D4 out of memory

I don’t know if it’ll help with this specific crash scenario or not but i was able to fix all of mine by limiting my fps to 60. specifically I lowered the refresh rate of my monitor from 240 down to 60hz and then I turned on vsync which limited the fps to 60. Haven’t had a crash since

Game crashed after 1-2 minutes of gameplay with the following error message:

"Diablo IV has run out of memory and the application needs to exit."

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: Geforce RTX3070 8GB (driver version 531.29)
Memory: 32GB
Antivirus: ESET Internet Security 16.0.26.0

As the recommended memory is 16GB (minimum is 8GB) it’s a possible memory leak bug.
Temporary workaround was to change the game settings to low.

I have the same issue… My game does not crash however…

Even in menu it uses 12gb of vram out of 16gb… and 15gb system ram out of 32gb…

Not to be that guy but thought I would post in case it helps any. I played both friday and sat all day long and crashed once in like the second hour the server opened and that was it. I do not recall any error code, the game just crashed.

I have a 5800x
32gb ram
1080ti 11gb vram
2 tb nvme (for games only game is installed here)
windows 10 22H2 build 19045

game is set on high

max fps in foreground was set to 150 and the next setting below it set to 8fps, I just changed that 150 fps to max at 70 fps

Playing on a 1080p 60hz tv, I checked via task manager and it shows my ram usage was at like 20 gb/32

Just to keep this alive for this next round of testing.
On system A under windows 10, I would crash every 5-10 mins when playing on High graphics setting with an error of out of memory. MSI Afterburner would show me hitting 32GB in use + the 16GB of Vram in use. This was at 1440P
Same system booted under Windows 11 22H2, Stayed around 22GB of memory use and no crashes.

A 2nd system running windows 10 with 32GB memory, but a video card with only 8GB of Vram, did not crash, though it had stutters as it seemed to be hitting the pagefile a lot. This was at 1080P

Both systems are AMD with AMD video cards running the AMD March 7th video drivers and March 3rd chipsets drives. Will be interested to see if the problem is still there. since I saw a software update applied today.

I add my stone to the edifice: i had a few scares at the beginning of the beta with black screens and the PC not responding at all. This happened only a few seconds after playing my character.
I noticed that there was some kind of memory leak because the used memory on my windows (11) was going up really quickly, as soon as I connected my character, and boom, crash.
I managed to fix the problem by switching the presets to Medium instead of high

1. GPU card vendor and model number: Zotack RTX3070 OC edition
  2. Display resolution when running Diablo IV : 2560*1440
  3. Display mode (Windowed/Windowed Fullscreen/Fullscreen): Windowed and Fullscreen, same problem
  4. Max Foreground FPS, Max Background FPS: default values (my windows 11 is at 120, so i guess 120 for Foreground)
  5. Diablo IV graphic quality settings, preset with Low/Medium/High : had problem on HIGH only (default value for my config), it was ok on medium, memory usage stabilized

pc config : i5 9600k, 32Go DDR4, SSD Samsung 1To, Win11

Same issue here on 2 pc’s:
First is a Desktop PC with:
Ryzen 3800X, Asus X570 board, 32GB DDR4 3600 ram, NVME disk for installation and a Radeon 5700XT graphics card.
Second is a Lenovo Legion 7 Laptop with:
Ryzen 5800 cpu, 32GB DDR4 3200 ram, Nvidia 3070 GPU and NVME disk for installation.
On both pc’s diablo was using more than 30Gb of ram plus all the graphics memory available and on several ocations the pc’s ran out of memory and crashed.
I ran the game mostly on High but toned down shadows and other usual suspects for stuttering and low fps. On both systems the game was run as it launched by default (auto settings) windowed fullscreen (1080p for PC -16x9- and 1600p -16x10- on the laptop) also, I had HDR on the laptop but looked horrible so I disabled it.
WTF BLIZZARD???

Played for 4 minutes today. Barely got to town and then got the Out of Memory error.
Now I have to wait another hour or so for the queue. Sucks because I have 32 GB of memory which should be more than good enough.

It seems super weird to me that a game even has a memory error like this in 2023.

When you get back in try setting textures to medium or low. Do not run textures on high.

They already were on Medium. :frowning: I turned them down during the last beta and I checked to make sure they were still on Medium today.

Great, I have yet to get into the game, waiting through the queue, so once I’m in I’ll probably have the same issue. Ugh.

Ran into the same issue last week (Inno3D RTX 3080).

I fixed it for me on Sunday by downgrading my GPU driver to the one released start of February (last before the new driver branch, don’t remember the exact version number).

This week’s Elden Ring patch was rather unstable and solution was to upgrade the GPU driver, so now I’m back at Diablo 4 crashing/running out of memory, especially with Chrome open in parallel.

So if any of you suffer from this, downgrading drivers might be worth a try. Right now sitting in queue to try lower settings with the latest driver.

1 Like

I had my settings turned down to medium last week and was stable all weekend after experiencing this issue multiple times.

Even on medium with 32 GB of RAM Diablo 4 just ran out of memory again and crashed. I have updated to the latest Nvidia driver made for Diablo 4 hoping this issue would be resolved and I could try high settings but before I could even swap up to High it ran out of memory and crashed.

I will log back in and try again before rolling back my drivers. I will tweak some other settings to try and bring the ram usage down before the queues get out of control.

1 Like

What seemed to have helped or atleast fix it was turning down settings to medium/low and enabling and putting pagefile size to 32gb so far no crashes even tho 1st beta i was getting it every 5 mins

Same error, twice now. I did not have this error in the first beta weekend so it’s an issue with something they patched in this weeks beta.

PC Specs:
Ryzen 5600x
EVGA RTX 3080
32G Ram DDR4
Windows 11

1 Like

Same problem here.
|Prosessor|Intel(R) Core™ i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz|
|Installert RAM|32,0 GB|
|Installert GPU| NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
|Systemtype|64-biters operativsystem, x64-basert prosessor|
|Skjerminstilling|1920 x 1080, 120 Hz

I kinda solved the oom error by turning everything down to medium on my PC (all AMD hardware, 32gb and nvme storage) ridiculous but at least, this is not causing the crashes.

I think I know why the RAM usage was so high, it was because of the High-Resolution Assets pack, it was meant for 4k.
Ofc the game looks insane on high texture but it will require a lot of VRAM too, so I uninstall that pack and play on medium instead, unless you have a 16+ GB VRAM

Changed from medium to low graphic settings now, and still getting memory crashes all the time. With a PC that is far above the requirements.
Last week medium settings seemed to be enough to not make it crash as often, but not anymore.

D4 has run out of memory

Gtx 1080ti
16gm
I7 8700k