. I finished act 1 at level 39. I did almost every side quest in the zone and got every statue.l before i finished it. I wouldnt have had as much incentive if i was gaining no xp.

Totally unconstructive troll response.

There is good and bad design for character progression. Leveling is character progression but when you do, you regress. Which feels bad EVERY level. It’s Anti-RPG and popularized by WoW. How about we keep WoW in WoW and keep Diablo in Diablo.

Thanks

2 Likes

agreeed so we shud keep diablo 4 as diablo 4 and diablo 2 as diablo 2

Fully disagree. The world scaling feels amazing because you can choose to explore the world without penalty. There are levels where you feel “powered down” but also still have times of large spikes in power due to weapons and/or large skill unlocks.

As someone who plays D2(R) with ./playersX scaling… It feels right at home to me but if you want to easily faceroll filler content I can totally understand how it can suck.

So everyone knows that World scaling and Character scaling are completely different things right?

You can have World scaling and not have regressive Character scaling where you get weaker.

1 Like

Dude, is not that you get weaker, that you are doing less damage, its because mobs gets stronger so you are doing the same damage against higher hp mobs. So in order to combat, you need to gear up. your 400 damage looks a lot more damage to a mob that has 600 hp rather than 1200 hp. Also, most zones has a cap on what lvl mobs can go up to. Im sure it would increased with each world tier after but, its not stupid just because its a different concept or idea or that you just didn’t understand it. Most new things people considered stupid are actually the new trends.

Yea it is. Look at your tool tip for damage abilities. Write them down. Then level and look again they are all lower because you leveled.

Same for Armor once you level your Armor reduction goes down because you leveled.

This is how scaling works in MMO’s and they applied it to this game. It feels bad for progression because you need item upgrades to gain back the power you lost for the new level.

Wells, lets say you’re right, maybe it slightly goes down, but why is it even a problem? We still breeze through the game. I played probably 2-4 hrs each day and i still made it to lvl 60 and able to do tier 18 nightmare dungeon which mobs are 18 lvls higher than me. It can’t be that bad, just change some gears and skills around and try to aim for what you like and works best. I have a staff, which all staves has 25% increased damage to crowd control, with substats of 40% damage to vulnerable, 25% damage to chilled enemies, 25% damage to frozen enemies, 15% increased cold damage. its insane, just gotta match your gears and skill sets and you’ll breeze through the game. At least until you do get to nightmare dungeons and everything 2 shots you. . . xD

I am and other are right too. At no point should you get weaker in a progression ARPG because you leveled. At no point should leveling be a penalty in power.

It gets worse the higher level you are. It falls off a cliff and you get substantially weaker especially in the latter levels after 80 and it’s extremely bad after 90 since there isn’t gear to match the scaling.

Wait till you get higher level and you start feeling weaker because you leveled. When content starts to get actually challenging. Then you can’t find any upgrades to compensate for the loss in power from leveling.

Hey bro I agree, unfortunately there are always people who will white knight awful unintuitive design we paid 100 dollars for. “Just get gear bro” :woozy_face:

3 Likes

Massive inadequate skill issue

in what fracking universe?

2 Likes

No it doesn’t.

It just feels that way because the enemy’s health and armor is increasing.